SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How did you lean / teach to ride a bike
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How did you lean / teach to ride a bike Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I taught myself, on the flat front lawn.

(I also taught myself how to swim, odd child) Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: cas,

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of skonie
posted Hide Post
I don't remember how I learned to ride, but I helped my kids learn. The biggest obstacle wasn't balance or coordination, but rather wanting to look at the front wheel. Once they learned to ignore that and to look ahead instead of down, it was a piece of cake.

Posts: 1513 | Location: NV | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oregon:
Balance bikes. My youngest rode one for five days and then took off on a pedal bike on his own.

Balance bikes are awesome.

We tried these when he was younger, it went nowhere fast. He's a big kid but wasn't mature/coordinated/motivated enough to make it work then and when we started seriously trying last year he was way too big for them.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skonie:
I don't remember how I learned to ride, but I helped my kids learn. The biggest obstacle wasn't balance or coordination, but rather wanting to look at the front wheel. Once they learned to ignore that and to look ahead instead of down, it was a piece of cake.

Yes, this is a problem. I was having him stare and aim at a tree on the other end of the parking lot that had a slight slope to it.

Posts: 2516 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I couldn't learn on level ground. I don't know how I got there but I found myself on top of an incline. started to bike then gravity took over. I couldn't do anything but hold on. That's how I learned.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Neighbors took their training wheels off and were riding, thus mine came off and I learned that day on pavement. Amazing what peer motivation will do.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My son we took to the hs football field. It is artificial turf so it was easy to ride on. He could follow the lines and as he got better I could call out yardage.

My daughter I took off the training wheels and to about 10 steps with her and she was off.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
running behind.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Solo, gravel road, hard rubber tires.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
(As mentioned above)

If a kid looks down at their feet or watches the front wheel they will crash. They have to keep their eyes forward. Eyes on horizon + your inner ear sense of balance keeps you up. We went to a park. Kids rode on hard packed jogging path. Dirt or grass is softer than asphalt.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
It took me much longer than most kids to learn how to ride a bike. My father made a few half-hearted attempts to work with me while riding, but I never made any progress that way. One day in my early teens we were visiting friends and there was a large, nonmotorized two-wheeled scooter. I started playing around with that, and I suddenly learned that turning the front wheel was the secret to staying upright—something that had never been explained to me. When we got home that evening I got on the bike that had been lying around unused and away I rode. It literally took me about 15 minutes on the scooter to learn how bicycles worked.

If I had the job of teaching a child today, I’d definitely try a balance bike as described above, and I’d demonstrate how staying upright when riding it worked. A scooter might work as well as it did for me, but a balance bike would probably be better for young children for several reasons.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
I was 4 or 5, and had a bike with training wheels. One day one fell off and didn't know it. When I finally noticed it, I realized I could ride without them, so I got my dad to take them both off and rode ever since. We became daredevels on bikes growing up, mostly building jumps and riding off road and jumping dirt jumps.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
I fought this battle for 4 months with my kids, they just couldn't get the courage to pull up the feet and pedal. I fixed it in a day using my driveway which has a small but usable decline. Down the driveway, they only needed one pedal push to get enough speed to get the other foot in action. Worked like a charm. The hold the seat and run doesn't work very well because you are constantly knocking them off balance, find a small paved decline and use that.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

If you'll forgive a little pedantry, bicycles and motorcycles don't steer by leaning alone. They need a steering input first, by turning the handlebars the opposite direction of the desired turn, and the leaning is the result of that.

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Must have been over 60 years ago. I had an old clunky bike that had belonged to an uncle. I used training wheels for a while and I think I can remember the day my dad took them off.

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I started ours with one of these http://www.bootscootbikes.com

Works on balance before adding in peddling. Worked great

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
Works on balance ....

Balance is the hard part.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I got the run along behind lessons. In the end the neighborhood kids taught me.

I ran with my girls, comedy gold I've been told. At least my kids had the full rollerblade pad and helmet set up. I forgot about the skinned knees and hands.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5151 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I learned the hard way just like swimming. Dad pushed me down a grass hill. I did real well until I hit the rosebush at the bottom. Ouch. As to swimming my dear little brother taught me when he pushed me into the deep end of the pool at 4 years of age. It was sink or swim at that point and I did make it to the other side. I still owe him for that one.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We tried training wheels with our girls but had limited success. We started both out originally on a balance bike so I think trying the training wheels after that actually made it worse. In the end we went to a parking lot and got them going by pushing them gently behind the seat. I think we used the training wheels twice and they were fed up.

Once they get the balance and realize they have to pedal to stay upright it's a lot easier. Both girls had it mastered by 4.5 yrs old.

Posts: 5691 | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post