SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I have decided I love cheese
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I have decided I love cheese Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Mak and cheese.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I have a nice aged gouda in the fridge. Delicious.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Marathon cheddar.

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Mak and cheese.

I love it!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love cheddar on the wheel. It’s just better sliced than buying a block at the super market.

P226 9mm CT
Springfield custom 1911 hardball
Glock 21
Les Baer Special Tactical AR-15

Posts: 1128 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

I love just about any cheese, except Limburger. Might like that too, if I could get past its smell.
Back when McSorley's was a "men only" pub, we used to meet after work on Friday. A buck and a half would get you a large platter of pumpernickel bread, butter, limburger cheese, and onion slices. Mugs of ale were two for thirty-five cents.

I feel bad for the women who had to share beds with those dudes. Eek

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
"Mak and cheese"

That makes me miss my Makarov Frown...

Cue up your best Joni Mitchell inside your head voice...

"Don't it always seem to go...
That you don't know what you’ve got till it’s gone"...

But at least there's cheese (even "truck cheese") Big Grin

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better lucky than good
Picture of r2mach1
posted Hide Post
WTF took you so long?!?!?! Razz

Class III FFL/SOT firearms dealer

Posts: 3645 | Location: Fort Morgan, Colorado | Registered: November 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Yeah, no kidding!!!

Mac n Cheese
Pizza with Cheese
Omelet with Cheese
Burrito with Cheese
Crackers and Cheese
Bacon and Cheese
Hummus and Cheese
Sausage Biscuit with Cheese
Grilled Ham and Cheese
Lasagna with Cheese
Summer Sausage and Cheese
Nachos with Cheese
Steak sandwich with Cheese
Deep-fried Mozzarella sticks
Jalapeno Peppers stuffed with Cheese
Cheese Fries
Cheeseburger
Cheesecake Wink
String Cheese

quote:
Originally posted by r2mach1:
WTF took you so long?!?!?! Razz

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
Yes, cheese and bacon really make everything better.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Presidents and giant cheese wheels were a thing, starting with Thomas Jefferson:

quote:
What’s More Presidential Than a Gift of Big Cheese?
February 23, 2015

View Images
This wheel of smoked gouda on display at La Fromagerie Cheese & Wine Bistro in Alexandria, VA, is not nearly as big as Jefferson's gift.
Photograph by Angie McPherson, National Geographic
American presidents are traditionally associated with Air Force One, the State of the Union, “Hail to the Chief,” and the West Wing. Historically, however, they’ve also been paired with – yes, really – large wheels of cheese.

The tradition began in 1802, when President Thomas Jefferson was given a gift of a giant cheese from the citizens of Cheshire, Mass. The cheese was the idea of Baptist Elder John Leland, a Jefferson supporter in the fraught election of 1800 in which Jefferson (a Republican) defeated John Adams (a Federalist).

It was made from the milk of 900 impeccably Republican cows and pressed in an outsized cider press. When finished, it measured four feet across and 17 inches high, and weighed, once cured, 1,235 pounds.

Engraved with the patriotic motto “Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God,” the cheese was shipped to Washington via sleigh (hauled by six oxen), sloop, and wagon.

It arrived on Dec. 29, 1801, and Leland himself was on hand to present it, pointing out – somewhat uncomfortably to slave-owning Jefferson – that the cheese “was produced by the personal labor of freeborn farmers and with the voluntary and cheerful aid of their wives and daughters, without the assistance of a single slave.”

The gargantuan Jeffersonian cheese was the first object to which the word “mammoth” was applied as an adjective. The first complete mammoth skeletons had recently been excavated from a marl pit near Newburgh, New York, and were on display in Charles Willson Peale’s Philadelphia Museum – where they so caught the public’s fancy that the word “mammoth” was soon used to describe anything of remarkable scope or size. A Washington, D.C., resident, after gulping down 42 eggs in ten minutes, proclaimed himself a Mammoth Eater; a New York gardener grew a 20-pound Mammoth Radish; and the U.S. Navy, inspired by Jefferson’s Mammoth Cheese, produced a matching Mammoth Loaf of bread, baked using an entire barrel of flour. (Subsequent studies showed that Peale’s mammoths were actually mastodons, but by then the word had stuck.)

The mammoth cheese was stashed in the East Room of the White House – promptly dubbed the “mammoth room” – where it awed visitors and inspired poet Thomas Kennedy to compose an ode in its honor, in eight verses beginning “Most excellent, far fam’d and far fetch’d Cheese!”

It’s not clear what ultimately happened to the cheese, though Jefferson’s guests appear still to have been eating it a year later. One story holds that its remains were eventually tossed into the Potomac River.

But the gifting of a big cheese didn’t end there. An even more mammoth cheese arrived at the White House in 1835, a present to President Andrew Jackson from Col. Thomas Meacham of Oswego County, New York. Meacham wasn’t a fan of Jackson (he had supported Jackson’s rival, Henry Clay), but he hoped that the cheese would serve to advertise the exceptional industry and ingenuity of his home state. Meacham’s cheese, which weighed 1,400 pounds, was paraded through New York in a wagon decorated with flags; then shipped to D.C. via schooner.

Jackson, like Jefferson, displayed his cheese in the East Room – the White House’s largest reception room – and served it to a crowd of 10,000 on Washington’s birthday in 1837. The cheese was said to be a hit, despite its powerful odor (“so strong as to overpower a number of dandies and lackadaisical ladies,” according to The Portsmouth Journal of Literature and Politics.)

The guests polished it off in two hours, leaving behind only the smell – so penetrating and offensive that the staff of incoming President Martin Van Buren was forced to spend days airing the East Room carpets, stripping down the curtains, and whitewashing the walls. Van Buren subsequently banned the serving of food at White House receptions.

Peter Waddell, The Great Cheese, oil on canvas, 48″ x 96″, © White House Historical Association.
As the 19th century progressed, ever-more-enormous cheeses became a feature of expositions and agricultural fairs, often to be ceremoniously sliced by some prominent public figure.

The World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893, also known as the Chicago World’s Fair, featured, for example, a “Mammoth Cheese” from Ontario, Canada, weighing in at 22,000 pounds. It was made from the milk of 10,000 cows and transported to the fair via special train. Also known as Le Fromage Éléphant, it wowed fairgoers by promptly crashing through the floor of the Canadian display and having to be transferred to a reinforced concrete slab in the Agricultural Building.

The year 1911 found President William Howard Taft at the National Dairy Show, cutting a six-ton cheese (“a whopper of a cheese, a regular Behemoth of a cheese, a Gargantuan, Brobdingnagian sort of cheese, the very granddaddy of all the cheeses that have been made, manufactured or concocted since the world began, says Walton Williams of The Daily Times, a Pennsylvania newspaper, on Oct. 16, 1911.

Given all this historical cheese enormity, it seems obvious why the phrase “big cheese” should have come to mean the most important person in a group, synonymous with such alpha-wolf terms as big wheel, top dog, and head honcho. Perversely, though, big cheese, linguistically, seems not to have much to do with cheese.

The term is an import from England that first popped up in American English in the early 20th century. Best guess is that it originated as “chiz,” defined in the Anglo-Indian dictionary Hobson-Jobson (1886) – a glossary of terms adopted by the occupying British from native Indian languages – as “thing.” “It’s the chiz,” an admiring expression used in British India to mean “It’s the real thing,” was eventually transmogrified in England to the more familiar “It’s the cheese,” and later, in America, to “big cheese.”

Today, the White House has twice sponsored Big Block of Cheese Day in January, a holiday inspired both by Andrew Jackson’s democratically shared cheese and a cheese-promoting episode of the popular TV political drama, The West Wing. On Big Block of Cheese Day, members of the administration flock to the social media to answer the public’s questions about issues of concern.

Sadly, the event does not involve actual cheese.

Link

Posts: 18054 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
My maternal grandfather loved French Compte. I do too.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'll be the nay-sayer here--I despise cheese, all kinds.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Fond you?

Fond me too.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12717 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That MAK and cheese looks gouda. The only thing I love more is BREAD. A nice fresh loaf and cheese brings smile to my face.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
That MAK and cheese looks gouda. The only thing I love more is BREAD. A nice fresh loaf and cheese brings smile to my face.

Yesterday, at my cheese store, I saw a cheese that I’d never seen before: “bread cheese”. I didn’t buy it, but after reading the article below, I regret that error. I’m thinking that I ought to go over today and get it. Might be right up your alley too.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/w...cle/bread-cheese/amp

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For brands you can get at the supermarket I like:

Posts: 12676 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
quote:
That MAK and cheese looks gouda.

smoked gouda, to be precise. I forget what the second cheese was.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I did go over to Bristol Farms today to get the bread cheese. Made by Carr Valley Cheese:

http://www.carrvalleycheese.co...se/productinfo/3082/

There were two varieties: Bread Cheese, and Garlic Bread Cheese, indistinguishable in appearance. Naturally I bought the garlic variety. In fact, I bought three sealed packages, each just over 1/2 lb. I’ve never tried it before, but I’m confident that I’ll like it – seldom met a cheese that I didn’t like.

It’ll be awhile before I try it – I have an open package of superb cheddar to finish first. But the article about bread cheese that I linked in my previous post:

www.bonappetit.com/test-kitche...cle/bread-cheese/amp

said that it keeps good six months if refrigerated. Apparently most folks use it for dipping, but I plan to eat it in sandwiches of German-baked pumpernickel.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Croque Madam Sandwich, its like Eggs Benedict on steroids.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/re...dwich-recipe-1922870

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5963 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post