SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idaho eclipse-alypse
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho eclipse-alypse Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
These are actual, serious social media posts:

"Most kids go back to school that day. Can it be done on the weekend?"

"The sun is so bright during this time of the day. Can we please do this during the evening hours instead?"

"Does anyone know if there's a rain date?"

"I work during the day, could you re-schedule it for the evening maybe around tenish?"

"I live on the other side of earth, does that make it a moonar eclipse for me?"

"Please reschedule. My cat's quinceañera is that day." (Quinceañera is the celebration of a girl's fifteenth birthday.)
Gives one a good impression (confirmation) of the poor quality of education these days. Such ignorance is simply abysmal. No one today should be that uninformed. No one should be that incapable of clear thinking. (No one that stupid should have survived infancy.)

flashguy

you guys really believe that those are real and sincere posts? really? cat's quinceanera? damn.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Actually, I do. There really are people out there who are that uneducated.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crom:
Well, I am in Utah and planning to go.
I was hoping to camp in an obscure mountain location to avoid any crowds. I am from Idaho, so I am comfortable poking around the wilderness areas.

We'll see!
Be careful! Some of that 2-legged wildlife could be dangerous.

flashguy

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
....it's hard to believe at least some of those posts are not intended as a bit of sarcastic humor...

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
....it's hard to believe at least some of those posts are not intended as a bit of sarcastic humor...

I hope you're right. The alterative would be very scary and a bad omen for our future. Frown

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
I really think/hope this turns out to be another Y2K scenario....

Yeah, I'm thinking this is someone's worst-case-scenario. I doubt we'll see this. Bad traffic, sure. Catastrophe?

I'd love to see the totality, but it is just too far from Houston for me to be willing to do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RaiseHal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vinnybass:
All this to see an eclipse!!!??? Big deal, it gets dark every night.

It is a big deal, it doesn't get dark every DAY.

It's a shame that youth is wasted on the young --- Mark Twain

Anyone who is not a liberal by age 20 has no heart; anyone who is not a conservative by age 40 has no brain---Winston Churchill

Posts: 4650 | Location: The Free State of Georgia | Registered: August 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I would love to see the 100% but not feasible. We will have to settle for 65% or so and still see something awesome, and catch a tv program and look at some pictures online after the fact.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NASA Eclipse 2017 Live - Streaming Video of August 21 Total Solar Eclipse

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We happened to visiting my wife's brother and SIL in Rigby Idaho yesterday. That little farming community is in the 100% zone.

Someone asked me what time the big event was scheduled. I responded "Around 11:30.”

Yep, you guessed it.....they asked "Will that be during the day or during the night?"

Here's your sign

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
Bastards are already starting to gouge on the price of gas in SE Idaho.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SapperSteel:

8 months ago I was checking out the cabin rates at one of my old favorite sites in Stanley Basin.
What typically was renting for under $300/night for primo set up, was going then for $1900 "for 3 nights".........and it went up from that as spaces dwindled. The last time I checked in early March, "$2700" for 3 nights, only 2 units left......

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Law of Supply and Demand--Capitalism at its finest.

flashguy

Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:

flashguy

Exactly. I have no issue with it.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
I heard of a farmer in Madras Oregon who sold 3000 camping spots for 1000 each.

Wow, 3 million dollars for no cost to him except the cost of cleaning up the mess they'll leave behind. That's impressive if true.

Jim

Hopefully he's planned ahead for trash cans, shitters, laying out of marked driving paths, maybe liability insurance, security, etc. You could just throw open the gate and let whatever happens happen, but I would think a lot of planning and arrangement would be wise.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

flashguy

Exactly. I have no issue with it.

I do.

The "Fuck these tourists, take 'em for every cent they have!" mentality does nothing to promote long-term success for Idaho's tourism business. On top of that, the locals [that's me!] are getting fucked by the morons who are dialing up the per-gallon cost of gasoline to over $3.

You bet your ass I'm going to remember which stations were gouging. They'll never see another cent from me, the greedy bastards.

That's not "Capitalism at its finest", not by a long shot. That's just plain bad business.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:

I bought gas in Roberts yesterday and paid through the nose for the privilege of buying gasoline at ground zero a week before the eclipse

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
You could just throw open the gate and let whatever happens happen, but I would think a lot of planning and arrangement would be wise.

if he uses the SFO and Chicago management style, just regard them all as 'indigents' that don't need no steeking laws 'n order 'n toilets etc....

**************~~~~~~~~~~
~SIGforum advisor~

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
On top of that, the locals [that's me!] are getting fucked by the morons who are dialing up the per-gallon cost of gasoline to over $3.

Wait a minute, are saying your gas in UNDER $3 per gallon? Eek

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post