SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Builders: A moment? Goliath Tech screw-in pilings
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Builders: A moment? Goliath Tech screw-in pilings Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Goliath Tech

Helical screw-in piles in place of sonotubes or frost walls for small structures.

Anybody actually used/seen these things?

Daughter's new house will be set on the foundation tomorrow, she wants to sub the front and side decks to me as the main contractor wants a small fortune to do it as an add-on.

Foundation guy recommends these as being faster/cheaper traditional methods.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
While they may work, what is the long term life versus concrete?

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
While they may work, what is the long term life versus concrete?

An excellent question, and one that will need to be answered authoritatively before investing in the process.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
The next door neighbor added on to the house and used 4 by 4's buried in the ground. When I saw them working, I assumed they were adding a deck.

Nope...a two story addition to the house. What will happen when the post rot out or termites get involved? Eek

I think the State code says they have to be set on a concrete base above ground.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
While I'm not familiar with that particular brand we have used helicoils to fix problems generated by other builders who didn't do things right from the get go.
Our sub issues a 25 year written warrantee and we've never had an issue.
Having said that why don't you just pour concrete?

What is the frost depth up there in Maine and how many piers do you have to do? It might be cheaper to rent a bobcat with an auger and dig all the holes in a couple of hours...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
I saw this device used on a Mike Holmes show, either Holmes on Homes or Holmes Inspections, I think it was the latter. He used it to hold up a deck wrapped around the side and back of a house on a hill. Very interesting setup. If I had the need and the funds I would do this for any project that would call for it.

They showed how it is screwed into the ground by a hydraulic pump drill. Keeps turning it until it reaches a certain PSI. So it will go as deep as needed to be secure, at least that is what I got of it. Used in vertical positions and also used it in angled positions. The angled use was for securing retainer walls, built with wood, for landscaping on a steep pool side. The retainer wall was anchored to the post on the inside then back filled for the garden/plant/flower area. You would never know its there unless told.

There are a few different makers. At the time of the show I did some google fu and found a few companies. iirc warranties where in the 20+ yr range, but don't quote me on that.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
Well I have poured many a footing for decks and have always disliked Sonotubes. I have seen many installed incorrectly and I have seen correctly installed lift. Plus they look like crap out of the hole.
Simply dig a hole to the frostline, with the bottom at20" and the top at 16". While wet stick a sash block in it, fill the middle with concrete put an anchor bolt in the middle.
Never had a failure.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3858 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I used precast concrete footings for my deck. I got them 5 feet tall, pre tapped for the post anchor screws. They were about $100 each. You could rent a dingo with an auger attachment to dig the holes and then set them in place with the loader on your tractor. They will last forever, are superior to sonotubes, much easier to deal with and aren't terribly expensive. They are what I will use in the future any time I need a frost proof footing for a post. Just something to consider as an alternative.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The company I work for has used helical piers several times, they do the job. Where they were used in each case, was where there was a very high water table, and not thrilling soil conditions. The helical piers offer a lot of surface area, and can be installed where it is challenging to dig.

They would certainly support a deck.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the input.

As to doing concrete footings myself there are a few issues I wish to avoid, most of which have been mentioned here.

I have had variable success with sonotubes both with heaving and with accurate placement.

With a frost wall, there is the problem of digging the trench and forming it up. I'd have to hire that done or rent the appropriate equipment and then build rugged enough forms and position them accurately. Not entirely sure I'm up to that, especially at my age.

If we hire the crew to come in and put the anchors in, the main contractor said it's $265 per anchor which is comparable with the expense of a frost wall and they have the equipment and expertise to place them accurately which is key to a square and level deck obviously.

Plus, it's quick and no significant landscaping to do after.

I'll let you know what we decide to do, and take pix of the process.

Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Looked at the site today and yakked with the GC.

Where the piers are going is all fill, so the screw-in pilings will work fine. WAY less hassle than a frost wall or sonotubes.

They just set the house on the foundation this morning. By the time the assembly and trim crew get done and they finish backfilling and landscaping around the foundation it'll probably be a few weeks before we get started.

Also have to get the septic installed, well drilled and power run in to the site so it's not like there's any rush.

Edit to add:

I bought the materials and the GC will install the ledger boards on the house as part of trim out so they're installed and flashed correctly and the siding worked around them. One less thing I have to screw with. He spec'd adhesive copper foil for the flashing. 8" by 20 foot roll...$75.00!!!