SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any preferred rotors and brake pads?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any preferred rotors and brake pads? Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
My 2004 Toyota Siena minivan needs new front brakes and rotors. I did the brakes several years ago so I'm going to do it again. However, I need rotors now too (138,000 miles). Any suggestions pro or con would be welcome. I'm not fast but this is one thing I can do.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
My 2004 Toyota Siena minivan needs new front brakes and rotors. I did the brakes several years ago so I'm going to do it again. However, I need rotors now too (138,000 miles). Any suggestions pro or con would be welcome. I'm not fast but this is one thing I can do.

Question: Why are your replacing the rotors? Simply because of the miles, or are they worn down to the point they might not pass inspection?

And if they really need replacing, get them at the same place I get my pads and rotors.

Autozone.

Have not replaced rotors on any of our current 3 vehicles. They are just fine. Wife's 2000 Buick just went through annual inspection, no problems. Don't remember when I did the brakes on that. My truck (2000) I just went through the brakes while troubleshooting a bad wheel speed sensor. My "new" car was purchased new in 2011, has about 59,000 miles on it, still all original brake parts. But I don't do much stop and go driving.

To reiterate, I would buy the pads and rotors at autozone. But the rotors only if they won't meet specs, or perhaps they are warped.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Spend the extra money on the Wagners. The duralast will cover your tire in brake dust. I always go with wagners and they have lifetime replacement.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Dont put junk on your Toyota. Buy OEM rotors and pads from an online Toyota dealer if your trying to save a buck.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6998 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I'm a Raybestos fan but I've heard great things about the Napa line.

Check www.rockauto.com for some great prices. If you search Google, you can frequently find 5% off coupons for Rock Auto. They have it broken down into tiers of economy, daily driver and performance.

Best to combo shop to see if you need wiper blades, air filters, etc.

Rotors just aren't like they were back in the day. Seems they're made to be expendable these days changing them out instead of getting cut like the old days.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
For imports Centric rotors and Akebono pads. I've had performance pads and they are too dirty and noisy for me.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We have a '09 VW and a '99 Volvo - I used Zimmerman 'Z-coat' rotors on the VW recently. I was going to do the same on the Volvo but cheaped-out and used Bosch 'QuietCast'. Both have worked out fine thus far. I put Akebono Euro ceramic pads on both. This completely ended black brake dust production on both cars. They still dust, but it's very light in color (almost tan?) and it doesn't want to stick around on the wheels. They seem to be lasting very well. Flushed both hydraulic systems as well at the same time. Both cars are completely quiet when braking and have a little less grabby feel than OEM. Braking performance has a new linearity that I like quite a lot. You get just what you ask for, no more, no less.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Aftermarket usually offers a few levels of quality when it comes to rotors. Off the top of my head they ranged from $45 to $140 for my old Expedition. You'll get what you pay for, with the top of the line pretty close to OEM.

If you didn't last time this time you really need to replace all the " hardware" involved with the caliper slides including the rubber. This will help insure they don't seize and wear out only one side of your pads. You may or may not need lube check because if unneeded it'll just attract dirt causing early failure.

I kinda like Ceramic pads, much cleaner. I'm pretty easy on brakes here in the flat lands.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5150 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Centric rotors, wagner pads, rockauto vendor.

Posts: 1040 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Lots of choices. For my Toyota, I went with OEM rotors and Akebono Performance pads. akebono pads are stock but I upgraded to the performance pads. Happy with them - grippy especially when warmed up.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
Question: Why are your replacing the rotors? Simply because of the miles, or are they worn down to the point they might not pass inspection?

Good question. They are warped I believe. I get a pretty good vibration braking at certain times. I'll let up and then they will catch differently and not vibrate.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried RAybesto on my 03 Odyssey because OEM were crazy expensive. First pads lasted 10K and the rotors needed turning. After another 10k, they were vibrating etc. I cut my losses and spent $250 on Honda rotors and pads and haven't had problems since. In fact, I only use Honda pads.

If your Toyota stuff has been good, go with it. A few bucks now spread over a few years is worth the costs.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Our mechanic, whose judgement on these matters I trust completely, only uses OEM parts.

Posts: 26903 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PeteF:
Centric rotors, wagner pads, rockauto vendor.

I serviced the front brakes on my 2007 Honda last fall, and this is exactly what I did. I've been pleased w/ the results, especially w/ the Wagner ThermoQuiet ceramic pads.

Rockauto is probably the most popular online vendor for auto parts. If in doubt about what to get, go w/ something w/ a heart next to it. The heart indicates it's one of their best sellers. You can also research online forums and see what other owners recommend for your make and model.

You can't go wrong w/ OEM, but it will always cost more. It's not as if Toyota, Honda, et al. make every single part in their cars. Many of the aftermarket brands manufacture parts for auto companies. Often the only difference between aftermarket and OEM is the box they come in, and OEM costing twice as much.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Brembo
NAPA Gold
OEM

I am also a fan of PBR but anymore they are way to difficult to source and I don't even bother trying to find them anymore.

Akebono are who makes Toyota brakes for the most part anymore. Toyotas have some of the worst brakes you will find from the factory. Though most of the problem is Toyota really undersizes their brakes in my opinion especially on the Sienna.

Our Highlander did far better when I put a combo of Brembo and Bosch on the front. Brembo did not make rotors for the Highlander for some reason. The Bosch rotors warped pretty quick and I would not use them again and would go with NAPA.

Our Sienna we just picked up had brand new brakes when we purchased it with only 35k miles. Maybe the dealer was being overly cautious replacing them that early but maybe they only get about 35k on factory stuff. We'll see.

The inlaws Tundra eats brakes like freaking candy!

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Put these on the Rear of our 2001 Yukon XL and love them.

https://www.bendix.com.au/cont...endix-brakes-4wd-suv

Match Quality Rotor with Quality Pads for best performance

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshohocken.com/

I've ordered several OEM Toyota and Lexus parts from this site. Shipping on heavy things is expensive, as you might expect.

Posts: 3594 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
Pads...go with Wagner ThermoQuiets, period. Best over the counter pads out there. No squeaks and no excessive brake dust. Last a long time. Been using these in multiple vehicles for many years and have never had a single complaint.

Rotors shop around and choose your $$ for your budget. I usually go middle or upper end on rotors.

For years now I have bought all auto parts from Advance Auto unless it's an OEM only part.

Discount codes for Advance....
P20 - 20% off
TRT30 - 30% off (iirc you need $50 total first for this discount)
Their is a 40% off discount code at times. Google it and see if there is a current version. Usually have to spend $100 or more though.

Sign up for their Perk Awards also. You get a $5.00 kick per certain dollar amount spent. It's a good program.

Rockauto will have, usually, far better prices in pads and rotors. But once you add their shipping and taxes you usually end up at same or more price point as the local Advance Auto after the above discount codes.

I do all my own stunts. Every time I have a vehicle repair I do a price comparison between the following....
Advance Auto
Auto Zone
NAPA
OEM
O'Reilly
Rock Auto

99.9% of the time Advance Auto has the best prices, especially with discount codes. They are also 99.9% in stock. Free ship to store. Free ship to home at certain dollar point.

I am not affiliated with or work for Advance Auto. These are all my personal experiences. Good Luck.

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
OEM rotors with any nicer pad. On my Civic I run Advance Auto gold pads. For a DD or basic driving, they grip just fine and are very low dust. Use TRT30 to get 30% off ordering online.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
I personally have had great luck with Carquest rotors and the Wearever Platinum pads from Advance Auto.

Whatever you go with, get ceramic pads. It's worth the extra few dollars.

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post