SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Most Wonderful Time Of The Year. Are You Kidding Me?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Wonderful Time Of The Year. Are You Kidding Me? Login/Join 
posted
The wifey decides that we're putting up our Christmas house lights today. OK, cool, I enjoy spending time with her, and the spending time was fun. We were a really good team. The part that wasn't fun was untangling the GD, MFing, CSing balls that she put the lights in when she took them down last year when I wasn't in town. I didn't say a word. It was maddening.

Oh, going to the store for burnt out bulbs, missing or broken hardware, etc. was a real treat. Every asshole on the planet was invading Home Depot today. Why do people need to take their dogs shopping? A dog growled at me today. She was probably just as frustrated as meBig Grin I was picking up a strand of lights and this "sweet old" lady grabs the box out of my hands and puts it in her cart. (Would it be cool to cold cock the old battle axe? Maybe just throw her to the ground and shove the lights up her ass?) What planet do these assholes come from?

Finally it got done. The wifey and I were sitting down having a cocktail and admiring our work when I brought up the subject that we weren't going to do this after the kids left home. She said you're right, but YOU didn't factor the grand kids into that equationBig Grin Argghhhhhhh. Looks like this fun isn't going to end anytime soonFrown

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
The wifey decides that we're putting up our Christmas house lights today. OK, cool, I enjoy spending time with her, and the spending time was fun. We were a really good team. The part that wasn't fun was untangling the GD, MFing, CSing balls that she put the lights in when she took them down last year when I wasn't in town. I didn't say a word. It was maddening.

Oh, going to the store for burnt out bulbs, missing or broken hardware, etc. was a real treat. Every asshole on the planet was invading Home Depot today. Why do people need to take their dogs shopping? A dog growled at me today. She was probably just as frustrated as meBig Grin I was picking up a strand of lights and this "sweet old" lady grabs the box out of my hands and puts it in her cart. (Would it be cool to cold cock the old battle axe? Maybe just throw her to the ground and shove the lights up her ass?) What planet do these assholes come from?

Finally it got done. The wifey and I were sitting down having a cocktail and admiring our work when I brought up the subject that we weren't going to do this after the kids left home. She said you're right, but YOU didn't factor the grand kids into that equationBig Grin Argghhhhhhh. Looks like this fun isn't going to end anytime soonFrown

I was feeling brave this morning so when the two year old woke up kinda early I just swooped him up we ran out to Lowes and WalMart. I wanted some cheap AA batteries and Lowes and had no particular reason to go to Walmart.

They were both no busier than any normal Saturday or Sunday morning. No crowds. No yelling. No problem.

I was almost disappointed.

Posts: 6363 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had to make an "emergency" trip to Walmart last night just about 7PM. The staff was over-prepared for the crowd, which was not any worse than our usual shopping trip of Thursday afternoon. Other than more Illegal Aliens, though, so the aggravation level was higher.

Got what I needed and got out.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9153 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need to hit thumper's and newtosig's stores. Had I had a brain I would have checked this stuff out a month ago and taken care of it.

I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I was out the other day and it looked to me like the population of the earth had suddenly increased by about 30-35%.

There were NO open parking spaces at the grocery super store.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My wife and I usually just go straight for the cocktails.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30403 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting a little bit ahead of the story here time-wise, but had been called-out in the middle of the night few years back.........Christmas Eve.

Was getting close to the house on the return trip, around 3:00 a.m., curiosity got the best of me. Stopped at the local WalMart to see what it looked like.

World War III would've been kinder to that place, and the amount of people shopping still was nuts.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Process I developed from many years of practice.
  • When Christmas is over, stop by the local Home Depot and buy several boxes of deeply discounted Christmas lights. Usually a minimum of 50% off retail price.
  • Following year, sort through all light strings and any with broken bulbs or unidentifiable problems go immediately into the garbage and are replaced with the previous years post-Christmas booty.
My sanity and blood pressure are not worth screwing around with 'strings of buzzkill'.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
My sanity and blood pressure are not worth screwing around with 'strings of buzzkill'.

I think I'm going to pick up what you're layin' down right there. What an excellent way to describe my situation todayBig Grin

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
My wife and I usually just go straight for the cocktails.

Smile

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
When I worked at Lowes, people would bring their artificial trees back after Christmas for a refund. Some even had the tinsel still on the tree. Big Grin So we would have to mark them down to some ridiculous price to get rid of them.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post