SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Idaho eclipse-alypse
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho eclipse-alypse Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Anyone from Utah thinking of heading up to Idaho to view the Eclipse? Consider this:

• IDOT is expecting about 300,000 to 500,000 people to try and drive south towards Utah as soon as the eclipse is over (some Utahns and others heading to the airport to fly back to their homes).

• There are estimates that gas stations in the region will run out of gas and the tankers won’t be able to get through to fill their tanks back up for possibly days. Locals are being encouraged to make sure their cars are topped off before Friday and to avoid all unnecessary driving.

• People will idle their cars in traffic to keep the air conditioning going and then they will run out of gas, making the traffic jam worse.

• Others will have full bladders and need to tend to nature’s call. There are porta potties all along the freeway, but eventually, they will need servicing. The pump truck will not be able to make it through the traffic, so the porta potties will become unusable. You may want to bring along a “Plan B” method of addressing this situation.

• Restaurants are ordering up to 10 times the amount of food they normally keep on hand, but some feel that may not be enough to handle the hungry crowds, so you may not be able to get a Big Mac on your southbound drive. Make sure you have several days worth of food in your vehicle in case you have an unexpected camping trip on the way home.

• Locals are being encouraged to purchase several week’s worth of food this week as grocery stores may be picked clean by the out-of-state visitors.

• Cell phone providers are bringing in portable towers to cope with the additional cell phones in the area, but it is anticipated that the networks will be totally saturated and cell phones will become almost unusable; especially data. Make sure you have physical maps in case your phone can’t reach the Internet.

• ATM machines only hold so much money. Make sure you bring along plenty of cash for your purchases. Don’t count on your card working as retailers are expecting the card network will be overwhelmed and go down.

Link

Link

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
    ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ
  •  
    Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    is circumspective
    Picture of vinnybass
    posted Hide Post
    All this to see an eclipse!!!??? Big deal, it gets dark every night.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Bookers Bourbon
    and a good cigar
    Picture of Johnny 3eagles
    posted Hide Post
    Fuggin idjits.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
    Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
    You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of smlsig
    posted Hide Post
    I really think/hope this turns out to be another Y2K scenario....

------------------
    Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6309 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of P250UA5
    posted Hide Post
    One of the VPs in my office took time off & is taking his wife & daughter. Otherwise, he's posted the timeframe for Houston, which is expected to get about 6-% of it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Crusty old
    curmudgeon
    Picture of Jimbo54
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by smlsig:

This what I'm thinking as well. I was also thinking about driving the 200+ miles south to hit the totality path. No way now after all of the doom and gloom scenarios. We're getting 91% here and that will be fine.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I'm in the path of totality. I took the day off work because, at the time, the kids still had school. It's been cancelled now, but I'm still staying home. I deal enough with the wackos during a full moon. No way do I want to deal with all that for an eclipse.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Only the strong survive
    Picture of 41
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by vinnybass:
    All this to see an eclipse!!!??? Big deal, it gets dark every night.

Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Jimbo54:
    quote:
    Originally posted by smlsig:

This what I'm thinking as well. I was also thinking about driving the 200+ miles south to hit the totality path. No way now after all of the doom and gloom scenarios. We're getting 91% here and that will be fine.

Jim

I'm staying put as well.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    hello darkness
    my old friend
    Picture of gw3971
    posted Hide Post
    I could care less about the eclipse. I'm going fishing in Heber during the eclipse. I'm betting the fish don't care either...

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drug Dealer
    Picture of Jim Shugart
    posted Hide Post
    I'm good with about 86% here. The neighbors from next door and the GF are coming over for a simple cookout. If the weather doesn't cooperate, we can always go inside wearing our eclipse glasses and play Pin-the-Tail-on-the-Donkey or sumptin'.

This eclipse thing is turning into a real goatfuck.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Plowing straight ahead come what may
    Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
    posted Hide Post
    I didn't make the drive up to Oak Ride Tennessee Saturday for the Cowboy Action shoot...but apparently there are flashing signs warning about "no parking during the eclipse" on I-75/I-40...

This is the post on our CAS website Big Grin...

http://ocoeerangers.com/forums/index.php?topic=7651.0

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
    Making the best of what ever comes our way
    Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
    Plowing straight ahead come what may
    And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
    Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    Bad news. The eclipse was cancelled in Wyoming.

Sorry

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by TMats:

Sorry

Well, would that be bad news or good news?.............

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    sick puppy
    posted Hide Post
    Having just driven from Boise to SLC yesterday, both Idaho and Utah's DOT needs to figure their road construction shit out. Signs for road work where there wasnt any (presumably because it was Sunday) and then construction barrels in spots with no signage.

Going up we had Slow-downs for work that ended up being nothing, UHP had a wreck they were clearing that closed a lane completely and it was more efficiently signed and managed than some of the DOT bridge work and lane refinishes.

In a major traffic weekend, its gonna be a shitshow.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sgalczyn
    posted Hide Post
    Sucks to be them if its a cloudy day.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by PCWyoming:
    quote:

Sorry

PC

Depends on who you talk to, doesn't it, Paul Wink

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    quote:
    Originally posted by PCWyoming:
    quote:

Sorry

PC

Depends on who you talk to, doesn't it, Paul Wink

I have heard estimates from 3 people to 300,000 people to "visit" Wyoming for the 2.5 minutes of totality. I will be indoors; but prepared for the worst.

PC

Posts: 1332 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    90% here from my back deck. Not going anywhere.

I just made the drive up to bear Lake today along the same route that a lot of people will be driving to Jackson Hole to see the eclipse, and I can tell you now...those people are screwed. Who I really feel sorry for are the poor bastards who booked trips to Yellowstone or the Tetons not realizing there was an eclipse in their midst.

That road just won't be able to handle that volume of people.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Quit staring at my wife's Butt
    Picture of XLT
    posted Hide Post
    I heard of a farmer in Madras Oregon who sold 3000 camping spots for 1000 each.

Posts: 5574 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post