SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alternate parenting solutions for dealing with electronics-obsessed children
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alternate parenting solutions for dealing with electronics-obsessed children Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
8 rounds of premium .45 ACP ammo at the 10 minute mark. Junior gets billed for the cartridges.

Enjoy

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I always get mixed emotions when I see these videos. As a parent of two 14 year old boys, I can certainly understand the frustration those parents have.

But...I also believe that those kids didn't just decide to grow up and be disrespectful little pricks. Upbringing at a very early age has a LOT to do with what type of teenagers a child becomes. I am a perfect example, I didn't really hear "no" until I was about 12. Too late...by then I thought I could pretty much do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

My kids learned "no" and time limits from a very young age, and now at 14 I could not be prouder of them. Sure, they can be hormonal snots from time to time, but overall I am confident we have passed the dangerzone of them becoming one of "those" kids.

Shooting their possessions is great for a YouTube video, but I personally believe it is shitty parenting.

To add - that is not meant as a personal attack on members here who feel they did all the right things and still have pain-in-the-ass kids, or have taken to shooting/blowing up their kids possessions. It is just the opinion of one parent, and what worked for my kids.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12329 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
My dad never destroyed my stuff, he just kicked my ass when it was needed. It worked (mostly, I'm stubborn and stupid).

Posts: 13742 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It's a tricky business. The extremes are easy to reject, but getting it just enough but not too much is tricky, and not the same from kid to kid.

Being a good example, habitually exercising sound judgment, active involvement in education and "civilizing" helps, but your kids likely will not be clones of you in values, temperament, physical abilities, etc.

One of the surprizes for me was when I realized my sons were not growing up in the Mayberry rural/small town envionment I grew up in, would not have the same experiences I favored, would face somewhat different challenges.

Now they are middle aged, married, homeowners and seem to be reasonably responsible husbands, fathers and neighbors. Not exactly like I would have designed them, but close enough!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RB211
posted Hide Post
I have ZERO doubts my mom wouldn't have done the same. My sister and I were allowed to play with the Atari for 1 hour daily after homework was done. Any bickering from us (with each other or the time frame) met with losing it for a week. Anything past that met with a treatment from the wooden spoon. To this day I respect how she handled games like that. She did not want us attached at the hip to them, and wanted us to get outside and ride bikes, play sports, and explore.

Posts: 2039 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I always get mixed emotions when I see these videos. As a parent of two 14 year old boys, I can certainly understand the frustration those parents have.

But...I also believe that those kids didn't just decide to grow up and be disrespectful little pricks. Upbringing at a very early age has a LOT to do with what type of teenagers a child becomes. I am a perfect example, I didn't really hear "no" until I was about 12. Too late...by then I thought I could pretty much do whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted.

My kids learned "no" and time limits from a very young age, and now at 14 I could not be prouder of them. Sure, they can be hormonal snots from time to time, but overall I am confident we have passed the dangerzone of them becoming one of "those" kids.

Shooting their possessions is great for a YouTube video, but I personally believe it is shitty parenting.

To add - that is not meant as a personal attack on members here who feel they did all the right things and still have pain-in-the-ass kids, or have taken to shooting/blowing up their kids possessions. It is just the opinion of one parent, and what worked for my kids.

I agree. Destroying the toy is crappy parenting. And the crappy kids who inspire more crappy parenting choices are most likely the result of crappy parenting. See how that all goes hand in hand?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
My daughter knew not to act like that at 4. Jesus. Shaking my head.

Where are my games guy......I mean....I got nothing.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
When it gets to this point the parents failed a long time ago......

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

No doubt. They (the parents) were the enablers. Now, they are wondering what happened to their kids. I see this first-hand. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That Audi clip is the very definition of high dudgeon.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
I was a strict dad, but that guy just lost it and gave his kids a pattern of behavior to replicate. Raising my voice was an indication the I was no longer in control and being in control was my job. That dad's methodology is probably that gun violence is bad so lets smash the guns. They are electronic toys and to be used as such. I loved my BB gun, but it was a toy and not my life. My Mom was a parent and allowed my to use it when I was finished with my school work and chores. I have a feeling that smashed electronics are the least of those kids problems.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adobesig:
...I have a feeling that smashed electronics are the least of those kids problems.

Absolutely! I can't believe the language those children used at their parents, and the tantrums they threw.

No doubt the parents let things go out of hand for many years, resulting in this behavior, but starting with the smash-ups is better than continuing to let the little bastards get away with it. Best, of course, would be to follow up with a good smack to the face for their insolence.

Some years back we stopped at a fireworks stand just before Independence Day. A couple stopped and let their young children out of their Volvo, the kids proceeding to run around, yelling and pushing strangers. I looked over at a uniformed police officer standing near, he smiled and said "Job security!"

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes, my son like all kids his age likes his Nintendo and electronics, but he has time limits and he can earn more time through doing good things or lose time depending on attitude. And like all kids his age he can be a little ass sometimes, but if he ever acted like these kids I would come down like a train load of anvils. As has been said, the kids don't just get this way overnight, you as a parent have to let this behavior become common

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Absolutely.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5282 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Hint - electronics aren't the problem.

Parenting (or lack thereof) IS the problem.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Growing up I heard 'no' more than 'yes' but this is 1968

I remember getting way out of line once by backtalking to my mother during breakfast - my dad heard it and he beat the snot out of me

my face was black and blue, my eye was swollen shut and both lips looked like I had gone 10 rounds

went out to the bus and waited to go to school - had to explain several times what happened - it was a very uncomfortable week

I am very intolerant of kids that misbehave

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Yep, as others have said, shitty parenting.

My boys are 5 & 6 and they don't even know what an X Box, Wii or a tablet computer are. They do however know what bikes and toy cars/trucks, etc... are. We have a small seasonal creek that runs for 4 months of the year. They float things down it and come in soaking wet...They don't get yelled at for getting their clothes dirty.

It's a special treat when they are allowed to watch a music video on my phone.

Taking the 6 year old on a 3 miles (each way) 3 day llama pack trip/fishing trip in 3 weeks...god help me. Cool

An Audi A4 is a pretty small car, but I had no idea a skid steer could toss one around like that.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
Dang, who knew santa had a repo service.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I started watching this one, thinking it is real. It's well done, but it's gotta be a fake. Big Grin

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
hammers seemed to be the favorite tool.

Kids don't go out and play anymore.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3477 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post