SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Florida State Agriculture Commissioner race
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Florida State Agriculture Commissioner race Login/Join 
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted
Florida Voters what are your thoughts?
With the primary tomorrow I know pretty much who I am voting for across the board except for Ag Comm.

Troutman has said that he believes a new reporting structure is needed for background checks and said he’s open to discussions on moving the program to the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. He has backpedaled on this and now says it should not be moved but I don’t think I trust him on it so he is out.

McCalister refused to return the NRA’s survey and his answers to questions seem canned and lack any real substance. He also seems to be election hopping trying to get into any political office so veteran or not, he is off the short list.

That leaves Caldwell and Grimsley
I am leaning toward Caldwell but his NRA endorsement is offset sort of by his Marco Rubio endorsement.

What are your thoughts on this race? I think this race is way more important than you would expect although I don’t think there will be a serious Dem opponent in Nov.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Caldwell is NRA pick, did my early voting Saturday that was my selection, Rubio endorsement doesn't hurt in my opinion..

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went with the NRA endorsement; Caldwell.

I do like that part of Grimsley's advertisements she said she would take on the telephone scammers that call multiple times per day, every day.

All in all, the Florida primary's have been filled with negative advertising; I don't mind negative advertising but I don't know where to turn to to get the truth. I don't who knows what to trust so I voted for the NRA endorsed candidate.

Posts: 990 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Baxter Troutman is a super rich farmer, grandson of Ben Hill Griffin Jr (like the stadium), and served in the FL house for quite a long time. Says he is a lifetime NRA member. Call me jaded, but why would one of perhaps the richest farmers in Florida, want to be commissioner of agriculture. Conflict of interest?

Here is his voting record.

https://votesmart.org/candidat...an/?p=1#.W4QqYehKiUk

Looks like he voted NO with all the democrats on the only gun bill that came up during his tenure.

https://votesmart.org/bill/672...ehicles#.W4QreehKiUl

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have several professional licenses for activities regulated by the Department of Agriculture. After studying all the information available to me, I early voted for Caldwell. I don't think Troutman has a snowball's chance and Grimsley is way too shaky on the 2A, a real concern since Department of Agriculture oversees all firearms licensing in Florida.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I'll be voting Caldwell. The man knows what work is and how to accomplish it. I like that.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
I voted for Caldwell early. Only ads I've seen though have been Troutman's.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Doesn't the Dept of Agriculture in Fla administer CCW permits? If so, the NRA's endorsement carries even more weight for me.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
I think Caldwell also.

But with apologies to the o.p., which A.G. Is full of crap? They both call each other liberal liars.....

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In response to the AG question - I’m voting for Ashley Moody. I know her personally as someone of high integrity with a heart for public service. She’s not a politician which shouldn’t matter, but it does a lot in this environment.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Caldwell has the edge and no one has offered up anything to change that soo...

As for the AG, I think it is Whie who is full of shit.

He calls Moddy a life long democrat. In reality Moody registered as a dem at age 18. At age 22 she registered as a Rep and has been one for the last 20 some years,

He also accuses Moody of sueing president Trump for fraud. In reality Moody was one of about 50 plaintiffs that sued Trump’s company over not delivering as promised on the condos they had paid for in the Trump towers in Tampa which IIRC they won. Fraud and Trump were in the filings but talk about streching the context.

Moody has my vote mostly because she was a fed prosecutor for 2 years and then a Judge and cops like her.

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I agree on Moody for A.G. She has a great reputation with law enforcement in the Tampa area and that's not easy to get.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Agree on Caldwell and Moody. I am friends with a Florida Sheriff who speaks highly of Moody.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Thanks dudes. I Went Moody. My gut told me the other dude was a whacko.

I Empathize with Moody also. I am very southern. I was raised Democrat and even worked as a research assistant for the FL party in the 90's! As soon as I graduated college and didn't need that job, I went Rep. I am more conservative than most republicans I know now. Probably Libertarian in many ways.

So much so that when people find out I WAS a Dem, the typical reaction is a dropped jaw. Smile

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Caldwell and Moody won.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s a shame Putnam lost. He’s a great guy, very down to earth. Not a good time to be a career politician running against Trump’s pick.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree about Putnam. I think he would have been better for Florida.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I watched a debate between DeSantis and Putnam a month or two ago. Putnam handed him his ass. DeSantis looked like he was on a high school debate team (a bad one), and did not come across looking anywhere near electable. Putnam looked like a strong candidate who would have been great for FL.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I voted for Putnam but will support DeSantis. DeSantis has some polishing up to do between now and the general, but I will support him.

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Putnam had it sewn up until Hannity and Trump got behind Desantis and it flipped almost overnight...

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post