SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    7.1 Mag quake NE of Bakersfield at 8:19PM, PDT
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.1 Mag quake NE of Bakersfield at 8:19PM, PDT Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
It rattled my windows here in San Diego at 8:21pm PDT.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
So in basically 24 hours California has had its two largest quakes in the last 20 years

Methinks that doesn’t bode well..

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
I'm at work and the building is on rollers, making me dizzy as hell. The last 2 felt like rolling waves here in Ventura County. Ridgecrest was already pretty messed up yesterday, I imagine things just got a lot worse. They had the 6.4, then a couple 4.6 yesterday, then today a 5.4 and 7.1.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that more quakes are a better sign that there won't be a giant one? As in the energy is being released in spurts right now as opposed to break your wang off?

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3600 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
I read somewhere that more quakes are a better sign that there won't be a giant one? As in the energy is being released in spurts right now as opposed to break your wang off?

Yes, that's a good thought. It could go a couple ways. Maybe yesterday's 6.4 with aftershocks were pre-shocks to the main event today at 7.1. I'm not sure how much damage/casualties today (news is still sparse, and the USGS site seems to be overloaded), but if minimal then this could be a beneficial decompressing. But it's also entirely possible that they're all preludes to an even bigger event.

Today's shaker is estimated at 6.9-7.1. For reference, the 1989 Loma Prieta event was 6.9.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSauerP226:
I'm at work and the building is on rollers, making me dizzy as hell. The last 2 felt like rolling waves here in Ventura County. Ridgecrest was already pretty messed up yesterday, I imagine things just got a lot worse. They had the 6.4, then a couple 4.6 yesterday, then today a 5.4 and 7.1.

I was just reading something from the USGS on that topic. Turns out earthquakes can provoke others, and they dont “release pressure”. Weve been in a period of low quake activity for decades and we may be seeing a probable increase in cyclical activity.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3446 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
It's not just about the magnitude, it's the duration of the event. A quake that is low on the Richter scale can do a lot of damage if it persists for a longer period.

Posts: 2660 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
Felt some swaying here in Vegas!

Posts: 618 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
So in basically 24 hours California has had its two largest quakes in the last 20 years

Methinks that doesn’t bode well..

Hopefully Dwayne Johnson is in the vicinity.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Yesterday immediately after the 6.4, there became a 1-in-20 chance of a larger main shock occurring in the next couple days. This did in fact occur. So the same numbers apply today: there is currently a 1-in-20 chance that an even larger quake will hit in the next couple days.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Hopefully Dwayne Johnson is in the vicinity.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
I called my friend who lives in Helendale witch is near Victorville. He said all ok just a couple sharp jolts felt there.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
We have family in Ridgecrest, so far all are ok, just damage.

They have had around 1700 quakes in the last few days.

My wife’s cousin was checking out the new cracks and damage out at yesterday’s epicenter when the 7.1 hit. He said it was an interesting experience. His wife and kids said a little poo came out. Big Grin

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
Definitely Global Warming. Wink

Hope these quakes settle down for you guys on the Left coast and everyone makes it through ok.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anything above 6 will get your attention right quick, 7 and above you'll really start moving, sometimes crazy violently depending on the ground. Check all pipes, lines and possible window warping.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was no earthquake.

Chuck Norris coughed.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
A 7.1 quake in Bakersfield could probably cause several million dollars in improvements.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
A 7.1 quake in Bakersfield could probably cause several million dollars in improvements.

Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My in laws live about 40 min from Bakersfield, all ok so far

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15318 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I'm about 320 miles north of there and I felt it last night as I was laying with my kids getting them to sleep. Nobody else in the house felt it but I sat up and thought "did I just feel that?" and then got a message from a family member if I felt anything.

Haven't felt one since Loma Prieta, but that was a lot closer to home

Posts: 6364 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post