SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone ride a Aprilia motorcycle
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone ride a Aprilia motorcycle Login/Join 
posted
I'm looking at buying a second bike and the Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono Factory have caught my attention. Anyone have experience with these bikes? I've owned several BMW's and love them but this time around I'd like to try another brand. I like the Ducati but ergos are wrong, triumph along with Jap bikes do nothing for me but the Aprilia with the Super pole graphics really looks great and gives the bike a unique look that sets it apart from the rest of the crowd.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Tuonos are fun.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming that you are looking at the RR as opposed to the RF model. There are a number of videos on YouTube worth watching and it sounds like an awesome ride. If I was 35 years younger I'd give it a long look.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
I'm assuming that you are looking at the RR as opposed to the RF model. There are a number of videos on YouTube worth watching and it sounds like an awesome ride. If I was 35 years younger I'd give it a long look.

Jim

The RR looks like any other liter bike and I don't like the flat black paint job so I'm looking at the 2016 or /2017 models with the Super pole graphic which is the RF and Tuono Factory.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 2001 rsv 1000 new and rode it for about 8 years. I've had many exotic and normal motorcycles and the aprilia was by far the best one by a country mile. Super reliable and pretty rare. I regret selling it to this day.

Posts: 548 | Location: washington state. | Registered: June 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
You will need a dealer close, as Aprilia support from the factory is nearly non-existent. Mine was without issue and a superb ride. Look at the AF1 Racing website, best source of Aprilia information. They depreciate rapidly and sell slowly on the used market.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sunburn:
You will need a dealer close, as Aprilia support from the factory is nearly non-existent. Mine was without issue and a superb ride. Look at the AF1 Racing website, best source of Aprilia information. They depreciate rapidly and sell slowly on the used market.

Fortunately there's a Aprilia dealer less than an hour from my house, I don't do my own maintenance so having a dealership close by is mandatory. I've found that everything seems to depreciate rapidly, cars, motorcycles and boats too. So far everything I've read indicates they are great to ride.

More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Absolutely great motorcycles, the Tuono has a more upright riding position.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1087 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ducati new supersport s is your ticket, if I don't have my BMW S1000r I for sure will get that bike. April Turono is very good looking bike but be prepare to fill you tank often actually is a lot often.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by skyline009:
Ducati new supersport s is your ticket, if I don't have my BMW S1000r I for sure will get that bike. April Turono is very good looking bike but be prepare to fill you tank often actually is a lot often.

The same shop that sells Aprilia also sells Ducati and they have a super sport in stock but the fairing looks cheap compared to their other models plus at a measly 110hp it's not the bike for me. I've also read the Tuono only gets about 110 miles per tank which is a concern but not a show stopper.

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
I have a '16 Tuono Factory. Just hard to find fault with that bike.

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:

So i test rode a Tuono factory today and didn't like the riding position. Despite the raised handle bars the riding position was still causing me to lean to far forward putting a lot of pressure on my palms and wrists. There is an option to add risers but i don't want to add risers only to find out the ergos still don't fit me. Going to look at the Ducati Monster 1200 which provides a more upright riding position but I've always heard Ducati's are maintenance intensive.

posted Hide Post
Nothing beat Japanese bike for low maintenance.

Posts: 621 | Location: WA  | Registered: June 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Jap bikes don't interest me at all unfortunately.

Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
quote:
Originally posted by italia:

So i test rode a Tuono factory today and didn't like the riding position. Despite the raised handle bars the riding position was still causing me to lean to far forward putting a lot of pressure on my palms and wrists. There is an option to add risers but i don't want to add risers only to find out the ergos still don't fit me. Going to look at the Ducati Monster 1200 which provides a more upright riding position but I've always heard Ducati's are maintenance intensive.

My Ducs have been anything but maintenance intensive. In fact the service intervals on them have increased dramatically over the past 10 years, and are comparable to just about any bike.

This site may help you identify bikes with more up-right ergonomics: Motorcycle Ergonomics

The one bike I own with the most up-right ergonomics is a MV Agusta Rivale. It's dirt bike up-right, but with 130hp. Cool

------------------------------------------------------
Though we choose between reality and madness
It's either sadness or euphoria

Posts: 2988 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
I just sold my KTM Superduke 1290R and am actively looking for a 2017 Tuono. I'm hoping to find a used one but if I wait until later in the season, I might find a heavily discounted new leftover.

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking at buying a second bike and the Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono Factory have caught my attention. Anyone have experience with these bikes? I've owned several BMW's and love them but this time around I'd like to try another brand. I like the Ducati but ergos are wrong, triumph along with Jap bikes do nothing for me but the Aprilia with the Super pole graphics really looks great and gives the bike a unique look that sets it apart from the rest of the crowd.

I have deleted my post: Forgot that I posted that exact same suggestion to you a while back.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The Jap bikes don't interest me at all unfortunately.

Didn't you recently buy a ZX14R? Thought you really liked the bike.

Posts: 2183 | Registered: July 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
BMW S1000XR. The do it all bike from the fine folks who brought you WWII.
There are some maniacs putting knobbies on them.
No Aprila dealers anywhere near me, but I do want to try out their bikes.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Suppressed:
I just sold my KTM Superduke 1290R and am actively looking for a 2017 Tuono. I'm hoping to find a used one but if I wait until later in the season, I might find a heavily discounted new leftover.

Any particular reason you sold the SDR?

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post