SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas hot water heater question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas hot water heater question Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
On our hot water heater someone wrapped it with insulation and I did not think anything about it. One day my plumber friend said I should take it off because it could cause condensation on the outside.

So what do you guys think? on or off?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What R value is that little big of insulation really providing. Might as well just leave it off.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Never seen a water heater with insulation wrapped around it.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30404 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Back in the '70s and '80s wrapping a WH was seen as an positive incremental effort in energy conservation. There are probably still companies, operating on government subsidies, who come into a home, install weatherstripping on doors and windows, wrap the WH, etc.

A modern WH is so well insulated no wrap is required. Even with me gone for two weeks and my WH gas valve set to pilot-only, I'll bet you I could take a shower with the water in the tank. If I remember, I'll get a digital reading Mon/Tues, two weeks after I shut it down.

Wrapping looks ugly, gets in the way of service, and usually appears of amateur installation.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:

Wrapping looks ugly, gets in the way of service, and usually appears of amateur installation.

Absolutely.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Back from the land of free grapefruit. Here's the follow-up on WH temperatures after I was absent for two weeks and the WH was set to 'pilot':

Outside temps dropped into the teens. It was 30˚ when I got home. The house was 50˚. The basement, 57˚, as was the cold water sitting in the water pipe (from the street, the cold water is about 48˚).

The water in the WH was a few tenths under 100˚. After sitting for 16 days. Plenty warm to shower. Although after 48 hours in the truck, I cranked up the WH while unpacking. It takes about 45 minutes to make virtually unlimited hot water. Enough (steam) to set off a smoke detector in the hall.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post