SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Android user requests advice and tips, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Android user requests advice and tips, please Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
My iPhone 5s went belly up yesterday. It has been collapsing scaringly more and more often, going from 30 % battery load to brain dead and not responding. Last time it would not charge at all became warm to the touch. Brought it back to life putting it into the fridge for a few hours...
Batteries unavailable down here and unaffordabe iPhone replacement I bought a Huawei phone. The Missus said I deserved to feel miserable like her (she gave me her iPhone when I killed mine). Huawei it is.

Now, the learning curve begins. Too many apps to count.
I got what I need, Teamviewer, Vlc, pretty much done BUT I amstuck at the Mail client. Wich one?
I use Hotmail and a few pop3 accounts, mostly.
Have a gmail account quite old but pretty much unused because of privacy concern. Must I use the provided Gmail mail manager or would you suggest otherwise.

Used to the simple if not too basic iPhone mail client. Also.should I dl Safari or stick to Chrome anf Firefox?

Thanks

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Android = Google. I don’t trust them.

As for email I would look at Protonmail.com. You have to pay for it but it’s encrypted and located in Switzerland. You can use an app or access it via a browser.

Posts: 3954 | Location: UNK | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Just looking for a simple app to manage my accounts.

Not really concerned about security. My emails are as uninteresting as,they can be. What I try to avoid is getting spammed up the wazoo.
My main ISP, Fibertel, feeds me at least 10 useless email every day times the number of accounts I have. It becomes time consuming and tirying finding my single emails in all that much crap. Every odd year I try unsubscribing out of frustration but the crapmail never stops or diminishes. No issues with Hotmail or my other ISPs.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12110 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I just use my Comcast account with no issues.

There are a ton of YouTube videos for learning Android tips and tricks.

The latest Android operating systems are very secure in my opinion. I haven't had any issues in a long time.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
..should I dl Safari or stick to Chrome and Firefox?

Android would best prefer Chrome, I use Firefox with no big problems.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Firefox or Chrome, both work well. As for email, I use a downloaded app called Outlook (no, not the M$ outlook) that is ad supported minimally. I also use the Gmail app which has pretty good spam trapping.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of btgoanna
posted Hide Post
I use K-9 Mail for home accounts
TouchDown for work accounts (so i can keep them separate)

Chrome is fine as Browser

Posts: 832 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: November 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I use MailDroid on my Android devices. Very solid and featureful, especially for the price ($0.00).

Posts: 6474 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
My iPhone 5s went belly up yesterday. It has been collapsing scaringly more and more often, going from 30 % battery load to brain dead and not responding. Last time it would not charge at all became warm to the touch. Brought it back to life putting it into the fridge for a few hours...
Batteries unavailable down here and unaffordabe iPhone replacement I bought a Huawei phone. The Missus said I deserved to feel miserable like her (she gave me her iPhone when I killed mine). Huawei it is.

Now, the learning curve begins. Too many apps to count.
I got what I need, Teamviewer, Vlc, pretty much done BUT I amstuck at the Mail client. Wich one?
I use Hotmail and a few pop3 accounts, mostly.
Have a gmail account quite old but pretty much unused because of privacy concern. Must I use the provided Gmail mail manager or would you suggest otherwise.

Used to the simple if not too basic iPhone mail client. Also.should I dl Safari or stick to Chrome anf Firefox?

Thanks

0-0

No idea what version of Android that phone comes with, but on my Google Pixel XL I originally used Gmail for my work Exchange email and others (it's not just for Gmail). It's a great email client. (I'm forced to use Outlook now for work email controlled by an MDM app).

Just FYI but the six top US intelligence chiefs recently warned against buying Huawei phones.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

Just FYI but the six top US intelligence chiefs recently warned against buying Huawei phones.

I'll bet you it's not really a big concern in Argentina.

I use Outlook for my Hotmail account since they're both Microsoft products but I really don't do much with email on my phone except swipe the notifications away. I also use Firefox for web browsing so I can sync my bookmarks and passwords across my PC and Cell phone installs. You can do the same with other browsers I'm sure.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
So long as you have no work limitations....

Chrome for Browser
Gmail for mail client

...will likely offer you the best performance and user experience.

And as for all the palm wringing about privacy issues, if you're on a cellphone or computer, and not tunneling through a VPN, you can pretty much be assured you have no privacy regardless the program you opt for. So no sexting on that new Huawei phone. Razz Big Grin

By the way, which Huawei model did you get?

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimineer:

As for email I would look at Protonmail.com. You have to pay for it but it’s encrypted and located in Switzerland. You can use an app or access it via a browser.

ProtonMail has a free version.

I use Gmail as my main email and protonmail for anything I don't want scanned by Google.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you trust Apple any more than Google? If so I'd enjoy an explanation as to how Apple is more trustworthy.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Huawei Honor 7X a few months back and am really impressed by it. (Of course I came from a 7 year old LG running android 2.4.2. LOL). I'm using the native EMUI mail app with both my ISP and Yahoo mail accounts. I rarely use Gmail and let the EMUI/Android app handle it. Works fine for me. Smile

As for not trusting Android / Google, same goes for Apple and all the rest. There's no free lunch. I also think the government BS about Huawei's phones is just that. Their concern is that Huawei sets up a worldwide standard for 5G LTE and not some US firm. Just be careful with what apps you use (i immediately dumped facefart and all the rest of the social media crap as well as google apps I don't want/need. I also eschew using the phone for transaction payment, banking, medical records, etc. Keep your profile low is my counsel. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
None of you Huawei owners are concerned about using one of their phones?

--------------------

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

This ^^^^^

I won't rehash the many, many reasons Google (Alphabet) has given me to distrust them, including YouTube's recent anti-gun actions, but, of all the Internet presences there are, I'm beginning to distrust Google/Alphabet the most.

Latest episode: I had a Twitter account. As of this morning they'd locked it for "automated activity in violation of Twitter's TOS." Say what? I was signed on on my tablet with *their* app and with the Vivaldi browser on my desktop.

So I start going through their re-activation procedure, which, it turns out, demands you give them your mobile number--so they can send a verification code, dontjaknow.

That ain't gonna happen. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not. Ever.

It was during this process I became aware Twitter is owned by Alphabet, the owners of Google. That made it real easy to send them a "please delete my account" request. Had I realized Twitter was owned by that shit-stain on the Internet I'd have dumped it months ago, when I divested myself of Everything Else Google.

quote:

Oh, c'mon, a Chinese-made phone, with their own "enhancements" to an already horribly-insecure mobile operating system, churned-out by a company that monetizes its users? What could possibly go wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And as for all the palm wringing about privacy issues, if you're on a cellphone or computer, and not tunneling through a VPN, you can pretty much be assured you have no privacy regardless the program you opt for.

Nonsense.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:

This ^^^^^

I won't rehash the many, many reasons Google (Alphabet) has given me to distrust them, including YouTube's recent anti-gun actions, but, of all the Internet presences there are, I'm beginning to distrust Google/Alphabet the most.

Latest episode: I had a Twitter account. As of this morning they'd locked it for "automated activity in violation of Twitter's TOS." Say what? I was signed on on my tablet with *their* app and with the Vivaldi browser on my desktop.

So I start going through their re-activation procedure, which, it turns out, demands you give them your mobile number--so they can send a verification code, dontjaknow.

That ain't gonna happen. Not today. Not tomorrow. Not. Ever.

It was during this process I became aware Twitter is owned by Alphabet, the owners of Google. That made it real easy to send them a "please delete my account" request. Had I realized Twitter was owned by that shit-stain on the Internet I'd have dumped it months ago, when I divested myself of Everything Else Google.

quote:

Oh, c'mon, a Chinese-made phone, with their own "enhancements" to an already horribly-insecure mobile operating system, churned-out by a company that monetizes its users? What could possibly go wrong?

quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
And as for all the palm wringing about privacy issues, if you're on a cellphone or computer, and not tunneling through a VPN, you can pretty much be assured you have no privacy regardless the program you opt for.

Nonsense.

Sooooo, you must only be using land lines and payphones?! That is definitely old school.

--------------------

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

Twitter is owned by Alphabet? Smile that's news to me.. c'mon

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DMF:
quote:
Do you trust Apple any more than Google? If so I'd enjoy an explanation as to how Apple is more trustworthy.

I'd be eager to hear that explanation too.

C'mon guys, 0-0 asked for help with a phone that he already has. He wants help with his existing phone.

Posting that you don't trust Google is not answering his question or adding meaningfully to the discussion.

Here is a review on a few different email applications: https://www.androidauthority.c...d-email-apps-579368/

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm not as I posted above. It's all BS as what the real issue is centers on who develops and implements 5G LTE protocols. Our government does NOT want the Chinese (Huawei) taking the lead (understandable).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16219 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post