SIGforum
Fountain Pen User Roll Call

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/4430082124

March 19, 2017, 06:08 PM
ardbeg
Fountain Pen User Roll Call
Hi guys,
Curious how many fountain pen users we have among us. I have owned, and used, a couple on and off over the years but got bitten hard by the fountain pen bug earlier this year. I almost always use proceeds from selling guns to buy new guns but actually used the last set to buy myself a nice shiny new Pelikan M800. Now, I am not going to go saying that the pen is mightier than the sword (or Glock), but it sure is prettier than the Glock I sold to get it.

I have a variety of other ones of American, German, and Japanese heritage with nibs that run from a super XF Sailor to a 1.1mm stub.

I am also somewhat taken with the fun of trying new inks.

This hobby has almost the same money-stealing possibilities as gun collecting. What say you, are you in the same boat? What are your favorite pens? Inks? Do you EDC an FP? Use one on occasion?

_________
There once was a man from Nantucket...
March 19, 2017, 06:13 PM
12thwisconsin
Honestly, I never felt my penmanship worthy of a fountain pen. My mother, on the other hand, does have such penmanship and still uses them.
March 19, 2017, 06:16 PM
ardbeg
quote:
Originally posted by 12thwisconsin:
Honestly, I never felt my penmanship worthy of a fountain pen. My mother, on the other hand, does have such penmanship and still uses them.

I felt the same way for a long time, but my shooting ability doesn't justify me owning a DMR either, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying one.

I just find that I enjoy the experience. Who cares what your writing looks like, if you enjoy it, do it. Life is too short to care about whether things make logical sense. Smile

_________
There once was a man from Nantucket...
March 19, 2017, 06:19 PM
jhe888
I have several. Some Parkers, Shaeffers, one cheap Waterman (which writes very nicely for a steel nib), some Lamy pens (also nice for a low price) and a Sailor, which is a very nice writer, indeed.

I'm missing one or two, but I keep them at work.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.
March 19, 2017, 06:21 PM
6guns
I've never used one, but I suspect being a lefty might be a problem.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
March 19, 2017, 06:24 PM
bald1
Count me in!

Pens with year acquired:
Waterman Cotele Grey Lacquer, B gilded nib 1984
Waterman Exclusive Bordeaux Lacquer, F 18kt nib 1990
Waterman Le Man 100 Black, OB 18kt nib 1998
Waterman Le Man 100 Opera, ST 18kt nib 1998
Waterman Phileas Green marble, F gilded nib 1998
Pelikan Souverän M1000 Black-Green, OBB 18kt nib 1998
Platinum Composer #3776 Black w/twin tine 1.5mm “Music” 14kt nib 1998
Waterman Liaison Orange-Black Woodgrain (ebonite), ST 18kt nib 2001
Waterman Le Man 100 Clear Briarwood, OB 18kt nib 2001
Waterman Phileas Gray marble, M gilded nib 2010

Favorites are the Waterman Le Man 100 series, Pelikan M1000, and Platinum #3776 Composer. Much prefer broad wide nibs to narrower fine types.

I favor brown inks but here's my bottled ink inventory:
Pelikan Edlestein Smoky Quartz (ink of the year 2017)
Waterman Havana Brown (Absolute Brown)
J. Herbin 1670 Caroube de Chypre
Seitz-Kreuznach Chestnut Brown
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Brown
J. Herbin Lie de The
Private Reserve Copper Burst
Noodler's Golden Brown
Seitz-Kreuznach Cognac
Sheaffer Kings Gold
Pelikan 4001 Konigsblau (Royal Blue)
Waterman Florida Blue (Serenity Blue)
Montblanc Black
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black
Diamine Gray
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red
Pelikan 4001 Brillant Green

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192
March 19, 2017, 06:46 PM
eyrich
Just got back into them for taking work notes.

March 19, 2017, 06:51 PM
Woodman
When I wrote contracts for a living, I'd use a fountain pen for the signatures. The customers felt special being handed the pen. I used a dark green ink.

I've tried writing with ink and nib only, and it is damn hard!
March 19, 2017, 07:01 PM
AKSuperDually
I have about a dozen or so. None that cost more than $100 to purchase.

I use them for signing documents, and for personal hand-written correspondence (which isn't ever very long, and isn't very often).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com
March 19, 2017, 07:03 PM
V-Tail
I prefer fountain pens to ball points. When I spent all day at a desk, that's all that I used.

I don't do that much writing now, so I just use ball points.

Trivia: I read that the most frequently stolen items in this country are pens.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים
March 19, 2017, 07:06 PM
greco
I lose all my pens and good mechanical pencils when I set them down. Therefore I use BIC or some other disposable pen I find laying in sight.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom
March 19, 2017, 07:09 PM
redleg2/9
Yard-O-Led – favorite being the Grand Viceroy Barley (2000 centennial proofed), Pelikan 800, ST. Dupont Olympio Lacquer Vertigo and several celluloids.

My favorite celluloids are all Visconti. The Honey Club is my favorite with the Ponte Vecchio Limited Edition Adriatic Stone my daily user.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/
March 19, 2017, 07:20 PM
msfzoe
Have used a fountain pen my entire life.
Mt Blanc 149 Diplomat is my daily driver.
March 19, 2017, 07:30 PM
DSgrouse
I have a fair number of moderately priced FP. I can not even begin to name them all anymore.

I swap out once a week or so.

Looking at this photo, thwre 6 to 10 missing, this was taken some time last year.
I live not to terribly far from goulet pens....
March 19, 2017, 07:32 PM
Redleg06
I used several before I retired. Since then I've been trading them off. Swapped a set of three Mont Blanc (fountain, ball point, and pencil) in the leather case for a S&W 15-22. I still have a Lamy Safari and Parker 75 Cisele to unload. Fortunately, the owner of my local gun shop is a pen junky.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"
March 19, 2017, 07:49 PM
DrDan
I write all my course notes with a fountain pen, as well as a number of other writing tasks.

This space intentionally left blank.
March 19, 2017, 07:57 PM
Rey HRH
I was just finished eye-balling a Pelikan Souran M805 black-white fountain pen just before I opened Sigforum just now.

I only have 1 fountain pen. I use it for my work journal, not to be snobby, but to slow down my handwriting to give me better odds of figuring out what I wrote down later on when I come back to it.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
March 19, 2017, 08:46 PM
lizardman_u
Well I too use a fountain pen.

Currently a Pilot "Vanishing Point" retractable in white finish with an XF nib, but I also have the 1.1mm stub for that pen as well.

I have a parker 51 I picked up at an antique store for $10.00 cleaned it, filled it and use it (medium nib).

I also have a Mont Blanc 321 made in 1971 with a fine nib, and a Platinum with Music nib.

I have other fountain pens (like a TWSBI, and some other less expensive ones) that get some use.

I find it a joy to use a fountain pen to write.

March 19, 2017, 08:59 PM
thunderson
Yep. I have a couple. Nothing expensive, Cross I think, around 30 bucks.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown
March 19, 2017, 09:10 PM
rsd1220
I have a few nice pens, but only 3 fountains. Demonstrators are my favorite, but are too $$$! Almost pulled the trigger on a red Aurora Optima demonstrator back when it came out. Good thing I didn't since it would just be sitting in a box along with the uninked Delta.

- Delta demonstrator
- Parker 75 (c. 1970s), crosshatch sterling silver
- TWSBI demonstrator

Nowadays, I usually use gel pens to write notes, unless I'm bored and fill up the Parker 75, which writes pretty good. The TWSBI also writes pretty good for a relatively low-cost pen.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__