SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HalfCocked Targets alternative?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HalfCocked Targets alternative? Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
I got to try out a coworker’s silhouette system from HalfCocked; I really liked how tight the system is. It packs up very nicely.

Long story short: I ordered on September 2018. I received nothing but lots of promises from the owner, and eventually their website vanished. I’m getting refunded by PayPal.

What are some other steel target systems that are similar? Here is a link that shows what I was trying to get: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wcUfuv0OfxU

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is my thread on my range rebuild. I have shot up a lot of steel plates. A fair bit of ar500 seems not to hold up as well if welded. The temper is lost. The companies listed in my thread have great stuff. Some more portable than others.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...090021354#5090021354

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
I’ve heard great things about GT Targets. We shot them at MOAC one year and several folks said they’d had great experiences working with them.

I’d already got targets from MGM Targets, so I can’t personally speak to GT Targets, but I can say all those same nice things about MGM Targets.

They also talked me out of buying a set of 22 plates for the plate rack when the kids were shooting 22. They said just adjust the set screws so the centerfire plates will fall to a 22 hit and you’ll be happier. They could have just taken the money and sold the 22 plates, but they were more interested in getting me the better solution.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
To clarify, this is not about finding decent silhouette (or other shape) targets. I'm looking for a similar stand/hanging SYSTEM that HalfCocked has. If you watch the video, you'll see that their stands break down into a nice, tidy package.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understood that. This is what i meant by some more portable than others.

https://www.ar-mortargets.com/

https://www.ar-mortargets.com/...-full-size-range-kit

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
In my experience if wooden supports are in the same plane as the front of a steel target the bullet splatter soon chews the wood to pieces. After having tried my own support designs, I found this system from JC Steel Targets. The rebar or other steel support rods are virtually indestructible in use (barring a direct hit), and the whole system breaks down into a package that’s more compact (and probably lighter) than a system using heavy lumber.

JC also has other hanger systems, such as using T-posts or 2x4 boards for support.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
The rebar and AR-MOR systems look like I could use those for rifle targets very nicely.

HalfCocked also sold a 2in or so wide rectangle that loosely hung on the exposed 2x4 below the silhouette. It does a good job of keeping the board from getting chewed up from the down splatter.

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
ShootSteel.com is where I have bought all my steel targets. Any system that uses 2x4's is going to have the 2x4's chewed up by bullet splatter and the splatter will stick in the wood making gloves mandatory when handling them. However, having targets held up by 2x4's makes them easy to break down and toss in the back of your vehicle.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Having targets held up by rebar and steel JC Targets brackets also makes them easy to set up, take down, and transport, but the steel lasts a lot longer. But even steel can get roughed up and may be coated with lead to the point that gloves are a still good idea. The only possible disadvantage steel supports have is that a single wild shot might sever a rod or damage a bracket; a 2×4 might survive. The solution to that problem is of course to have spares (or don’t let certain shooters use one’s targets).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
I may just use a 2x4 system and make an insert that would allow for use of a rebar post. That would add some nice versatility.

Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:The solution to that problem is of course to have spares (or don’t let certain shooters use one’s targets).

My other half won NRA competitions in high school, but at 73 now, she absolutely destroys 2x4's. Frown

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
I've been real happy with the ar500 swinging target stand and donut from this company:

www.targetsolutionsusa.com

Posts: 3698 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post