SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Straw Buyer Bought Gun that Killed Ohio Officers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Straw Buyer Bought Gun that Killed Ohio Officers Login/Join 
Picture of HayesGreener
posted
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX/WTTE) —
A northeast Ohio man was federally charged for buying the gun used to kill two Westerville Police officers.
The Department of Justice, DOJ, said Gerald A. Lawson III, 30, of Warrensville Heights was charged by criminal complaint for allegedly purchasing for Quentin L. Smith. The convicted felon was accused of shooting and killing two Westerville Police Officers on February 10.
Federal agents said Gerald Lawson bought a Glock, manufactured model 27 generation 4, .40 caliber semi-automatic gun last May.

"Lawson was charged with aiding and abetting the possession of a firearm by a prohibited person," said the DOJ. "He was arrested (Monday) by federal agents and is scheduled to appear before U.S. Magistrate (Monday afternoon)."

The DOJ said Smith was prohibited from possessing a firearm as a convicted felon. A witness told investigators Smith provided Lawson money for the firearm as well as an extra $100.
Lawson allegedly knew Smith had been convicted of a felony. Investigators said Lawson and Smith have a long history of friendship.
"A review of Lawson’s social media account after the incident on February 10 revealed a post by Lawson displaying three photographs of both of the men together," said the DOJ in a release. "A comment by Lawson associated with the post also referenced the long-standing friendship between the two."
DOJ said a firearm trace indicated the Glock firearm was purchased by Lawson in Broadview Heights, Ohio. The shop manager of Stonewall Range and Uniforms said federal agents seized records of the gun sold at their shop. The manager said Lawson passed a background check instantly and left the store with the gun the same day.
Lawson now faces up to 10 years in prison.
The manager of Stonewall Range and Uniforms said they are saddened as to what resulted with the gun but they cannot control what happens with the weapon once it leaves their doors. She said the shop is cooperating in the federal investigation and agents with ATF asked them not to comment on the investigation.

http://abc6onyourside.com/news...westerville-officers

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Ten years is not enough time for this slug,and you can bet your ass he will get less.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Same set of circumstances a few years ago (except one officer killed) and the buyer got probation. Sorry if I don’t have much hope for a meaningful penalty.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11444 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The straw purchaser should be executed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He enabled the killing to take place and bears full responsibility.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Same set of circumstances a few years ago (except one officer killed) and the buyer got probation. Sorry if I don’t have much hope for a meaningful penalty.

Yep, the girlfriend admitted that she knew he was a felon and bought the gun for him and he killed a police officer with it. She was given probation and community service.
http://www.ketv.com/article/co...ks-on-day-2/17019084
OPD Chief ‘disappointed’ at sentence in illegal gun purchase

OMAHA, Neb. —
UPDATE: Omaha Police Chief Todd Schmaderer said he was "disappointed" that the woman who illegally purchased the gun used to kill Officer Kerrie Orozco received probation.

In a statement released Wednesday, Chief Schmaderer said the court missed an opportunity.

Here is the full text of the statement:

"I am disappointed in the court's decision to sentence Jalita Johnson to one year of probation for the illegal purchase of a firearm that was used to kill Officer Kerrie Orozco. Illegal straw purchases, like this one, is a well documented manner in which violent offenders obtain their firearms. Straw purchases are a link to the gun violence that has damaged our community over and over, and the court missed an opportunity to make a bold statement."

PREVIOUS COVERAGE:

The woman who supplied the gun that killed Omaha police officer Kerrie Orozco in May has been given probation, it was announced Tuesday.

[Video: Woman who supplied weapon that killed Officer Orozco given probation]

A judge sentenced Jalita Johnson to a year's probation, 180 days of home confinement and community service.

Federal prosecutors say Johnson in April bought a Glock semiautomatic gun, a 50-round drum magazine and ammunition from a pawnshop.

Johnson wrote on the purchase form that she was buying the gun for herself. She later admitted she was buying it on behalf of her boyfriend Marcus Wheeler, a convicted felon.

Police in Omaha say Wheeler killed Orozco on May 20 when he opened fire on officers trying to arrest him. Wheeler was killed when another officer returned fire.

"If you care about gun violence, reducing gun violence, in the city of Omaha, or any other place in this country, you have to address the issue of straw purchasing," Omaha Police Officer's Association Vice President Anthony Conner said.

Straw purchasing, or buying a gun under false pretenses, for a felon, is a federal crime. Court documents said Johnson committed that crime, and Johnson said she just got a slap on the wrist.

"She could have gotten 10 years and a $250,000 fine. But she got nothing, probation, community service," Conner said.

Police think Johnson should be held equally accountable

Conner said the ruling is disrespectful to Orozco's memory.

"The justice system is supposed to be there to protect us: police officers, citizens, and it failed today," Conner said. "The federal justice system failed today."

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is a federal crime, no ? Let’s hope the current administration shows its pro cop colors and throws the book at this puke. Yes he has just as much blood on his hands as the the triggerman. Terrible siutuation

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
A judge sentenced Jalita Johnson to a year's probation, 180 days of home confinement and community service.
Ridiculous. Can we at least assume she is now a convicted felon and thus will have to find someone else to purchase firearms for her in the future? Roll Eyes

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2057 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
This is a federal crime, no ?
It is, which why the article makes it clear he was charged in Federal court.
quote:
Let’s hope the current administration shows its pro cop colors and throws the book at this puke. Yes he has just as much blood on his hands as the the triggerman. Terrible siutuation
If by "current administration," you mean the President, Attorney General, and other US DOJ personnel, they are doing everything they can, which is investigating and prosecuting the case. Judges, not the "current administration" (as commonly used), decide sentences, and this case is LONG way from any possibility of a sentence.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Seems like such a direct accessory to the crime should be charged under felony murder charges as well.
The getaway driver in a robbery that results in a death would be.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
So a criminal committed a crime for a criminal which resulted in a crime. Electric chair time.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7057 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
The straw purchaser should be executed.

I disagree with this. If they are executed, they are soon forgotten. They also have little time to consider the error of their ways.

Much better would be a life sentence at very hard labor. If he is worked to death over five to ten years, that is okay, but he should have some serious time to consider the error of his ways and embrace the suck. In the end, he should be happy to finally be allowed to escape the earth. There could even be an advertising campaign on the foolishness of straw buying that periodically shows him being worked like a rented mule and advises viewers to make wiser choices.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Seems like such a direct accessory to the crime should be charged under felony murder charges as well.

Exactly.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:

Exactly.

If someone died while the straw purchase was taking place, then yeah, felony murder.

The gunman shooting down a cop at a later date is a separate crime.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
quote:
quote:

Exactly.

If someone died while the straw purchase was taking place, then yeah, felony murder.

The gunman shooting down a cop at a later date is a separate crime.

Seems to me if someone makes a straw purchase of a handgun, for and in behalf of a known felon, and that handgun is later used to commit murder by that felon, the purchaser is an accessory to murder (at least from a logical point of view, maybe not the details of the court).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Seems to me if someone makes a straw purchase of a handgun, for and in behalf of a known felon, and that handgun is later used to commit murder by that felon, the purchaser is an accessory to murder (at least from a logical point of view, maybe not the details of the court).

I get the anger and disgust, but there's really no connection between someone making a straw purchase and a murder.

If the two got together and planned out the murder, and one guy's contribution was to be the straw buyer...then sure, that seems like the both of them were murderous assholes.

If the two got together, and one guy says to the other, buy me a gun, I'm gonna go murder a man...then sure, the straw buyer seems to be an accessory to a murder. He didn't do it, he didn't plan it, but he went along with it and helped.

If the two got together, and one guy says buys a gun for the other who can't buy it himself, with no other plans for murderin'...then it's simply a guy who made a straw purchase. There's a law for that, and a crime was committed--but you don't need to go stringin' people up for the crimes of others, otherwise you'd get people going to jail for selling cars to assholes who can't drive.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
you don't need to go stringin' people up for the crimes of others, otherwise you'd get people going to jail for selling cars to assholes who can't drive.

I'm glad you were able to articulate what I was thinking. Smile

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:....I get the anger and disgust, but there's really no connection between someone making a straw purchase and a murder.

If the two got together and planned out the murder, and one guy's contribution was to be the straw buyer...then sure, that seems like the both of them were murderous assholes.

If the two got together, and one guy says to the other, buy me a gun, I'm gonna go murder a man...then sure, the straw buyer seems to be an accessory to a murder. He didn't do it, he didn't plan it, but he went along with it and helped.

If the two got together, and one guy says buys a gun for the other who can't buy it himself, with no other plans for murderin'...then it's simply a guy who made a straw purchase. There's a law for that, and a crime was committed--but you don't need to go stringin' people up for the crimes of others, otherwise you'd get people going to jail for selling cars to assholes who can't drive.

Rhetorical question. Would you be so understanding if your loved one was the victim?

If I knowingly and willingly help someone break the law, and my actions allow that person to commit murder, I would think my culpability should be more than a slap on the wrist? (and are we sure the straw purchaser was totally oblivious to the likely use?)

What if I sell a car to a person who I know is drunk, and who can't legally own/drive a car, and that person drives out of my parking lot in the car I just sold, causes an accident, and kills someone. Is that just an "oopsie".

I noted that my view may not match existing law. But I recall a book, I believe taking a quote from Dickens, "the law is an ass".

Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I get the anger and disgust, but there's really no connection between someone making a straw purchase and a murder.

Selling a car, even to an asshole, is not a crime, much less a felony.

Selling a gun to a felon, knowingly, is a crime.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Ten years is not enough time for this slug,and you can bet your ass he will get less.

He will do a little less. The feds have taken many of my robbery cases(Hobbes act) over the years and their sentencing generally requires the bad guy serve 85% of his sentence as a minimum. I can't recall a single case where I was surprised by the sudden release of a bad guy from club fed.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post