SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I Phone texe messages.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Phone texe messages. Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know how to retrieve old text messages on an I Phone 5 SE? Mine only has messages going back to September of last year and I need some messages from July.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
I'm watching this thread, 'cause I'd like to know how to do that, too.

Also, I'd like to know how to move audio files from the phone to a computer or other storage device like a thumb drive. I have some unbearably cute messages from grandchildren that I want to preserve for posterity. . .

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
Does anyone know how to retrieve old text messages on an I Phone 5 SE? Mine only has messages going back to September of last year and I need some messages from July.

Can't do it.

In settings > messages > Keep Messages

You have the option to set your phone to keep forever, 1 Year, or 30 days. I keep mine set up at "forever" but delete from time to time as they take up quite a bit room after a while.

To save a Voice Mail, simply open the VM and click the box with an arrow through it at the top right. From there you can select to email an MP4 of your voicemail to yourself.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Something to try.
Go to Spotlight Search in your General settings and make sure messages is selected.
Go back to the home screen and swipe right to bring up a search screen. Type words from the messages you're looking for. I've been able to pull up some old messages that don't show up anywhere. I've pulled back deleted data this way.
Maybe a bug, the version of IOS I was using or maybe a iCloud setting, but just about anything dating back at least a few years would show up.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

Also, I'd like to know how to move audio files from the phone to a computer or other storage device like a thumb drive. I have some unbearably cute messages from grandchildren that I want to preserve for posterity. . .

When you plug an Android phone into a computer, it acts just like any other storage device. You can create, move, and remove files...basically just like a flash drive. Can't you do that with an iPhone? Moving audio files and movie files is the same. With my file manager on my phone, I have a pretty organized file hierarchy with My Documents, Pictures, Movies, Songs, Work Docs, Taxes, etc.

Makes transferring files to the computer super easy. You can even use the search function on your PC just like if you were searching for files on your hard drive.

Certainly the iPhone allows that...no?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:

Hmmm...for one I cannot remember the last time I plugged my phone into my computer, but I do not remember seeing any files for phone VM's.

Maybe you can though. I just do everything from the cloud and move anything I want to save to my Dropbox account.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Hahaha. You're funny. Big Grin

iPhones go through iTunes, which is pretty much the worst program ever.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
I've started taking screenshots to save text messages. The images are pretty small files.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
quote:

Hahaha. You're funny. Big Grin

iPhones go through iTunes, which is pretty much the worst program ever.

Yeah, there's the rub. How can I get the file off the phone and onto some other media (computer hard drive, flash drive, etc.) as an MP3 or other file type?

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yeah, there's the rub. How can I get the file off the phone and onto some other media (computer hard drive, flash drive, etc.) as an MP3 or other file type?

See my response above, you may e-mail the files to yourself in MP4 form.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nope. That's way too simple for Apple.

Reason #473 why I use Android phones. Wink

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm SOL. I had the messages set on Hold Forever as Ronin suggests and they are still gone. I also tried what Jupiter suggested and no luck. Thanks anyway guys.

Posts: 5731 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Here's what I did:

Take the device with the recording on it and play it over speakerphone.

Use another device (I also have an iPad) and record the message using an app like Audio Memos and then you email it to yourself and save it to your computer or external disk drive.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess I'm SOL. I had the messages set on Hold Forever as Ronin suggests and they are still gone. I also tried what Jupiter suggested and no luck. Thanks anyway guys.

Did you change phones since then? That happened to me once...my text messages did not carry forward to the next phone.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Does anyone know how to retrieve old text messages on an I Phone 5 SE?

I think the only way is by FISA warrant through the NSA. Or maybe Ed Snowden can help you.. .

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

To move audio files or pictures to your computer simply plug in your iPhone to computer, as soon as iTunes turns on close it.
Then go to "computer", and your devices are going to appear like your c drive, DVD drive and so on. One of the new drives is your iPhone. Open that drive. There will be several folders and all your music and photos will be in there. Then you can just click and save or transfer complete file to your computer or device.
Hope this helps.

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Which iphone are you using that shows files?

Are you on windows? I don't have a mac.
All i see when i plug in my iphone to my windows pc is the pictures folder.

I have to use itunes to put music on my phone. My daughter uses something called copy trans to move files back and forth. Apple is not as accommodating as android.

I back up my phone once a month and when i needed to recover a text msg i used the last backup to get it but it's probably too late for the op.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
quote:

Have you gone into the message thread that has the old messages you are looking for and tapped the time at the top of the screen (above the name of the person you were texting). That will take you to the top of the messages. Keep tapping the time to keep loading older messages.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
There are possibly a few ways to retrieve the messages if you back up the phone to iTunes once in a while.

There are 3rd party software packages which will retrieve the messages off of the backups.

Another possible method which may work is to restore the phone from a backup. It may reload those old messages, or it may not. I would do this as a last resort after trying the 3rd party software.

You may be able to recover erased texts from the phone itself using 3rd party software even if the phone has not been backed up to iTunes. But this requires the deleted data has not been overwritten by new data, making it a gamble.

Posts: 9399 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Which iphone are you using that shows files?

Are you on windows? I don't have a mac.
All i see when i plug in my iphone to my windows pc is the pictures folder.

I have to use itunes to put music on my phone. My daughter uses something called copy trans to move files back and forth. Apple is not as accommodating as android.

I back up my phone once a month and when i needed to recover a text msg i used the last backup to get it but it's probably too late for the op.

I have used this on many iPhones including 4s, 5, and now 7 plus. But yes, on a windows computer.
Never used a mac computer. Always works on windows platform.

Posts: 26 | Registered: February 26, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post