SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Body armor for private citizens
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 13

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Body armor for private citizens Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
What are my options? Looking for a vest, something that can be concealed under clothing, if need be.

If anyone wonders why I'm asking, I guess you've been living on the dark side of the moon for the last few years.

Posts: 107487 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What level of protection are you after? And how concealable were you envisioning?

"Soft" Kevlar body armor (Level IIA, II, or IIIA), which can be worn under clothing and is somewhat concealable, is only designed to defeat handgun rounds - and only some of those. This is what most law enforcement officers wear on a daily basis. It's less obtrusive than hard armor plates, but still somewhat noticeable when worn, if the observer is paying attention. It basically looks like you're wearing a really thick and somewhat rigid undershirt. Or like you have a couple newspapers stuffed under your shirt.

"Hard" steel or ceramic armor plates (Level III and IV) can defeat rifle rounds, but are heavier, thicker, and bulkier than soft armor, and really can't be concealed under anything except perhaps a loose jacket or coat. Some plate carriers are lower profile than others, but none of them are really designed to be hidden under casual clothing. You're not going to throw on a plate carrier under your shirt while running to the grocery store. Wink

If you want truly concealable armor... From what I've heard, there are a few companies around the world that make high-end custom-made concealed armor clothing, like Kevlar lining sewn inside a custom tailored suit coat, or the like. But you're talking major bucks for something custom like that. (Many thousands of dollars.) They're aiming for the CEO/mob boss/cartel drug lord/etc. market. Big Grin

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Report This Post
Ball Haulin'
Picture of entropy
posted Hide Post
Hey Boss,

Yea, times are changing unfortunately. I dont know what threat level you're looking to protect against, but here's what I did.

It rides around behind the seat in the truck. Banshee plate carrier. AR500 coated plates with additional kevlar sleeves to protect against spall. Simple BFG double pistol and rifle pouches. Just added a basic med kit tonight, along with the loaded mags. I carried it in back naked for a number of years. That changed today. A midsize folder and a pouch for earplugs and soft cuffs round it out.

Why? For me Im on the road a lot at odd hours. Often near a not-so-hot large city. Still take care of my Mother's house much closer to the same city. Not the best neighborhood anymore. I also do alot of OTR in the same truck. It's piece of mind.

screenshot program

--------------------------------------
"There are things we know. There are things we dont know. Then there are the things we dont know that we dont know."

Posts: 10079 | Location: At the end of the gravel road. | Registered: November 02, 2006Report This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
As long as it is not prohibited by state laws where you live body armor can be obtained from a number of sources.

Point Blank, Second Chance and Safariland were all common and reputable brands used by most agencies when I was still a cop. Most online retailers would sell to citizens/non-LE though you may come across one or two that will require proof of employment as a first responder. I knew several paramedics/EMTs that wore vests for example.

If I recall correctly what state you reside in I would think you could buy relatively easy at a local cop shop or even one of your LGS that do law enforcement contracts.

Posts: 1604 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I decided to get some AR500 steel plate armor with some sort of coating that is supposedly anti-spall and fragmentation. I bought it for use at home on the off chance that I would have time (and presence of mind) to put it on. Although steel is much heavier than the ceramic (or more exotic options) it doesn't expire like some of the others, is cheaper, and I figured that if I'm crouching behind my bed, I won't care how heavy it is.

But it probably wouldn't work for concealed wearing, everyday wear or for running and gunning. It is rather heavy and bulky.

http://www.ar500armor.com/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Fenris,

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
You might just want to call local police supply shops and see if they sell to the public. A custom measured vest is much more comfortable than a standard size. I know GT Distributors out of Rossville (yeah too long of a drive) only list must be 21 or older as a restriction on their website.

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Report This Post
The Traveler
Picture of Sweden
posted Hide Post
Rogue asked the important questions.

Below is a link that will probably answer other questions. I would suggest level iv ceramic plates for serious work.

http://www.rmadefense.com/shop.asp

Further, combine level iii or iv plates on the Slick and it will conceal well.

Just some thoughts.

Posts: 2484 | Location: CO | Registered: April 03, 2007Report This Post
BBQ Sauce for Everyone!
Picture of TKO
posted Hide Post
Plate carriers and AR-500 armor or ESAPI plates.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/572217850

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/571476363

More mid range high speed gear...

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/570981365

And then the Tier 1 Operator version

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/569753046

For concealable soft armor

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/572437860

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/571783666

"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

Posts: 8121 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: May 22, 2007Report This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
I have level three steel plates. The carrier can be concealed under a heavy sweatshirt or jacket. It is heavy but will stop both handgun and rifle rounds without the risk of blunt force trauma. Drawback is that it is heavy but I can live with that if I find myself in a situation where I will need it. I got mine from Infidel.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I recommend looking at bulletproofme.com

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I have a level 3A vest, and separate 3A plates in a carrier. Got them from the AR500 company mentioned above.

There are several youtube videos showing the 3A plates holding up well to rifle fire.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a suggestion, get a pack that has a compartment to carry a level III steel plate. This way you have enough armor to stop rifle rounds and it isn't something that you have to physically wear all the time. Just carry the backpack. If needed just wear the pack on your front. I understand wanting soft body armor but the inability to stop rifle rounds kind of sucks.

For ME:
DA/SA= Sig 9mm
Striker fired= Glock 9mm
If it's a .45= 1911
Suppressed= HK in .45
I like anything in 10mm

Posts: 1442 | Location: VA | Registered: July 29, 2007Report This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Just as an FYI, our soft armor prevents even slugs from penetration.

But my personal opinion is that it's still kill ya.

I second the suggestion to get fitted abs custom cut panels. It will greatly increase the comfort and concealability.

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If you're talking all day wear, a standard 2A vest will be light and flexible enough, and address almost any handgun caliber threats you're likely to encounter. You will sweat in that GA heat, so buy a few carriers so you can rotate them and keep them clean. They tend to get gamey over time.

If you know any cops in the area that are roughly your size, perhaps ask if they have their old vest and might part with it. At least until you can buy one fitted to you. Manufacturers give them a five service life, but I've shot panels that were 10 years old that stopped every 9, 40, and 45 I threw at them. Ours get replaced every 5 years, and I save them.

Another option would be military surplus shops or pawn stores. Modern field armor is nothing more than standard Kevlar panels for hand gun threats/frags, but offers more coverage on sides and shoulders. Not for all day wear, but good for behind the seat to don in a known emergency.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I decided to get some AR500 steel plate armor

I like that. Not a bad price either.

Funny. Just yesterday I mentioned to my sister (Sheriff's deputy) to wear her body armor always and that I was thinking of buying a plate carrier.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have an additional question while we are are on the subject.

Does anyone know where I can get some of the black ripstop nylon that is used to make vest carriers? When I was on patrol the last time, I had a vest altered to hold rifle plates. Don't have that carrier anymore, and don't have access to what I had back then.

Just need some heavy duty black nylon or whatever it takes to take to my seamstress.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
I wore a II-A Safariland for quite a while. Later changed to a III-A, not because I believed the II-A to be inadequate, but because the Dept. started issuing it. For your purpose, you might consider a II-A. IMHO, the III-A is a bit thick/heavy/bulky for wear under casual clothing. Hot in Summer too. Years ago, I did some testing with the II-A. I shot is with several calibers of conventional pistol and revolver ammunition. Nothing penetrated. I didn't try 7.62X25 and this was before the FN 5.7X28. The results might be different with those two rounds, but I would still feel comfortable wearing II-A as opposed to some of the heavier, thicker and bulkier SBA. I did sometimes wear SBA with the hard trauma plate, etc. Were I wearing SBA in plain cloths, off duty though, I wouldn't be wearing anything but regular II-A. Within my humble experience, if the armor is not comfortable and/or it is too hot, like a summer in the desert Southwest, many people won't wear it unless ordered to....ymmv

NRA Life

Posts: 1563 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Report This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I have an additional question while we are are on the subject.

Does anyone know where I can get some of the black ripstop nylon that is used to make vest carriers? When I was on patrol the last time, I had a vest altered to hold rifle plates. Don't have that carrier anymore, and don't have access to what I had back then.

Just need some heavy duty black nylon or whatever it takes to take to my seamstress.

1000 denier cordura?

http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabr...Cordura-Nylon-Fabric

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Report This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I decided to get some AR500 steel plate armor

I like that. Not a bad price either.

Funny. Just yesterday I mentioned to my sister (Sheriff's deputy) to wear her body armor always and that I was thinking of buying a plate carrier.

Chongo's suggested Bulletproofme who offer AR680, so they claim they can go lighter, price is similar. I haven't tried them but it sounds appealing, but I would want to research that the extra hardness does not also make it too brittle.
http://bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Steel.html

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Report This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
I cant comment on suggestions for vests, but if you are not opposed to a hard plate carrier and it's weight, I can recommend the Mayflower low profile plate carrier. It is similar to the carrier posted by member Sweden.

It is very minimalist in design, without tons of MOLLE webbing, or even shoulder pads, but is designed to allow one to clip in magazine pouches. The clips can be removed and re-inserted easily.

Mine is set up with coated, curved AR500 plates. I decided on steel based on the ability of steel to take more than one impact without being compromised. From reading about hard armor, it seems ceramic is prone to fracture if hits are close proximity. If dropped accidentally, unless the fracture is obvious, the only way to find a crack is by x-ray.

If you want true 'mil-spec' hard plates, look for MIL-A 46100. AR500, Hardox and the like are 'abrasion resistant'. MIL-A is designed to defeat high velocity impact.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Report This Post