SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fountain Pen User Roll Call
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fountain Pen User Roll Call Login/Join 
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I'm ordering a nib, a Z24 converter and ink from Goulet. Probably the Lamy Joy calligraphy pen as well for the Still budget items at this point, until I figure out what I like.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Élysée Diplomat for everyday use (nice and thin, takes cartridges).

This one for nice use - satinwood:

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The good Sisters of Mercy never gave me a grade higher than a D in penmanship. The Palmer Method and I just didn't get along. However the Nuns would not allow us to use ballpoint pens so I love and use fountain pens every day. I currently have a Waterman Expert with a fine nib and have used it daily for over 10 years,

"Politics is to Philosophy as Engineering is to Science."

Posts: 183 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fatmanspencer
posted Hide Post
When I thought I had enough expensive hobbies. Thanks. But on a serious note, can left handed people use these?

Used guns deserve a home too

Posts: 783 | Location: North Ga | Registered: August 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, leftys can use fountain pens without smearing the still wet ink as your hand advances down the line. You just have to either change your hand position, or change the angle of the paper you are writing on.

If you think you can, YOU WILL!!!!!

Posts: 3833 | Location: Wolverine-Land!!!! | Registered: August 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Count me among the old school users!

(listed in order of acquisition; favor nibs that provide a big bold expressive line!)

Waterman Cotele Grey Lacquer, B gilded nib
Waterman Exclusive Bordeaux Lacquer, F 18kt nib
Waterman Le Man 100 Black, OB 18kt
Waterman Le Man 100 Opera, ST 18kt nib
Waterman Phileas Green marble, F gilded nib
Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green, OBB 18kt nib
Platinum Composer #3776 Black w/twin tine “Music” 14kt nib
Waterman Liaison Orange-Black Woodgrain (ebonite), ST 18kt nib
Waterman Le Man 100 Clear Briarwood, OB 18kt nib
Waterman Phileas Gray marble, M gilded nib
Italix Churchman's Prescriptor, Black Lacquer, Extra Broad Oblique Italic gilded #6 JoWo nib

Big brown ink fan. Smile
Waterman Havana Brown (Absolute Brown)
Pelikan Edlestein Smoky Quartz 2017
J. Herbin 1670 Caroube de Chypre
Seitz-Kreuznach Chestnut Brown
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown
J. Herbin Lie de The
Private Reserve Copper Burst
Noodler's Golden Brown
Seitz-Kreuznach Cognac
Sheaffer Kings Gold

Others on hand:
Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau (Royal Blue)
Waterman Florida Blue (Serenity Blue)
Waterman Blue-Black (Mysterious Blue)
Montblanc Black
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black
Diamine Gray
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red
Pelikan 4001 Brillant Green

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatmanspencer:
When I thought I had enough expensive hobbies. Thanks. But on a serious note, can left handed people use these?

I'm left-handed and have no problems.

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^. I'm also a lefty, my handwriting is fair, not really very pretty but close to decent.

I've got a Lamy Safari V17 and a Pilot Metropolitan, just getting into nicer writing for hand writen letters and birthday cards, etc.

So far I think I prefer the Pilot.

I'd like a slightly better pen, not too expensive, under $50-$75, that will be better suited to filling from bottled ink.

What's a recommendation for a pen and some small bottles of ink? Especially that I'm a lefty and not wanting to spend a lot of money? I just want to be able to write nicer notes, letters and cards.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fizteach
posted Hide Post
I have pilot vanishing point pens as well some that are cheaper. I especially like to use the red pilot filled with red ink for grading papers. Refilling this pen is fun too, as I keep a paper towel for blotting red ink on my desk. Invariably, students ask me about the blood on the paper towel.

Get over it!!

Posts: 669 | Location: Campbell, TX | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My "Chicken Scratch" writing doesn't deserve a good Fountain Pen.

I make do with ball point, usually a 40 year old Lamy or quality Japanese. Both take Parker refills.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I use fountain pens almost exclusively.

I have, in various nib sizes, 2 Pelikan m1000s, 7 m800s (3 are 805s) and 1 m100. I also have a Penieder La Grande Bellerazza (probably butchered that name). The m1000s are my narrow favorites.

...and let's not get started on inks!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I'd like a slightly better pen, not too expensive, under $50-$75, that will be better suited to filling from bottled ink.

What's a recommendation for a pen and some small bottles of ink? Especially that I'm a lefty and not wanting to spend a lot of money? I just want to be able to write nicer notes, letters and cards.

The TWSBI Eco is a very good budget pen. It is a $30 pen that they could probably sell for $75 if they wanted to. Excellent packaging, even including a small tube of silicone grease. This is a piston fill mechanism, which is extremely easy to fill from bottles. It will not take cartridges at all, this will be strictly bottle fill.

https://www.gouletpens.com/col...bi-eco-fountain-pens

Lamy's house inks are actually pretty good for a house brand, and they are generally thought of as more on the "drier" side, which would be good for a lefty. Very reasonably priced as well.

https://www.gouletpens.com/col...ctions%2Fbottled-ink

Goulet Pens even has a "Lefty Shopping Guide"

https://www.gouletpens.com/col...ons%2Flefty-approved

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^. Thank You Mr Palm!

I see they have ink sample lots. I'll give that a try.

Posts: 11841 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post