SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cuomo calls on Trump for emergency assistance
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cuomo calls on Trump for emergency assistance Login/Join 
Picture of olfuzzy
posted
Gov. Cuomo called on President Trump Sunday to provide emergency funding to remedy the “intolerable” situation at Penn Station that will soon create “a summer of agony.”

The plea came after executives from Amtrak, which has operational control over the Midtown rail hub, announced earlier this month they would shut down train tracks for about six weeks in July and August to repair long-neglected infrastructure.

That means the 600,000 passengers who pass through the station each day will face a nightmarish 20% reduction in service during peak hours, Cuomo said.

“Amtrak's need to cut service this summer has created both a short-term crisis and dramatically exposed the system's chronic problems,” Cuomo wrote in a letter to Trump.

“While this is not a hurricane or flood it will affect as many people and businesses with dire consequences. Like a natural disaster, we didn’t create it but our public offices require we address it. As in most emergencies, this is not a political issue and bipartisan officials will agree that we need immediate help. ..This situation affects the entire northeast region.”

It’s not just Long Island Rail Road, Amtrak and New Jersey Transit commuters who face a nightmare scenario. The delays at Penn Station will also affect the already-overwhelmed subway system, regional transit and more, Cuomo said.

The governor, according to an aide, wrote to Trump because the President is finalizing a budget plan and has previously said spending on infrastructure is a priority. Cuomo “went to the top” because of the immediacy of the summer work, the aide said.

Cuomo asked Trump to lend his support to forcing Amtrak — a quasi-federal entity — to turn over control of Penn Station to a private terminal operator.

He also requested federal funding for the state’s ongoing construction of a new entrance to Penn Station from the Farley Post Office. Money is needed for a “long term resolution for Penn Station,” as well as investment in alternative modes of transportation, Cuomo said.

He urged Trump to expedite federal funding for the Gateway Tunnel, which will replace the aging tubes between New York and New Jersey damaged during Hurricane Sandy.

The scale of the Penn Station problem required all levels of government be involved, Cuomo wrote. Local governments in the city and surrounding counties needed to be ready to contribute to the effort, Cuomo said, adding he will call on the MTA to accelerate its capital plan to improve mass transit.

Trump’s campaign pledge to pump $1 trillion into U.S. infrastructure to create jobs made the funding surge a no-brainer, Cuomo said, appealing to the President’s roots in New York.

“As a New Yorker, I think you know the severity of the situation and you know that if the state has the financial and operating support, we will get the job done,” Cuomo wrote.

State Sen. Todd Kaminsky, who represents parts of Nassau County, agreed.

“I talk with commuters every day, many of whom have taken the LIRR for decades, and they have never experienced this level of dysfunction,” Kaminsky said. “As Penn Station is a major rail-hub and a critical part of the Northeast U.S. economy, it certainly behooves the federal government to get involved immediately and provide necessary funding.”

Amtrak did not respond to requests for comment.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new...on-article-1.3183796

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
Simply put: Fuck Cuomo, and the horse he rode in on.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like fuckers at work. Oh wah, maintenance is going to hinder you, cry me a river, see what happens without it.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
First, Moonbeam, now Cuomo.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Actually, I don't have a problem with this request. Trump did say he wanted to invest in infrastructure and this certainly falls under that heading. The need for close scrutiny with the project will be needed to keep the overruns in check of course.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Amtrack is a failed boondoggle that the government has no business being involved in. Therefore, Cuomo may not like the answer he receives on funding...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, pour lots of tax dollars into a sanctuary city.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Andrew Chomo... Didn't he cut short a corruption investigation when it was leading right up to him?
Dear Andy ,
GFY.
Sincerely,
President Trump

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
They must have hired the same firm that maintains dams in California.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
So use the money he wants for his free college.

Where is all the money from the high taxes on gas, cigarettes, soda, salt, property, etc.?

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The same sub human organism that destroyed what little second amendment rights we had in New York ( hence my move to free America with my tax dollars ) wants more money to support the urban sheep that keep him in office have him and his followers pound sand

Posts: 3271 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
As we in NY say.... FUAC

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Just like his father - a sfaccime (as the late Bob Grant called him).

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I would say that there is more than enough revenue from within the state of NY to take care of this issue, they just might have to cut back on a little of the corruption is all.

And, isn't NYC a "sanctuary city"? If I were Trump I'd Cuomo to pound sand until that is reversed.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Guess what asshole... we all suffer from slowdowns in transportation and we all manage to carry the fuck on. Once spring hit here every god damn fucking road is tore up and I'll bet it creates a 40% or more slowdown so take your 20% and stick your stubby Dick in it. . If you are lucky enough to be able to use one of our highways in the Twin Cities, it's down from three or four lanes in a single direction to one or two lanes. Even the piece of shit Governor Dayton knows it doesn't help to cry to the Trumpster.

Whew. I feel better now.

Oh yeah - FUAC

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12930 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
the 600,000 passengers who pass through the station each day will face a nightmarish 20% reduction in service during peak hours

OMG! That will inconvenience:

100,000 illegals,
499,995 Hillary voters, and
000,005 others

We must send the appropriate resources, stat! Surely, someone somewhere has some folding chairs and popcorn.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Make a deal, loosen up gun laws, allow easy transport through NY, and shall issue, drop sanctuary city, jail clintons, recall Schumer

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Ie, the bulk of our money goes to welfare (to buy votes), to public education (to indoctrinate and brainwash the masses), to crony capitalists and fat-cat bureaucrats (we have to take care of ourselves first); so now we don't have the money to actually serve the needs of the people, and we expect hated conservatives to start writing bigger checks. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Make a deal, loosen up gun laws, allow easy transport through NY, and shall issue, drop sanctuary city, jail clintons, recall Schumer

You forgot "cut taxes".

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Hai Andy.

Amtrak? You need it. You fund it.

It's already northeast thing funded by the rest of us. I don't ride it. I don't want to pay for it. Tenth Amendment and shit since you fuckers want to secede anyhow but are too fuckin' chicken until Commiefornia gets something on their ballot.

As for local funding sources, it might cost your girlfriend Sandra a couple bottles of vodka and Kwanzaa cakes. It's not a small price to pay because a human body isn't supposed to take more than 4 of each per day.

Up yours and FUAC,
MitchbSC

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post