SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Healthcare Insurance...How to Compare Plans
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Healthcare Insurance...How to Compare Plans Login/Join 
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted
It's that time of year again when we have to select a healthcare plan. Typically, we use my wife's insurance, she's a teacher. However, the cost has gone up enough on hers and mine has gone down, but I have like dozens of options being with the feds. I know OPM has a site with info to compare the plans, been there done that, but we have variables that are not easy to quantify. For one my daughter is a Type 1 diabetic (pancreas failed), my wife has massive migraines, all of which require meds. Depending on the plans I checked it would cost us $2,000 to $60 per month out of pocket. Is there some third party site you can go to to vet these plans out and enter all the meds you need on a regular basis? I'm just looking for the best financial choice without having to dedicate the next 30 days of my life to researching it.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Anyone ever use Consumers Checkbook? They appear to do a comparison for $10.95. I'm just wondering if they aren't just pulling all the data from the OPM site and reconstituting it then billing you for it. Any experience with them?

FYI...appears legit. Using it right now. Doesn't quite provide the fidelity I was looking for, but definitely easier to get the information you want quickly so, Yes, it was worth the $10.95 fee.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3627 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I think in your shoes, I'd put the time in making calls to them and nailing down the drug costs, and in particular, seeing if they require any brand or equivalent substitutions. Also verify access to the doctors and facilities you prefer. Some might be narrow-network requiring you to use the affiliated health system of their particular insurance arm. If you're happy with your daughter's nephrologist, you don't want to change to a new one just because they work for the insurance company.

Posts: 11385 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not sure what area you're in, but I'm sticking with Blue Cross. Premiums and copays stay the same, no deductibles. Kids like their doctors so I see no need to change.

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most members of Congress seem to choose the High Option Blue Cross Plan. I would call your physicians and make sure they are in Network. Typically they pay doctors better than the other options and require fewer preauthorizations. The next step is making sure your favorite hospital is network. A simple call to the plan should reveal whether your drugs are covered.

ALL of these plans are vetted by the Feds so your chances of getting screwed are minimized. I would not bother with any site that charges you money to compare plans.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I make a spreadsheet that factors in what I know I'd spend on each plan (premium, office co-pay, 'scripts, etc.) and then takes a large insurance event into account by maxing the out of pocket I'd get hit with. Then figure out if the docs I want to see are covered. I end up paying a little bit more each month for a plan that relieves me of the burden of paying up to some deductible in the event something happens.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Most members of Congress seem to choose the High Option Blue Cross Plan. I would call your physicians and make sure they are in Network. Typically they pay doctors better than the other options and require fewer preauthorizations. The next step is making sure your favorite hospital is network. A simple call to the plan should reveal whether your drugs are covered.

ALL of these plans are vetted by the Feds so your chances of getting screwed are minimized. I would not bother with any site that charges you money to compare plans.

OPM sent an email saying they are dropping the high option Blue Cross this year. Everyone will be auto-reduced to the standard plan.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post