SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A family vacation to remember but not in a good way
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A family vacation to remember but not in a good way Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Dang this family will never forget their family vacation. There are a lot of places in the world that I find intriguing but I vacation in the USA. Their choice, IMO, was a very questionable vacation to take young kids along on. I like the line "as we grow older" LOL with them being in their early 30s.

"How an American Family Escaped Pirates in the Amazon"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...QB?OCID=ansmsnnews11

PORTO DOS DIAS, Brazil—In October 2012, Adam and Emily Harteau, a California couple in their early 30s, set out on an overland journey to the southernmost tip of South America in their Volkswagen Westfalia camper van. With colorful travel photos, $16,301 raised on Kickstarter, and the hashtag #vanlife, they drew an army of social-media followers intrigued by their seemingly blissful existence.

“As we grow older, time is punctuated by appointments and alarm clocks, and we forget how to live at our own pace,” Ms. Harteau wrote in a photo essay published in the New York Times’ travel section in August, nearly five years into what was initially planned as a yearlong trip. “We wanted to slow down time again by raising a family on the road and use their questions about nature and life as our curriculum. We are world-schooling our kids.”

The Harteaus’ adventure came to a harrowing end on Nov. 1, when a ferry captain plucked the couple and their two daughters, 6-year-old Colette and 3-year-old Sierra, from a river in Pará state in the Brazilian Amazon. They had spent the previous three days hiding in the jungle after pirates in a wooden canoe ambushed the barge carrying them upriver on their return journey to California.
“They were very, very scared, hungry and covered by insect bites,” said Dinei dos Santos, the boat’s manager, who spotted them signaling for help.

Get news and analysis on politics, policy, national security and more, delivered right to your inbox

The couple didn’t respond to interview requests. The tale of their escape and subsequent rescue was pieced together from their statements to police and accounts from locals in the remote area where they were rescued.

The band of a half-dozen armed pirates surrounded and took control of the vessel Andorinha, or Swallow, on Oct. 29, brought the vessel ashore and confined the Harteaus and the crew in a tugboat. After several hours being held hostage and intermittently threatened at gunpoint, the family decided to make a run for it.

In the middle of the night, as the robbers were apparently busy off-loading cargo from the hijacked barge, Mr. Harteau grabbed a survival kit and his surfboard from the Westfalia and slipped into the Jacaré Grande River with his family.

Using the surfboard as a float, the family of four swam a mile and a half to the opposite bank of the river. From there they bushwhacked about 6 miles over the next three days through the jungle racked by fierce thunderstorms and teeming with jaguars, anacondas, caimans and a host of venomous spiders and snakes. They hid from passersby, fearing they might have ties to the pirates.

Exhausted and hungry on their fourth day in the wild, Mr. Harteau finally pushed his family on the surfboard toward Mr. dos Santos’s ferry. He was filling out his ship’s log in the cabin as the sun set when he heard shouts and saw hands waving frantically from the choppy waters of the river.

News that the Americans were missing had surfaced the day before, when the U.S. Embassy notified family members in California. Ms. Harteau’s father, Warren Brandle, a family doctor in the Sacramento area, read vastly conflicting accounts of their fate on Brazilian websites, including reports that the family had been kidnapped and that they had jumped into the river. Adding to the mystery was the fact that the Andorinha’s crew members were aboard the barge when the police arrived, by which time the pirates had absconded.

“I thought they were dead,” said Ieda Dias, a 56-year-old nurse in the nearby village of Porto dos Dias, where she first got word of the missing family. “Nobody swims in these waters.”

But when Mr. dos Santos saw the two children on top of a surfboard and their parents in the water, he said he instantly knew it was the Americans he had heard about in the news.

“They climbed onboard and rushed to a corner,” the 30-year-old ferryman said. “I think they only wanted to feel safe.”

Crew members and other passengers on Mr. dos Santos’s ferry gave the family clothes to replace their tattered garments and fed them a typical Brazilian meal of rice, beans and beef.

The Harteaus were taken to the river town of Breves, where they spent nearly 24 hours in a local hospital. Mr. Harteau was treated for a mild allergic reaction; Ms. Harteau had sunstroke and a leg injury from a previous accident; and their daughters were treated for fever, dehydration, insect bites and sunstroke.

In an Instagram post on Sunday, the Harteaus posed with their olive-green surfboard and Brazilian authorities in front of a single-propeller airplane.

“We couldn’t be more ecstatic to say that WE ARE ALIVE,” the family declared to 132,000 followers. “We are so grateful for all of your well wishes in these difficult times and want to relay our love for Brazil, which remains even after the hell we survived.”............... More at link near top.

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are Californians. That says a lot.

I don't know what Kickstarter is, but it sounds like other people paid for their vacation.

Posts: 17141 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
A soundly built wall could potentially keep all kinds of bad elements from south of the border at bay...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15565 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
A soundly built wall could potentially keep all kinds of bad elements from south of the border at bay...

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 9746 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
A Grade A dumbass heading up that family unit.

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
They will likely learn all the wrong lessons from this.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29692 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll wait for the movie. (I don't go to movies.)

Posts: 1350 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
$16,301 raised on Kickstarter

Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This sounds staged or fake.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Roll Eyes

How about we raise a kickstarter for me to pay for my living expenses.

That got my attention as well. They couldn't save to finance their own vacation? And what about about those people who gave them that money? I know, a fool and his money are some party.

And to expose their children to pirates... And it's not even like they were doing some good, they were just vacationing.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19656 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
They probably also believe that wild animals are like the ones they saw in Disney movies.

At least in my opinion, if they wanted to explore and push the envelope of stupid why did they involve their children? Why didn't they leave the kids at the grandparents instead?

Home schooling? Like the three and six year olds would retain much of what they experienced. Kids of that age are still learning how to dress themselves. Unfortunately the part that they probably will remember is the fear factor they experienced while hiding out but hopefully they will not.

Snowflakes...........

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8099 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep, my first choice for a fun filled family vacation is always the Brazilian jungle. And lots for generous folks will help me finance the trip on Kickstarter.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Roll Eyes

THIS!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
So much fail here.

I especially liked how their trip was described as a "blissful existence". Big Grin

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5038 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is all fun and games until the people with the rusty machetes show up.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Brazil behaves like the third-world shithole it is. This week Formula One raced in Brazil. Last Friday a handful of Mercedes-Benz team members were robbed at gunpoint. F1 may drop Brazil next year.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Exposure to the insects alone must have been brutal. I can't stand it if a single mosquito is in the house.

Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
“We wanted to slow down time again by raising a family on the road and use their questions about nature and life as our curriculum. We are world-schooling our kids.”

Oy vey.

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stuck on
himself
posted Hide Post
quote:
We are world-schooling our kids.

They sure did. How ‘bout a sailing trip around the Horn of Africa next year?

Posts: 4177 | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I bet time slowed down for the part where they were hiding in the jungle, starving, with insects crawling on them, so the trip was a partial success. Yay, Dad!

Posts: 26899 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post