SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    This is specially for 0 - 0...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

This is specially for 0 - 0... Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
https://www.express.co.uk/news...ley-geoffrey-cardozo

A British Army officer and the Argentine war dead - NOT forgotten after all.

Very moving stuff.

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tac, that was a good story to read.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Thanks tac. Well done, Geoffrey Cardozo.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much tac for posting this.

Could have been me in one of those foxholes. I received my draft papers late dec. 1981 to make myself available in jan. for the medical exam. Was already a bit old and studying in Brussels...

Surely we can't thank the british officer enough for his devotion and generosity.

National news brought the subject up many months ago but only to say (as far as I remember) that it was work done by the forensics/ anthropology lab of one of our national universities. No mention of Roger Waters intervention. Interesting fact for Waters and Pink Floyd fans is that a military historian is said to have reached Roger to tell him where he suspected the musician's father had fell during WWII. There's the connection with our 1982 unpleasant dissagreement.

I'm very fond of PF The Final Cut album, it tells the story of our war. I suspect the war that once divided our countries made you and me friends. Smile

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 0-0:
Thank you very much tac for posting this.

Could have been me in one of those foxholes. I received my draft papers late dec. 1981 to make myself available in jan. for the medical exam. Was already a bit old and studying in Brussels...

Surely we can't thank the british officer enough for his devotion and generosity.

National news brought the subject up many months ago but only to say (as far as I remember) that it was work done by the forensics/ anthropology lab of one of our national universities. No mention of Roger Waters intervention. Interesting fact for Waters and Pink Floyd fans is that a military historian is said to have reached Roger to tell him where he suspected the musician's father had fell during WWII. There's the connection with our 1982 unpleasant dissagreement.

I'm very fond of PF The Final Cut album, it tells the story of our war. I suspect the war that once divided our countries made you and me friends. Smile

0-0

The British quarter of me fully agrees with you!

Take care down there.

Best

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
quote:
“My general said, ‘Leave the discipline to somebody else and take on this body business. It’s very important and we’ve got to get it right.’”

Now, there a true Soldier!

Great story, Tac.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
That was moving. It involved politics of the Argentina government not repatriating the bodies and it involved the respect of soldiers towards fellow soldiers even though they were the enemy.

Honor.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Hi Rey,

While not fond of any political party and quite disgusted by the way our draftees and later our veterans were and are treated to this day, let me point out that for argentinians, there's no reason to bring those bodies back. They fell on our soil.
Not being patriotic about it, just saying what any fellow countryman will tell you.

IMO, we had no business being there and we ALL went for the wrong reasons. But that is a looooong and endless debate. Cool

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
The story made me think of this poem from WWI

The Soldier
by
Robert Brooke (1914)

IF I should die, think only this of me;
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England. There shall be
In that rich earth a richer dust concealed;
A dust whom England bore, shaped, made aware,
Gave, once, her flowers to love, her ways to roam,
A body of England's breathing English air,
Washed by the rivers, blest by suns of home.

And think, this heart, all evil shed away,
A pulse in the eternal mind, no less
Gives somewhere back the thoughts by England given;
Her sights and sounds; dreams happy as her day;
And laughter, learnt of friends; and gentleness,
In hearts at peace, under an English heaven.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Brothers in arms. Fine story, excellent outcome.

Thanks Tac.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post