SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body armor for private citizens
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 13

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Body armor for private citizens Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Who makes the best of the best in the custom fitted, soft / all day / concealable sort?

I have a chunky, heavy, bulky setup for hard plates already.

But something you could wear under regular clothes would be fantastic.

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Who makes the best of the best in the custom fitted, soft / all day / concealable sort?

I have a chunky, heavy, bulky setup for hard plates already.

But something you could wear under regular clothes would be fantastic.

It's hit or miss. I've had 5 vests, I think. My first was IIIA, and was the most comfortable. But the name escapes me. Maybe Point Blank. It was like a glove.

My next ones were all thinner, but none as comfortable. It all comes down to how good the person measuring you is. My getting fatter probably didn't help any, though.

Edit: I think this is the current version of the one I liked most:

http://www.pointblankenterpris...?product=hilite-male

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have IIIA vest that I wear on duty. I can't imagine wearing it under civilian shirts, every day. But, it is a real concern, now that you mention our present uncivil cities. I would encourage anyone to seek proper fitting (e.g. tall size) and to purchase one extra carrier. Also consider undershirts as part of the system. You will sweat through the undershirt, and cotton is less than comfortable for me. (I do like the idea of external armor, as one suggested, for situations that can be foreseen, such as traveling through a known area of concern.)

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Report This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a II-A Point Blank and a III-A Second Chance vest - the Second Chance is easier to wear and more comfortable for long hauls

note that they do require maintenance and a decent amount of care to maintain their protective levels

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Report This Post
recovering ammoholic
Picture of jaybird86
posted Hide Post
Para,

You should look at highcom personal defense kit.

Lvl4 ceramic 4sas7 plates front and rear for 310 shipped. Includes a u.s. made plate carrier. Their plates are usually 190 a piece so u are basically getting the carrier for free. Plates are about 8lbs a piece. NJ rated to stop 30.06AP.

I personally just bought this for my bday present to myself. Should have it in about 8 days.

Note they do require you to send them a picture of your passport for ITAR reasons.

I do not know if you could wear them all day but I personally think lvl3 or soft body armor is worthless in today's rifle world. Ar500 plates weigh more and don't stop M193, which is like the most popular rifle round in america...

Also there was a very informative thread over on ar15.com. I apologize if linking other sites is not allowed but the thread has some great info.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1...ol_me_on_armor_.html

Personal defense kit
http://highcomsecurity.com/col...?variant=19417959108

---------------------------------
How's your cardio?
Nature, alas, made only one being out of you although there was material for a good man and a rogue.” -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Posts: 1014 | Location: Overrun in Northern VA | Registered: January 01, 2014Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been looking at US Palm and their Defender series https://uspalm.com/product-category/defenders/ for some time. Have heard very good things about them.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Check out the Armor 101 section at AT Armor. They do a good job of explaining some of the armor technologies.

My advice do a lot of research first and pay particular attention to your threats. There is a lot of weirdness in the armor industry right now and the standards are not as clear as they could be. For example to get Certified as NIJ 101.006 level III plate the plate only has to stop 6 rounds of a specific .308 FMJ (M80). For a plate to be certified to level IV it only has to stop one bullet, a 30-06 AP round.
Manufacturers will often have their plates independently against other common rounds. But, not always. The soft armor portion of the NIJ standard doesn't require contact shots for certification whereas the FBI standard does. It can get really confusing.

If conceal ability is a must you might want to start with a soft vest (Level II or IIIA) and add something like a paracelete speed plate plus or similar "trauma plate" for limited coverage rifle protection. Velocity System's Shadow works has some very interesting concealable solutions as well.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Report This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7791 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you for bringing this up Para. I have been on AR500's site quite a few times and never pulled the trigger. It seems like our hand is being forced on this one. Fenris great call, I didn't even think about that but it greatly improves your odds of surviving even at home.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Some of this armor is heavy, what is your physical condition, make sure you can move effectively.

How much time do you plan to spend wearing this armor?

What armor will take multiple hits and be light enough for walking and jogging over an 8 hour period?

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
http://www.galls.com/concealable-armor

That reminds me, be sure to check the websites sales policies. Some sites will sell to anyone, others will only sell to LE/MIL/EMS/FIRE

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I have a Second Chance IIIA with shock plate, four sided coverage. Since I'm a little guy 5'6" at about 160 lbs the sides are almost to my arm pits giving me that extra coverage. I have two carries one in white light weight to go under a shirt go to town and other is dark blue with molle all over it (extra magazines/flashlight/First Aid) that's my go to a riot carrier. I just change carries, takes next to no time to do it. But around here in Baltimore, head shots seem to be the norm then body shots just in case (that's the boys on the corner) most are sneak up or in a crowd pull and shoot. They for the most part leave the civilians alone and are getting to be much better shots. What I fear more then getting shot where I travel is the Muslim who decides that it's time get on the news by attacking an old white guy and since he is most likely a "jail house" convert doesn't own a gun and uses a knife or hatchet as the weapon. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
We are on the same page. I just ordered over the weekend Level III plates from AR500 and a couple of Level III plates to put in backpacks as well. Ordered Mayflower plate carriers from OPTactical.com. Have not received yet so I can't comment on quality yet but from all I read they are quality products.

Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Me thinks group buy???

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
tagged

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
Me thinks group buy???

Great idea. I'm in.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7058 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife has a U.S. palm defender. She wanted it for her birthday when she was pregnant with our daughter. It is very well made and they have several videos on YouTube where they shoot a defender and it stops .44 magazine even some shotgun rounds. They have several setups available, we went with the Mollie version so it could be configured as needed. I am thinking of getting another one for myself.

Posts: 250 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: November 27, 2011Report This Post
I got a Million of 'em!
posted Hide Post
I believe Georgia gun store in Gainesville sells the US Palm stuff if you wanted to see it firsthand.

Posts: 8145 | Location: Hiram, GA. | Registered: October 24, 2007Report This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIG4EVA:
quote:
Originally posted by P226RN:
Me thinks group buy???

Great idea. I'm in.

I'll be watching too.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Report This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I have level iii rifle steel plates in a carrier and it's way too heavy. If I had time to get it on, I will but it's not something I keep around. It's next to the bed.

My old level II vest is what I keep in my trunk. It's older and heavier than my newer level IIIA issued vest (Point Blank Alpha Elite).

The thinner and more comfortable body armor will cost way more.

If it's for everyday wear then a IIA or II should be good enough for most handgun rounds you'd expect to encounter. You just have to find a local retailer that will sell to non LE. A fitted one is definitely better than an off the shelf one.

IIA will be thinnest and most comfortable. I'd still wear mine if it was allowed by policy but it's not rated to stop our duty round.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Report This Post