Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MSA Ear Pro Login/Join 
posted
In 2016, I upgraded (read: spent close to $300) on new Ear Pro: MSA Supreme PRO X. Up until recently, they've been great. Now, they have developed a static hiss in the right ear. I tried my own self diagnosis, including swapping two sets of new batteries to no avail. I called MSA and was advised I could send them in (out of warranty) for repair, at a cost of $150-200. I declined with the thought of just buying a new set vs. paying half of the price for the repair not knowing how long they'd last into the future after the repair. I imagine the electronics are toasted in one ear.

I've enjoyed the fit and quality of the MSA's over the last three years, as well as, the fairly compact footprint on my head for Pistol and Rifle shooting. I thought I ask if anyone else has moved from an MSA Earpro to something else? Thanks.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
New ones available from Amazon for about $250-270 depending on whether you get the gel pads.
That’s what I did when one of my old pair went bad. Nothing else does the job as well for me.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I use Peltor Comp III’s, I spent close to $280 on them...the same as what the Sordins cost, and have been quite happy with them. Been using them for about three years with no issues.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like the Gel Cups on the MSA. Not crazy about only getting 3 years out of them. I shoot weekly so it's not like I'm a power user or deployed with them and they get rough usage.

Here in the Seattle metro area, you're going to be shooting in the rain and drizzle a lot of the time. I'm hoping the weather had no impact on the longevity of them. This model is supposed to be weather resistant in that regard.

Posts: 1451 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
Here in the Seattle metro area, you're going to be shooting in the rain and drizzle a lot of the time. I'm hoping the weather had no impact on the longevity of them. This model is supposed to be weather resistant in that regard.

I've seen a number of sets of electronic ear pro get fried by the rain. We usually have a couple sets go down each time it rains during range days at the academy where I teach. However, those are typically entry level ~$50 Peltor/Howard Leight models.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
3-years of usage and it's giving you problems, damn. I've gone through two Sordin Pro's in 15-years, been in the heat, rain, bounced, sounds you may have gotten a lemon. I'm not an electronics pro, could you have gotten moisture inside the components contributing to the static noise? Packing them in a bag with wet kit? Those foggy, marine layer days in the PacNW can play havoc on electronics.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would look at the Peltor Tactical 300 and 500. The 300 can often be found around or below $100, which I think is a deal. Better than the Howard Leights and the like (which are still good in their own right) but not near as spendy as MSA or TCI or the high high end Peltors.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prince of Cats
Picture of matthew03
posted Hide Post
Their CS is fantastic, I had a set that were less than a year old, they just died in a class.

I called to ask to have them repaired and they sent me a new set immediately, did not want the old ones back.

---------------------------------------
www.AppalachianConcealment.com

Posts: 6555 | Location: S.W. Virginia | Registered: March 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Matthew03 - If you're speaking of the MSA CS, they pretty much said, sorry out of warranty but you can send them in and the charge would be $150-$200 for repair.

Perhaps if I was a year out, they would have coughed up a replacement but in my case I purchased them in 2016.

I've used them almost weekly since 2016 and perhaps as Corsair suggested, I may have ridden them hard and put them away wet.

Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have two sets of Peltor Tactical Pro SV's, one over 10 years and the other over 5 years, going strong with no static. I have replaced the ear pads with the gel pads on the older set.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a set repaired at https://srstactical.com/service

You still might want to get a new pair, then have the old ones repaired for a pair to loan to your friends.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
I had a set repaired at https://srstactical.com/service

You still might want to get a new pair, then have the old ones repaired for a pair to loan to your friends.

Same here. They did a very good job. I’d give them a call to see what they may be able to do.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll " third" the recommendation for SRS.
Their CS is a perfect example of what CS can and should be.

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
In 2016, I upgraded (read: spent close to $300) on new Ear Pro: MSA Supreme PRO X. Up until recently, they've been great. Now, they have developed a static hiss in the right ear. I tried my own self diagnosis, including swapping two sets of new batteries to no avail. I called MSA and was advised I could send them in (out of warranty) for repair, at a cost of $150-200. I declined with the thought of just buying a new set vs. paying half of the price for the repair not knowing how long they'd last into the future after the repair. I imagine the electronics are toasted in one ear.

I've enjoyed the fit and quality of the MSA's over the last three years, as well as, the fairly compact footprint on my head for Pistol and Rifle shooting. I thought I ask if anyone else has moved from an MSA Earpro to something else? Thanks.

In active noise reduction headsets, and amplified headsets, nearly always the problem that you describe is fixed by replacing the ear seals. Try that.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The only issue that I've had with SRS Tactical, after ordering my MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X unit, was that I ordered a few "extras" including a set of gel pads and a storage bag for the unit. Upon arrival I opened one of the plastic buckles on the storage bag (typical male-female connector) and one of the plastic male prongs promptly broke off. I contacted SRS and returned the bag with the broken buckle. SRS very easily and quickly shipped me a replacement bag...and upon arrival I unlatched the plastic buckle (opposite side) and the male connector prong quickly broke again, at which point I just decided it wasn't worth the aggravation of returning it again and decided to live with a storage bag with a broken buckle. I don't blame SRS as I'm sure they didn't make the bag themselves but unless they've changed vendors for the bag, or their vendor has changed to a different source for their plastic buckles, I'd suggest avoiding buying their earpro storage bags.

To date I've had no problems with the actual Supreme Pro-X unit and it has worked quite well for me (other than the fact that it feels like my big block head is in a vice when I put them on Wink ).

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An update: I took the advice SigSAC provided and called SRSTactical. They offered to take a look at them. My worst case would be they were totaled and a minimum charge of $25 would be assessed. I sent them off. Today, they arrived back fully repaired for a cost of $70 including shipping. About a 2.5 week turnaround.

Reason for the non stop static in one ear was the entire battery compartment needed to be replaced. A short I suppose.

I’m very pleased with SRSTactical and their service. Highly recommend them for service and they sell quite a variety of tactical supplies including ear pro etc.

posted Hide Post
I'm glad you were able to get them repaired.

Posts: 2772 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Good to know and thanks for posting an update!

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Veteran of the
Psychic Wars
posted Hide Post
Regarding Sordin/MSA electronic ear pro:

When you have been doing a good work-out on the range (working up a little bit of a sweat), make sure that you air-out your ear pro after use. The moisture will eventually cause corrosion issues with the electronics. That is usually the main cause of electronic ear pro failure.

Posts: 1296 | Location: The end of the Earth... | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Watch for SRT to start offering tube socks for your ears.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post