SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    2017 Tacoma is Worst Midsize Truck?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2017 Tacoma is Worst Midsize Truck? Login/Join 
posted
Consumer Reports compiled a lowest rated 2017 models top 10 list and the Taco was named as the worst midsize truck.

Consumer Reports Youtube

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2736 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I always thought consumer reports should just stick to toasters and vacuum cleaners, and leave other things to people who specialize in those products like automobiles, audio equipment, etc.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
the Taco is badly in need of an update.

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They're trying to maintain themselves as a serious, consumer advocacy magazine yet, they thought it was a good idea to put an ogre with a nose ring on the screen?

As for the Taco....low consumer satisfaction and reliability? We're talking about a Tacoma...the successor to the original SR5, the Hilux for overseas users, the truck Top Gear couldn't kill. I know things have changed with Toyota but, they're not exactly bottom of the barrel here.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Like a 'Yogi-ism'

They're so bad, you can't find one on a dealers lot.

We tried.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Bullshit.
Bull.fucking.shit.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
2017 Tacoma is Worst Midsize Truck?

Midsize?

Seems more like a compact size to me.

Posts: 13678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two faults I see with the Tacoma are the C frame and rear drum brakes. UGH!

Cannot believe in 2017 Toyota still uses drums on a 4x4. I had absolutely horrible experience off-roading in mud/water with drum brakes. Mud got in, scored the internal surfaces and eventually everything rusted and caused stuck drums, even after multiple disassemblies for cleaning.

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Didn't it just get an update?

Also, I get the feeling they don't like trucks that are really trucks. The Ridgeline was their best compact pickup. It's also the most carlike pickup you'll find (currently made.) I think that points to what they like.

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Didn't it just get an update?

quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:

Depends what you consider an update. I have the first run of the 3rd gen Taco, a 2016.

For what it's worth, I love it and would be hard pressed to be convinced that it comes in at the bottom of the pack. The video cited "poor reliability (HA!), stiff ride, clumsy handling, and 'can' be loud".

Serious horse shit right there. I haven't noticed any handling issues, and many Taco owners spend money to TRY to make their truck louder. Roll Eyes I would also not call it a "small" truck any more. The gen 1's, sure. Not these.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've looked at the Tacoma three times, and each time decided not to buy. I found them cramped, with poor internal design, just ok handling, and very expensive for what they are.

I like and respect Toyotas, and they have a pretty good off road reputation, but I think the Tacoma is living on its reputation at the moment, not on it's current quality, capability or innovation.

As was said above, it needs an update.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Life's too short to
live by the rules
posted Hide Post
I have a 2017. Definitely not at the bottom of the pack. CR is totally full of shit on this one. I've lost what little respect I had for them.

It has grown up to be a midsized truck now. it's surprisingly roomy inside.

Posts: 1696 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: August 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law has a '16 Taco TRD Sport ext cab & a coworker has a '16 Colorado LT Midnight Edition.

Having driven & been in both, I'd give a slight comfort edge to the Colorado.
Both trucks are nice, though.

As far as the 'stiff ride & loud' comments. It's a truck, not a Cadillac.
My F150 isn't loud, but does drive like a truck over rough pavement. But, it's smoother than my Civic was.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15286 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
They're trying to maintain themselves as a serious, consumer advocacy magazine yet, they thought it was a good idea to put an ogre with a nose ring on the screen?

As for the Taco....low consumer satisfaction and reliability? We're talking about a Tacoma...the successor to the original SR5, the Hilux for overseas users, the truck Top Gear couldn't kill. I know things have changed with Toyota but, they're not exactly bottom of the barrel here.

So she's not a trustable source of information because of her appearance? Interesting...

I think Consumer Reports mostly just compiles data and reports it. So if their data shows that people were unhappy with their Tacoma, or that they were spending a lot to repair them often, their report will show that.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
I really like my 2004 Tacoma, 3.4 V-6, auto, TRD 4x4 extracab. It was the last year they made a compact truck.

2005 and on the Tacoma became a mid-size.

I wish Toyota would bring back the compact truck.

As far as the current Tacomas, I've only sat in them at the dealer while getting my truck worked on.

I was not blown away. Nice truck and all, but I prefer the ergonomics on my older truck.

I have also read of problems with the auto trans shifting up and down excessively, hunting for the right gear. The 3.5 liter engine is happiest when coupled with the 6-speed manual, from what I have read on the taco forums.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
"With its below average customer satisfaction score..."
This made me laugh. Try and find a used Tacoma for anywhere near a reasonable price. Their owners are almost rabid about them and hold onto them for long periods of time.

I haven't read anything Consumer Reports has put out in years, but if this is the best they can do, then I'm glad I haven't wasted time with their 'reviews'.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
"With its below average customer satisfaction score..."
This made me laugh. Try and find a used Tacoma for anywhere near a reasonable price. Their owners are almost rabid about them and hold onto them for long periods of time.

I haven't read anything Consumer Reports has put out in years, but if this is the best they can do, then I'm glad I haven't wasted time with their 'reviews'.

could be people don't list them for "a reasonable price" because they paid too much for them when they were new and don't want to take the loss.

but this report is also taking specifically about the 2017 model.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

As was said above, it needs an update.

Agreed. I'm getting out of my 1st gen Taco and in to a 4Runner. I didn't see enough of a change from the 2nd Gen and feel like the current new models are really a 2.5Gen vs 3rd gen. I still think this article is bullshit.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
Could be people don't list them for "a reasonable price" because they paid too much for them when they were new and don't want to take the loss.
People pay closer to MSRP than with other vehicles, but its because of the demand for the truck. We shopped for three months looking for a pre-owned Tacoma for my elderly father. Eventually, it made more sense to just buy him a new one given we found few used ones to even look at, and the ones we did find were close to new pricing anyway. Shop for a Tacoma and read their forums, and you'll find that Consumer Reports review misses the mark by a mile.
quote:
but this report is also taking specifically about the 2017 model.
I have two co-workers would bought 2017's and they absolutely love them. Again, I think this is more a reviewer issue than a bad product issue.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Consumer Reports always docks points off a truck, just for being truck-like. If you want a car, buy a car.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post