SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lease a 2020 F150 or a 2021 F150
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lease a 2020 F150 or a 2021 F150 Login/Join 
posted
Alright, so I am not looking for a "Don't lease a vehicle" or a "It's better to buy a vehicle" debate. Even as a write this, I know that is going to happen anyway.

I am debating on selling my current truck, and leasing a F150. Would it be better to lease a 2020 F150, or just wait a couple of months and lease a 2021 model. Keep in mind that they have re done the F150 for 2021, however I am an old guy so all those new bells and whistles don't really mean anything to me. I am just looking for what makes the most financial since (2020 vs 2021).

Again I am not looking for a lease vs buying debate.

Thanks

Posts: 2225 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It really depends on what Ford wants to push that month. Each month Ford seems to flip flop and one month leases are cheap.......then next month leases are expensive and financing is cheap......generally the new model leases better due to resale value at the end of the lease, and the old model buys better. I'd wait and lease the new one, but check the monthly specials and see each month until you get the deal you want.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since you don't care on the model, then what really matters is what the lessor thinks about residuals, and hence your price. There is no magic in this. Get prices and move based on what you get. We aren't going to add anything to that, unless you want to deal with the issue of a lease end buyout and then we need the actual numbers for any intelligent commentary...

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ford actually has a really good lease payment calculator on their website......so beginning of every month just play with the models (XL/XLT/Lariat etc.) and then when you see a deal jump.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Leases are based on residual value so maximizing residual value reduces the net difference with the "sale" price. I would think a late 2020 would depreciate faster than a 2021 by the end of the lease, but that is using logic which doesn't always apply with Ford sales/leases.

The 2020 might get more rebates and factory to dealer incentives to get it to move, reducing the "sale" price.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
I just wrassled the "old guy don't new the new stuff" conundrum into the dirt a few months back.

I've been mostly a 'pretty basic stuff' guy in my trucks all these decades.

Read all about the new stuff, drove some with & some without....ended buying the new stuff.

It's pretty useful to me, once I threw out my prized Luddite charcoal powered flip phone & got a few features I really wanted. Truck is the same way.

The power seat for my Sweet Bride in the new Ranger has proven to be well worth it. Etc.

Good luck.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9853 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'd get the new one.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The 2021 is a "Mid Cycle Refresh" and has meaningful upgrades.

The next major redesign will be 2023 or 2024. I predict it will be electrified in a major way.

I would, if I had the money, be looking at the 2021. Its residual value vs. its cost could make the lease payment less, as others have pointed out.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never leased one this late in the year, so not sure about $ difference.
However, you may have a harder time trying to find the one you want to lease that is a 2020 model.
You did say you are not concerned with bells and whistles, so that would help you.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post