SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    choose your grade at UGA course // UPDATE: UGA says to remove the "stress reduction policy"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

choose your grade at UGA course // UPDATE: UGA says to remove the "stress reduction policy" Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://people.terry.uga.edu/rwatson/mist4550&6550/

Energy Informatics

Course description

Energy Informatics involves analyzing, designing, and implementing systems to increase the efficiency of energy demand and supply systems. This requires the collection and analysis of data used to optimize energy distribution and consumption networks. Students will leverage the necessary information systems competencies and multi-disciplinary knowledge to increase societal energy efficiency.

Sustainability is usually defined as “meeting the needs of the current generation without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” Sustainability is currently one of the most important issues facing our world, and will continue to be so for decades as it will take a long time to reverse some adverse environmental changes.

Stress reduction policy

Emotional reactions to stressful situations can have profound consequences for all involved. In order to avoid such situations in this class, the following policies will apply:

All tests and exams will be designed to assess low level mastery of the course material.

If you feel unduly stressed by a grade for any assessable material or the overall course, you can email the instructor indicating what grade you think is appropriate, and it will be so changed . No explanation is required, but it is requested that you consider waiting 24 hours before emailing the instructor.

If in a group meeting, you feel stressed by your group’s dynamics, you should leave the meeting immediately and need offer no explanation to the group members. Furthermore, you can request to discontinue all further group work and your grade will be based totally on non-group work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sdy,

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
Stop the planet, I want off.

Posts: 5736 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Snowflake U?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Jesus Harold Christ on a rubber crutch...

Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Jesus Harold Christ on a rubber crutch. Roll Eyes
I always wondered what the 'H' stood for.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnnyD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Jesus Harold Christ on a rubber crutch. Roll Eyes
I always wondered what the 'H' stood for.

I thought it was Howard. "Howard be thy name".

-----------------------------------

USAF/ANG Retired

Posts: 782 | Location: Garland, (Zombieland) TX. | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
How many points does a 3-pt basket count for?

UGA: The Cesspool of the South

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
All this BS everyone passes, pick your grade crap is just that.

If I was hiring and knew a University or College did this it would be a mark against the candidate. In this way, this crap waters down everyone else that studies hard and makes the grade.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
These idiots don't even realize or give a shit that all they are doing is setting these students up for failure when they get to the real world where no such ridiculous "low stress" policy exists and they cannot handle it.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
The professors don't care about the students.

I read an article some time ago that the feedback forms for professors became a powerful weapon. The students highly rated the professors who gave high grades. The professors looked good w all the positive feedback.

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.c4c15818e317

In 1969, 7 percent of undergraduates had grades of A- or higher in contrast to 41 percent now. Similarly, grades of C or less have dropped from 25 percent to 5 percent.

Interviews with two dozen employers produced a similar response. They criticized the recent college grads they hired for “expecting to be rewarded for showing up,” “wanting the keys to the kingdom on day one,” “asking for a raise after a month of mediocre work,” “having their parents fight their battles,” and “being unable to take criticism.”

Here’s the problem. Three out of five undergraduates now believe their inflated grades understate their true academic ability. To put this into perspective, 45 percent are coming to college weak in basic skills, having to take at least one remedial course in math or writing. Over the years that number has risen almost as quickly as their grades

Posts: 19569 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
Nothing new. 45 years ago I took Psych 101 and we were allowed to grade ourselves. That prof wasn't there the following year.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Nothing new.
Come on. Yes, it is new. It's symptomatic of the insanity going on on college campuses in this country, so don't try to trivialize this by comparing it to colleges a half century ago. Colleges back then were NOTHING like they are today.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107556 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Oddly enough, if you go to the link provided in the OP, you'll notice that the "Stress Policy" has been removed today.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6851 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing anything in the link about the Stress Reduction Policy.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
"Low level" mastery? How do you master anything at a low level?

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Hell, this might be prime time to get my MBA. I can get 100% reimbursement for A's. If I can choose my grade I'll get it done in no time.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
I had one, and one only, class like that in my collage education. Of course, that was 45 years ago. Smile
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackmore:
Nothing new.

I was forced to take some specific classes to complete a personal educational goal.

I had a full summer school schedule of required classes 49 years ago this very month.

One of the EdD profs, as vapid and worthless a teacher I've ever seen, announced the last week of 'class' that we would be expected to supply our own class grade along with a one-sentence statement explaining our choice.

So 'new' is not accurate.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an instructor who stated on day one of the course that, as of the start of the semester, we all had an "A" and that it was up to us to prove him wrong. So yeah, we got to choose our grade in that course too!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MRMATT:
"Low level" mastery? How do you master anything at a low level?

How do you NOT!??

Hell, I've mastered everything in the universe at a low level. Some lower than others.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post