SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Red dot sight for dry fire practice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red dot sight for dry fire practice Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’m a fan of dry fire practice. I have a red dot sight for my Beretta 87T. At the range I prefer iron sights, but I sometimes use the red dot for dry fire – it better reveals improper trigger control because it’s so easy to see the dot twitch at the break if I’m doing something wrong.

For example: I’ve found that there’s less of a twitch if I press slightly to the left as I press the trigger back (I’m right-handed). Meaning, I think, that what I formerly thought was a straight-back press was not.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Yep,a competition shooters grip (right handed) will be about 60% or more grip with the offhand and applying pressure to the left with the thumb. My grip is applied this way, the thumb pressing against a tab of skate board tape on the frame(M&P 9L Core)where my thumb would rest. Open class and Limited guns of the 1911 style(STI etc) often have a thumb rest that also prevents the slide being touched by a high thumb position.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
the red dot for dry fire – it better reveals improper trigger control because it’s so easy to see the dot twitch at the break if I’m doing something wrong.

agree!!!
Shows my twitches & glitches in a way I can make suitable timely correction during that very practice session.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I agree, it really magnifies what you do.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
If the red dot helps, try a CT Lasergrip at 20 feet.

Each time you get to feeling smug, add another ten feet. Wink

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
For my stated purpose (detecting faults in my trigger pull technique), I think a red dot is better than a laser. With a red dot, I can (and must) hold the pistol just like I hold it when I use iron sights.

My specific goal is to improve my trigger pull technique to minimize any twitch when the trigger breaks.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post