SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Did you know Google reads your emails including attachments???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did you know Google reads your emails including attachments??? Login/Join 
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted
I know nothing's private on the internet.

I was just surprised to learn that Google reads your emails including attachments just on the fly.

Here's how I found out: My wife forwarded me a PDF itinerary of a trip we're planning. Just a couple of hours later, I get this notice. And the times are apparently adjusted for the different time zones.

While it's convenient for me, it was also an eye opener.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. It's why if you don't have ad block or similar and you mention something, you might start seeing ads for it.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Yes this has been pretty well known for years. I'm sure there have been posts about this in the past.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16391 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised this is new to you.

Gmail reads my emails, and predicts fast responses for me that I can fire off with the touch of a button. Things like "See you there!" and "That's fine with me" to emails where itineraries are being discussed.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
"reads" is not exactly the right word for it. More like, "Filters" for dates and triggers events to provide benefit to you. Or, even in the profit-oriented motive, it filters for cue words then references its ad bank for best fit ads. Still not too bad in my book for an amazing email application provided at no direct financial cost, with incredible built in malware and spam filters, a nearly limitless storage capability and a list of other benefits too long to list here.

I'm a fan. I wish Apple could deliver such a service, as I'd prefer to be in one web ecosphere.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
I like this feature and use Gmail exclusively.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
Yes this has been pretty well known for years. I'm sure there have been posts about this in the past.

Yeah, but...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Yeah, but...

Is that why monkeys have hairy palms?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
quote:

Yeah, but...

I seriously just choked on a cookie I was eating. Hahahaha, that's funny!

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:...
Is that why monkeys have hairy palms?

I don't know if mine are hairy, I can't see very well any more...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43867 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It has to read (parse - in programmer speak) the text to find the Dates/etc.

Who knows what all they're doing with it beyond grabbing the Dates, that's just one aspect we know about. They also grab brand names and such to help with targeted ads.

But they definitely read/scan/parse every bit of it, as it's the only way to do what they do.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
We complain when the government spies on us, but it's perfectly ok if Google does it. Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
We complain when the government spies on us, but it's perfectly ok if Google does it. Roll Eyes

Next google will be schedulilng your state mandated suicide and the people will just show up. OKAY, i couldn't resist.

One is not required to use google, though its becoming more and more a requirement as everything says "sign up with google."

You could run all your emails through ProtonMail which is a secure email out of Switzerland.

From a macro level you have to understand that everything will be driven by the big 3 technology giants: Google, Facebook, Amazon. They want to make it so easy to buy things you wouldnt do it any other way.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
This is why I do not use G-mail for my regular e-mail. I have a G-mail account only because you now have to have one for Facebook and You Tube.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's why it was a surprise to me.

I accepted the theoretical academic "the government can read your email" and "nothing is private on the internet."

But I figured no one's going to give a sh*t about my emails unless I use "trigger" words or if someone was targeting me. But I'm of no interest to anyone.

Color me surprised now.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG 229R:
This is why I do not use G-mail for my regular e-mail. I have a G-mail account only because you now have to have one for Facebook and You Tube.

If Gmail can do it, what makes you think other email services aren't doing the same thing except maybe showing you that they are doing it?

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I know nothing's private on the internet.

That is not strictly true. I know this is popular amongst people who don't understand How Things Work, and can't be sussed to learn, but, it's manifestly false.

quote:
I was just surprised to learn that Google reads your emails including attachments just on the fly.

That's been common knowledge since Gmail Day One.

Here's the thing with freemail (which is what Gmail is), and any other service on the Internet/WWW that you get for free: If you aren't paying for it: You're not the customer. You're the product.

Google's primary revenue stream is advertising. You aren't paying a penny to use the services they supply. Extrapolate.

quote:
If Gmail can do it, what makes you think other email services aren't doing the same thing except maybe showing you that they are doing it?

Read the TOS (Terms Of Service). It'll be disclosed. It's in Gmail's TOS. (Which, I'm guessing, you did not read.)

People hardly ever read the TOS or Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), then get SURPRISED! when they later find there was something in there that allowed <whomever> to do <such-and-such>.

E.g.: Against my better judgement, I bought a Samsung Blue-ray player. I'd read they had an onerous TOS, so I read it extra carefully. "Hmmm... This looks pretty boiler-plate," I said to myself. Then I went to activate the streaming services... and there it was. Nicely-buried, too. Essentially, by agreeing to their terms I would give them the right to collect all my usage data, including the viewing of DVDs, BDs, CDs, what-have-you, and share it with whomever they wanted, as many times as they wanted, for as long as they wanted.

It went back to the store. (I'll never have another Samsung "smart" anything in my home again.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Unless you truly go "offgrid" all of your information is out there many times over.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7070 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Then don't use Google or Gmail. You chose to use a companies products (more than likely for free) and then complain because you don't like their business practices or how their products operate?

We don't have a choice in Government (outside of elections) but we do have a choice in who we use for email and search functions.

Posts: 4986 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:

Then don't use Google or Gmail. You chose to use a companies products (more than likely for free) and then complain because you don't like their business practices or how their products operate?

We don't have a choice in Government (outside of elections) but we do have a choice in who we use for email and search functions.

Typical canned, predictable response. Roll Eyes

Yeah sure, as if people nowadays can choose not to be spied on by Amazon, Google, Apple, etc. Nonsense.

Unless you live in a cabin on a mountain like Ted Kaczynski, these companies are collecting your data whether you like it or not.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post