SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need some good high-heat paint
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some good high-heat paint Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
What would you recommend for painting this spot on my fireplace where the paint has flaked off from the heat?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Looks like the preparation or primer under the paint may be the problem.

Posts: 9491 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rustoleum Barbecue Black is made for it

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if ya can’t find Rustoleum, Krylon BBQBlack is great also.
Walmart had the best prices.1200 degree heat range.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
thanks everyone. I'll look into those spray paint products.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4929 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
You can go to your local fireplace shop and buy touch up spray paint that will match exactly.

Easy Peasy

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oldrider
posted Hide Post
The key to any good paint job is preparation as previously mentioned. Sand the area, feathering the edges and then wipe it down with a clean rag and denatured alcohol to remove any oily stuff. Allow to air dry and if you've picked wisely the color/repaint should be hardly noticeable.

Posts: 360 | Location: Outinthesticks | Registered: October 08, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
I've used Rustoleum Barbeque Black for many things including exhaust headers. It was better than VHT Header Paint IMO.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8096 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Neel
posted Hide Post
Stove paint at your local wood stove shop is a good choice, prep is key.

If you do use stove paint, the first time you light it up, expect some fumes, my wood stove when painted and fired was enough to drive me out of the room.

Posts: 559 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: May 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post