SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hickock45 - The Grammar Commando
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hickock45 - The Grammar Commando Login/Join 
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted
Hickock45, YouTube legend, gun enthusiast, English teacher......

Is there nothing he can't do? Smile

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5GMX0pPYFU

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAWjYkBFPR4

I freely admit that I barely remember all the grammar rules from 7th grade. Big Grin

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1903 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That guy is a hoot! Sure can shoot too....

Posts: 2551 | Location: Troy, MI | Registered: October 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Watching a Hickok45 video is like spending an hour with your grandpa.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
They don't teach this stuff in school anymore. Few people I know under age 35 understand the difference between a subject and object and other basic fundamentals of grammar. Many of these people have college degrees.

Most people I know over 65 had this stuff hammered into them by 6th grade. Who else here remembers sentence diagramming?

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
Who else here remembers sentence diagramming?

UGH! I absolutely despised doing that. It seemed we did it for YEARS. My kids are in 1st and Kindergarten. If they have to learn that, that will be my wife's job.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
They don't teach this stuff in school anymore. ........Who else here remembers sentence diagramming?

They did at my daughter’s school. She’s 23.

I definitely remember diagramming. I’m 52

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
He convinced me to buy a PPQ. Smile

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I definitely remember diagramming sentences in Freshman English in High School. (Also remember my Freshman English teacher, Mrs. Rolfe. She was hot...)

Little foggy on whether or not I ever did it after that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15224 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
“Even if you’re in Kentucky, what should that (word) be?” Smile Funny guy!

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Hahaha! "It might've been something from outer space."

Wish he'd hammered see/saw/seen harder.

I see it. I saw it. I have seen it.

NOT "I seen."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Irregular verbs are too hard for people who cannot differentiate between "then" and "than".

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
This is great. What a well-rounded dude. I've enjoyed his shooting videos for a while, and I would not have expected this. I am always looking to improve my grammar.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

NOT "I seen."

How about "I" vs "me"? I hear them mis-used all the time.

For example, my manager will often say "Get back to Steve or I with any questions" etc.

Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know of a good learning series like this for little children?

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:

NOT "I seen."

For example, my manager will often say "Get back to Steve or I with any questions" etc.

He covers that in Part 2.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
The British teachers I had in elementary school simply beat us harder for not learning the English King's language.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

NOT "I seen."

But EVERYONE says "It's me" (when the correct form would be "It's I"). "That's them" is also pretty common (should be "those are they").

flashguy
Resident Grammar NAZI

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
I can not stand watching this guy.
Not my flavor. But he certainly has a strong following.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
quote:

NOT "I seen."

But EVERYONE says "It's me" (when the correct form would be "It's I"). "That's them" is also pretty common (should be "those are they").

flashguy
Resident Grammar NAZI

Exactly. I also hear "me and her went to the store" etc. That is a bad one. I am guilty of saying "its me" even though I know it is wrong. "It is I" just sounds too much like a prissy Brit.

posted Hide Post
Two of the most misused words on shooting/gun forums are sight and site. I can't count the number of times I've read that someone has installed new sites on their pistol.

Now, neither of these words should be confused with cite or the user will be cited for not using their sights properly on this web site.

Another pair of frequently misused words are brake and break. How many muzzle "breaks" have you read about? Must be a lot of broken barrels.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post