SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Tacoma is Worst Midsize Truck?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Tacoma is Worst Midsize Truck? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Prefacing this with I'm a Toyota guy through and through and my extended family should own stock with the number of Toyotas we own. Bought a '12 Tacoma new thinking I had to get back into a truck. Lasted 1 year and I traded it towards a '13 4Runner. Love, love, love my 4Runner. The Tacoma? Keep in mind this is based on my '12 Tacoma and '13 4Runner. But both are body on frame, the Tacoma rode like utter s&*t while the 4Runner rides great. MPG? Seriously, for a V6 it was bad. Not that my 4Runner is great, but the Tacoma was bad. As in ~14mpg city. I mean you can have a V8 with better MPG than that. Rear tail gate has no lock (I see they finally have one now, about d*&n time). That's close to a grand if it gets stolen which requires all of 15 seconds. Basic interior touches were severely lacking compared to the 4Runner and Tundra. As I said, it made it 1 year then got traded in towards a 4Runner which is almost paid off and will stay with me for many more years. Love Toyota, but they really and truly should improve some of their models.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: March 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
A mechanic friend of mine that tinkers on a lot of Toyota trucks doesn't like the newer ones at all. That paired with the fact that the new ones are ugly as hell and are far too big for what a Tacoma should be. I'll keep my 2001 forever.

I was seriously considering a Tacoma because my wife complains the Silverado is too big. I went to a somewhat local Carmax dealer and couldn't believe how "big" it felt. It felt damn near as big as my Silverado just not as wide. I didn't really like it. The hood scoop is a huge obstruction IMO. The gas mileage is terrible and if you want any options you are looking at 35k, non-negotiable. I think the new ones are overrated.

And yes, plenty of people have had mechanical issues with them. There was a guy on this forum who talked about his problems with a new Tacoma as a matter of fact. I don't think they are what they used to be. But the old ones were great so they are getting by on that reputation.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post