SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Term I had never heard before
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Term I had never heard before Login/Join 
Picture of rtquig
posted
Two weeks ago I flew to Florida to bring back a car for my daughter gifted by her grandmother.
While there for 1 day, we were invited to a celebration for Canada's 150th anniversary. One of the speakers told the gathering that the new people who haven't been to the U.S. before now that when they hear people talking about their garbage disposal in the sink, they are talking about their garburator. I had to laugh, never heard of it called that. Only in Canada? Or do people in the U.S. use that term?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"Yeah, I make up words too." - Homer Simpson

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, I had a truly fantabulous girlfriend.
She indeed was fantastic and fabulous.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
google says garburator is indeed the canadian word for garbage disposal...

learn something new every day.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That's just the
Flomax talking
Picture of GaryBF
posted Hide Post
We have a brand called "Insinkerator", so garburator is not too far off.

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
They all talk funny in The Great White North.

Eh, hoser

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Canadians pronounce decal as "deck-al".

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a skookum choocher of a disposal!

My disposal just chooches, not skookum level tho...

Posts: 5136 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

You are making me feel uncromfortable. :|

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of family in the Toronto area. They indeed call it a garburator.

They also sell milk in bags and pronounce the letter z as a word, 'zed". As in "I really like that band, Zed Zed top".

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well isn't that just magnifigreat!

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
Canada is No. 1 at being north of the United States

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here, this explains it:

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
Ask them for a toque

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
It wonder what's more popular, the two barrel or four barrel garburator?

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Canada: the Eh Team.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
The best telltale sign for me if someone is Canadian is the word "again". They pronounce the ai portion of the word like a long A. It sounds more like "there's been a gain in the stock market today".

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5397 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Yep, my wife is Canadian and that’s what she calls it. Another one is serviette which is a napkin. I was told a napkin meant a feminine product.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Get some poutine, it will make you feel better!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post