SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Iowa says yes to fire works sales
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Iowa says yes to fire works sales Login/Join 
posted
http://www.press-citizen.com/s...egin-boom/436640001/

I gotta wonder what the people in the E.r.'s are saying about this.

Already 7 news stories about people blowing parts of themselves off.

but it does generate a bunch of money

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Should make for some good Fails YouTube videos.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to hear. Great source of revenue as well. The Walmart crowd really buys a lot of them. You would be duly impressed. Cant put it on your EBT card though. Fireworks have been legal in Mississippi as long as I can remember. There are some restrictions though, like with cherry bombs and M 80s.

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Our city has restricted sales. We're close to a couple of reservations and the stuff they sell is insane.
The biggest objection to the restrictions came from sports and school groups. Seems fireworks are money makers that don't require a lot of time and equipment.
So far, things have been quiet. The dogs and I are still sleeping in the cellar on the fourth.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
Des Moines news has been droning on about this forever. Des Moines city council deliberated for numerous multi-hour sessions and finally came up with allowing a couple hours of bang bang that could be purchased in the crappiest parts of town. Several suburbs, including the one I live in, stayed with the ban. I saw the massive box in the neighbor's garage and have been hearing near-professional grade stuff go off for a week. No difference from prior years when everyone went to the Missouri border to buy them with cheap cigarettes. I'm not one to call the cops on fireworks, but I can't wait for July 5th.

Several years ago some fine youths managed to set my parents' house on fire with fireworks in Missouri. My mom slept through the smoke detectors and only woke up to the fire department banging on her door. I have no use for fireworks.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A nurse friend of mine (a real friend, not a facebook friend; I've known her for 40+ years) shared the following on FaceBlob: "Someone in the United States has no clue that this is their last weekend with all ten fingers."

I'm certain that this is true, and I can only hope that fingers are the worst of it.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2064 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our city still prohibits using any fireworks, but calls are tripled over previous years. They stack up and eventually an officer will have time to drive by, but by then it's usually done. The officers who have been catching people discharging them are not charging people, which is pretty much how 90% of encounters were handled in the past.

The public is choosing to ignore the fact that they still cannot set them off after 10 PM (11 PM on July 4 and the weekends before and after) or from property they don't have permission to set them off on (like streets, parks, alleys, etc), and that the types of fireworks allowed are actually somewhat narrow. The sketchy ass tents are having problems with thefts overnight, also. I have never had any interest in using any kind of consumer fireworks because ultimately I value the continued use of my eyes, was, hands, fingers, etc.

Posts: 5159 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
you folks should enjoy that.
They did it here last year,and the idgets went wild.
I think it is safer that the old way with the shooting guns into the air.
When it starts I make damn sure I am in the middle of the house,last new years I picked up a bullet in my patio umbrella that broke one of the ribs.
Gun fire is quite common in my hood.

Posts: 22409 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I lived there we used to scoot down to Missouri for the stuff.
Had to have M-80's and Black Cats to blow up stuff.
Kids need something to do.
Good for Iowa. Cool

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Having grown up in an area where they were legal year round and readily available, including all of the good stuff, the severe restrictions some locales have on them often seems as needlessly restrictive and arbitrary as gun free zones and the like.

Bottle Rocket Wars and Roman Candle Wars with friends, Black Cats out the wazoo, blowing up action figures with M80s, etc, THAT was a part of growing up normally. Kids nowadays are getting screwed.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought farmers used explosives to blow up stumps all the time. Guess it would be dangerous for the city folk though. Video of happy farmers here;

Posts: 17221 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as a pre teen we would go camping at the local reservoir.
Dad's dad made a "cannon" that consisted of a 12 inch piece of axel with an inch and quarter hole in it lengthwise
and a fuse hole on the side , near the bottom.

three booze bottle cap fulls of black powder , some wadding and a piece of kindling tamped in the end and it was 15 times louder than anything else in the camp ground.

the last time we were setting it off, the county sheriff came by to confirm that it was not dynamite.

he watched it go boom once, and then said that
he came by because the people on the other side of the lake had babies that were scared .

that was over a 1/2 mile away across the lake.

I don't think that I have fired a fire work in 35 years.

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The Walmart crowd really buys a lot of them.

Mind boggling ain't it? The poorest among us (usually on public assistance) waste, by far, the most money on fireworks.

Kind of like the last time I ever went to a WalMart. I witnessed a mom, dad, and two (barefooted) children, none of whom appeared to have bathed at any time in the past month, loading a brand new 52" flat screen TV into a beat up station wagon with two donut tires. All I could do was shake my head.

Posts: 20066 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
The Walmart crowd really buys a lot of them.

Mind boggling ain't it? The poorest among us (usually on public assistance) waste, by far, the most money on fireworks.

Yes, and they started setting them off two nights ago Mad

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Fireworks and alcohol are just a Darwinism accelerant.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Many years ago when Cherry Bombs, Ash Cans and M-80 (my favorite) fireworks were legally available, the advice to us from those in the know was......light it and immediately throw it, far away. And don't go near it until after it goes BOOM.

This is how we kept our fingers intact.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was not there , but my brother and our cousin went out in a 12 foot aluminum boat with the M80's and cherry bombs , back in the late 60's

they tied a few to some stone weights and then lit them and dropped them in the lake.

well the boat got towed back later in the day with a 12 inch hole in the bottom ,

they figure that the fire cracker came loose and floated to the surface .

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Fireworks and alcohol are just a Darwinism accelerant.

Maybe.

But they're also as America and as free as hotdogs and apple pie.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those silly folks in Michigan and their pest control solutions. Farmers in Iowa would never do such a thing. Story here:

http://www.nola.com/traffic/in...ml#incart_river_home

posted Hide Post
Be sure and watch the helpful video about why you should not launch fireworks off your head like they did last year here in Louisiana.