SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hickock45 - The Grammar Commando
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hickock45 - The Grammar Commando Login/Join 
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cycler:
Two of the most misused words on shooting/gun forums are sight and site. I can't count the number of times I've read that someone has installed new sites on their pistol.

Now, neither of these words should be confused with cite or the user will be cited for not sighting proper grammar on this web site.

Well done!

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
My 7th grade English teacher, Mrs. Hanley. Scared the crap out of all who had her class. But looking back she was the best teacher I ever had. We would do the breakdowns, learned all the parts of a sentence.

She would go off on folks for using slang, etc. The one that really set her off was "busted", the car was busted.... Her, oh, it had breasts?

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
"I should not have threw my gun down."
Anybody can see that should be:
"I should not have be done threw my gun down."

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
does anyone remember what a "predicate nominative" is? I sure don't.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
“Even if you’re in Kentucky, what should that (word) be?” Smile Funny guy!

That's just some self deprecating humor on Hickok 45's part. He was born and raised in Kentucky, Boone County if I remember correctly. I ran in to him a year or two ago at a big Gun Show in Louisville and I asked him why he is always poking fun at people from Kentucky. That's when he told me he's a Kentucky native and that he always says that as a way of poking fun at himself. He now lives in Pleasant View, Tennessee just northwest of Nashville. He was junior high school English/Language Arts teacher in a private school in Nashville for several years before retiring and doing his YouTube gig.
I remember reading that his YouTube career started with him making a video about the Colt SAA revolver to spark his student's interest in reading the Western "Shane". He had just assigned this to his classes. As a public school teacher of 30 years, I am very envious. If I made any type of firearm related video to demonstrate a scientific principle to one of my high school science classes, I would probably be called before the board of education. All it would take is one student to tell their liberal parents that their science teacher is a gun nut and that would start the ball rolling for me to be called onto the carpet!

Posts: 375 | Location: The Dark And Bloody Ground | Registered: July 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LtJL:
does anyone remember what a "predicate nominative" is? I sure don't.
Yes, I do. Predicate nominatives are nouns that essentially re-identify the subject via a "linking verb"; transitive verbs take an object, intransitive verbs do not. Linking verbs are intransitive.

Example: John's dog is a setter. The subject of that sentence is "dog", the predicate nominative is "setter", and the linking verb is "is".

However, most examples of predicate nominatives don't necessarily appear as being in the nominative case (as opposed to the objective case) because in English very few nouns appear different between the cases. (Just seeing the word "dog" or "setter" without context does not reveal what case it is in.) Only personal pronouns typically change form to show their case ("he" is nominative, "him" is objective, "his" is possessive). As a consequence, errors in case usage are most obvious when personal pronouns are involved.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
She would go off on folks for using slang, etc. The one that really set her off was "busted", the car was busted.... Her, oh, it had breasts?

The use of the word "busted" as a substitute for "broken" has spread to mainstream news outlets. That really irritates me.
When the Deepwater Horizon disaster occurred, I recall lots of news "headlines" used that phrase when describing the disaster.

For example: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3988...und-busted-gulf-rig/

quote:
'Crime scene' security set up around busted Gulf rig

Roll Eyes

Posts: 4128 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
He will show up at our range from time to time, tall drink o water.....Seems to be a nice fellow.

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am so glad to see this, especially the second one, as I fear that the ignorance of routine rules of grammar is becoming so pervasive, especially by those , who should know better, that it will become accepted.
It drives me crazy to hear someone say, "Me and my friend did such and such.." I heard this from a sportscaster on Sirius radio the other day talking about some athlete, "him and his friend went to LSU."
The worst was several years ago, when some female writer for the Christian Scientist Monitor, was held hostage for several months in the Middle East before being released. When she got back to the states, the newspaper held a big party for her, a clip of which was shown on the news. She was going on and on about how much she liked her job saying, "Even before we worked here, me and my friends always read The Monitor."
This from a person, who is a "journalist", probably a graduate of some Ivy League school. I hope she has an editor.
As for Hickock I hope his next door neighbor will let me know if he ever decides to sell his house.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
I am so glad to see this, especially the second one, as I fear that the ignorance of routine rules of grammar is becoming so pervasive, especially by those , who should know better, that it will become accepted.

Oh, make no mistake: The highest common denominator, which isn't very damn high, will try to make it so.

Right after I got out of the Army I took a factory job. Was on an afternoon shift. Worked with a neat group of guys. (And the QC babe that stopped by in the morning was worth every moment of the shift!)

But I could not seem to "connect well" with my colleagues, except one. One day he and I were out on a Saturday, cruising around and doing stuff, when he up and told me why. "You'd get along much better with everybody if you didn't speak so fancy."

So I proceeded to purposely degrade my speaking skills. Lo and behold if he hadn't been right.

Ever since then I've tried to adjust my speech to my environment.

However: I still won't employ abominations such as "me and him" or "I seen".

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:

The use of the word "busted" as a substitute for "broken" has spread to mainstream news outlets. That really irritates me.
When the Deepwater Horizon disaster occurred, I recall lots of news "headlines" used that phrase when describing the disaster.

For example: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/3988...und-busted-gulf-rig/

quote:
'Crime scene' security set up around busted Gulf rig

Roll Eyes

Imagine how much people will become if you use constructions that are more common in Commonwealth English than American English, among them: amongst, whilst, or use of "spelt" or "spilt". (Perhaps one could include "burnt" there, too.)

Posts: 500 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: December 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
NK402, there are actually 2 errors in "me and my friend" having done something--in compound subjects where one is First Person, that should be last. In this case "my friend and I".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I was glad to see I'm not the only person in the world that has a problem with people's poor grammar. It's especially annoying when I hear someone on tv or radio that doesn't know how to speak. If your damn job is to speak you really should know how to do it.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post