SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPod classic battery replacement
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPod classic battery replacement Login/Join 
I Am The Walrus
posted
Anyone here used a service to replace the battery? Which service did you use? How was your experience?

I have an 8+ year old iPod classic. Been around the world a few times with me and has survived a lot. All my music is on there and I don't want to get an iPod touch when all that's needed is the battery. Plus the computer that held all my iTunes music no long works.

I contacted Apple about replacing the battery and they said they do not perform the work because of the age of the device, I would have to use an authorized repair center. One such place is Best Buy, I'm not a fan of them but I still looked up some details on their website. Best Buy does not work on the iPod classic, either because of the age of the device.

Anyone have any suggestions besides doing it myself? I watched a YouTube video on it and it doesn't look like something I particularly care to tackle myself. Just seems like it's best left to a professional.

Posts: 13108 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
OWC macsales.com used to sell the batteries and offer the service of doing the work of replacing it but I don't see it on their site. I may be missing it though.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
iFixit.com has the guide on how-to along with the tools. Battery from macsales.com plus the step-by-step guide and you're golden.

It's not difficult; I've replaced batteries in the 3 models preceding the Classic.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Killer
posted Hide Post
I did it once with a package from www.milliamp.com

It appears they no longer offer it...

Posts: 321 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: December 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I bought a kit on ebay with tools. It was inexpensive and easy to do.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Batteries Plus has always done a good job for me on similar projects. I never had it done for in iPod but I'm sure that they can handle it. If there's no location near where you live, there is one on SR 436 in Altamonte Springs. My iPad needs a battery replacement so I'm planning to take it to that location for the service.

EDIT: I just checked their website. Looks like ninety nine bucks for an iPad battery, installed. I did not see your iPod classic listed; give them a call or use the "Contact Us" form on their website.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I changed my iPod Classic battery last year. It's likely you have the skill set to change it if you can disassemble/reassemble a firearm.

The key is to be gentle when inserting the spudge tool and separating the cases. There is one area as you go around that has a spot you have to be careful (connector).

Once you do one of these case opening projects you have a feel for the pressure required. Lots of videos online to help you.

Costs less than $20 bucks to buy the battery.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
I've replaced the battery in my iPod Classic, too. Go slow and easy, it can be done. Or check with these guys (repair or parts).

https://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/iPod.html

And the required YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b76oIe0hAQA

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I bought the online battery / instructions / tool kit. Very inexpensive. Worse case scenario, the factory water resistance will be lost. I put a few marks on the case bottom, I think, while prying it apart during disassembly. The part that comes off. NBD.

The tool was worthless but the battery worked. It is an '04 or so Classic. Doing permanent duty on a dock these days.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I sent mine to IpodBatteryDepot.com, have not gotten it back yet. I Did get an e-mail that the battery was replaced but that the Ipod was still not working, it was a generic e-mail. That's disappointing but if I'd tried it myself I'd be more frustrated that I broke it!

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
Sent co-worker's square iPod NANO to iresq.com for a battery replacement and some frozen/stuck buttons. Of course the costs were there considering how the NANO was already old and inexpensive, but they did a really good job. The NANO has to be unglued to get inside, and glued back again, of course.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
When did you transfer your 8-tracks to the iPod?

Eight years? Download that music onto something more current.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ nah, the IPod Classic is exactly that. 120-160 gigs that can take music, videos, podcasts, etc. they are worth repairing.

My first on is dead with a hard drive failure and my second one is still running though the battery is losing some juice. I've been thinking on getting the first one fixed but ended up buying another Classic off a workmate. Got it for a good price and it's practically brand new.

Still thinking on getting the first one fixed so I have a backup to the backup.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5750 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^^^Agree with that one. Apple hit it right with that model. I have to remind myself that it's a mechanical hard drive. The clickwheel is a welcome contrast to all the touchscreens (as good as they are; it's just nice to have something different.) And being able to lug around your entire music or movie collection.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16336 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
If you can stand to adopt the Apple Music model, you may still be able to purchase the Apple iTunes Match service. Here the library is duplicated on Apple servers under your Apple ID. At least then you would be backed up.

Is there any chance you could just duplicate the iPod hard drive contents somewhere before you open the iPod case? Good luck with your replacement project.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5051 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post