SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Waves - why do they go so far?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Waves - why do they go so far? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
More useless info. When a boat wake hits a natural shoreline, the natural shoreline absorbs the wake. When it hits a seawall, the wave ricochets back almost at the same size.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The wave is moving, not the water, as Doc H said.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sunset_Va:
To the OP.
Some interesting reading here ;
http://www.seafriends.org.nz/oceano/waves.htm

I offer you no levity, there was once a wave that embraced me at Nags Head from the Canary Islands!

Pretty good summary - covers basics of a semester long class I took a long time ago ("waves and tides").

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not? That's why we're sampling miniscule waves of energy from stars way far away.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13397 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Wakes left by large cargo ships can last many hours, and extend extreme distance, I recall a pic that showed wakes that were several hours old.

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by braillediver:
Why not? That's why we're sampling miniscule waves of energy from stars way far away.

But those are EM waves, not physical waves.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
Wakes left by large cargo ships can last many hours, and extend extreme distance, I recall a pic that showed wakes that were several hours old.

Had to enter the disturbed water from the wake of an upstream barge on the Missouri river at night in a canoe last month. The water was disturbed radically all the way across the river for some time behind the barge. Tossed about by maybe 3 foot swells for hundreds of yards behind it.

Posts: 7451 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will never forget one wave , in particular,
It was my 4th time out on the ocean , out of San Pedro.

On a 26 foot cabo cuddy cruiser.

there were two other that wanted to start rigging their rods.

We were going 24 miles out to some oil rigs.

Mark told me to take the wheel and keep it on the mark of the compass.

I scanned left and right for other boats, and then on the horizon there was a speck, going from right to left.

12 minutes later it was closer and in front of us.

14 minutes later it was at our 10:00.

It was shortly after that I saw a huge dip in the water surface and a huge wave behind it.

I told the fellas to grab something to hold on to and cut the power by half.

It was the king of all oil tankers , that had passed, W O M P ! went the tiny craft as it landed flat bottom on the ocean surface .

Just then I realized that we were 14 miles from the beach with nothing but life jackets .

we each landed three yellow tail that day and
it was worth the 4 1/2 hours of being sea sick

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54604 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post