SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you live in Minnesota, and you plan to fly in 2018...
Page 1 2 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
If you live in Minnesota, and you plan to fly in 2018... Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
You might want to update your passport. This is no joke or internet scam - I've already seen informational signs posted at assorted airports.

In a nutshell, Minnesota DL's are not compliant with newer federal requirements (which I actually applauded MN for standing tall on a few years ago), but now that the state wants to get this signed off, the freeking democrats are trying to tie an immigration related tag to the bill.

Congrats, asshats. What makes me laugh even more, is that the Star Tribune, the most liberal paper in the midwest, actually wrote an op/ed going after the Dems for this.

http://www.startribune.com/sto...minnesota/415367134/

Today the senate, both Dems and Republicans said "no" because of privacy concerns.

http://www.startribune.com/sen...-licenses/415495844/

An effort to put Minnesota in compliance with federal driver’s license standards — known as Real ID — has stalled out in the state Senate.

All DFL members of the Senate, along with five Republicans, voted against the Real ID bill on Monday. The 29-38 vote followed a debate in which lawmakers from both sides of the aisle accused the other party of playing politics with a proposal that has pressing, practical implications for many Minnesotans.

Lawmakers are facing a January 2018 deadline on a federal law that requires people going through airport security or visiting military facilities to show an ID that meets upgraded federal security standards. Other states have already acted to enhance their state driver’s licensing system, but Minnesota has not. Without a similar change here, Minnesotans will need to use a passport or a special enhanced driver’s license for those purposes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
That is some horrible reporting. As someone who has followed this a little, those two articles do very little if anything to clear up the issue as far as what is actually being presented, who supports what and for what reason.

The only think clear is that Minnesota does not have "real ID."

Beyond that it's just confusing doublespeak and gibberish.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Without a similar change here, Minnesotans will need to use a passport or a special enhanced driver’s license for those purposes.

So, there is already a license that meets the criteria, it's just not normally issued? I assume that the normal license is for illegals? What a clusterfuck. Feds have already given what, 2-3 years extension for ya'll to figure this out?

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Report This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Similar situation in Arizona. At the time our former governor Napolitano made a big stink about standing up to the federal government and refusing to comply with an unfunded mandate. Then she became head of homeland security and enforced what she formerly protested.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11765 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I think MO and IL may be in the same boat, and it also affects getting a visitor pass for military installations.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I think MO and IL may be in the same boat, and it also affects getting a visitor pass for military installations.

Definitely MO, not in compliance.

Posts: 1485 | Location: Kansas City  | Registered: June 06, 2010Report This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
Current status of all states at this link.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id-and-you-rumor-control

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Report This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
I read something about this last year. Roughly a third of the States are either non-compliant with the Federal standards or have a temporary exemption (i.e. plans to get there just not implemented). Of course the temporary status could be revoked at any time if the Feds feel the State is not moving on it's goal.

Some have thought I'm bonkers for saying the national reciprocity for carry license is a bad idea. Things like this just make me feel I'm right. Let the Feds get involved, then if your State's licensing is not up to their standards, then they'll find a way to make it hurt. Sorry for the thread drift.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Report This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What is Real ID? I understand those types of ID will be needed at one point but what standard make a state Real ID compliant?

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
... similar here in WA state.

One has these choices, if you want to fly and have the approved ID format:

- apply for the new enhanced DL (US citizens only)
- apply for the passport card
- apply for a passport

... of course, the fees here in WA state also go towards the WA state transportation package boondoggle.

mmmpphhh ....

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Report This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Need to implement the Mandatory Authoritative Recognition Key system at birth.

For the chirrens.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43882 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Maine is the same way. The funny thing is, the Maine ID card is REALID compliant, but the state Dem's (of ALL people, go figure) voted to not share the database federally, as a defense of Government overreach.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
What is Real ID?
From the Dept of Homeland Security website:

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission’s recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver’s licenses and identification cards and prohibits Federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. States have made considerable progress in meeting this key recommendation of the 9/11 Commission and every state has a more secure driver’s license today than before the passage of the Act.

Edit: I don't see the actual standards specified.

Edit 2: The specifics are described on Wikipedia and other places.
They are WAY too long to post here.

Posts: 4818 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Report This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Damn. I was hoping they'd have that figured out before my license expires in October this year.

quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
quote:
Without a similar change here, Minnesotans will need to use a passport or a special enhanced driver’s license for those purposes.

So, there is already a license that meets the criteria, it's just not normally issued? I assume that the normal license is for illegals? What a clusterfuck. Feds have already given what, 2-3 years extension for ya'll to figure this out?

The enhanced MN driver’s license are a little more money (additional $15 I think), only available from 14 locations in the state, require additional documentation and take 4 to 6 weeks to process.

My only issue with the above is none of the locations are really near me. In the past I've been able to run over to the local place during lunch (local place is quite expedient compared to the others). Now I'll have to take time off from work to get it done.

Posts: 1801 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
The enhanced MN driver’s license are a little more money (additional $15 I think), only available from 14 locations in the state, require additional documentation and take 4 to 6 weeks to process.

Well, mine expires in September anyway. Might as well make a point of getting it done this summer and beating the literal Christmas rush.

Have you seen a list of where the 14 locations are? I'm in Minneapolis so there has to be one pretty close to me.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I got the chip implanted so I'm good.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12933 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eponym:

Passed by Congress in 2005...

Note that was 12 years ago. The non-compliant states have few excuses for not getting with the program. I'm pretty sure they have gotten extensions, but those are ending.

Here's a link explaining how people with DLs from MO, WA, and MN can access the Rock Island Arsenal. I'm sure other bases have similar procedures.

https://www.usagria.army.mil/A...Requests/RealID.aspx

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Report This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
In Utah, a RealID compliant state, the only thing I had to do to get my license renewed was show up with my birth certificate and a utility bill showing my current address. That was it. The states that do not want to comply seem to be those that want to issue DL's to illegal aliens.

In a modern age where a state issued driver's license is the de facto ID for everything, it seems prudent to have the ID verified as being issued to the correct person. If a person objects to this as a Federal intrusion into a State's arena, then just get a passport. Simple.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Report This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
In Utah, a RealID compliant state, the only thing I had to do to get my license renewed was show up with my birth certificate and a utility bill showing my current address. That was it. The states that do not want to comply seem to be those that want to issue DL's to illegal aliens..

In a modern age where a state issued driver's license is the de facto ID for everything, it seems prudent to have the ID verified as being issued to the correct person. If a person objects to this as a Federal intrusion into a State's arena, then just get a passport. Simple.

(Bolded emphasis was mine)

Like I said before in this thread, Maine's ID is REALID compatible. But part of the REAL ID act was a federal database that Maine would not link to. This has nothing to do with verifying citizenship, but a federal database that can feasibly track movement through the states.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Report This Post
Hot Fuzz
Picture of Turbo216
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, mine expires in September anyway. Might as well make a point of getting it done this summer and beating the literal Christmas rush.

Have you seen a list of where the 14 locations are? I'm in Minneapolis so there has to be one pretty close to me.

Here's the list:
Anoka - 530 West Main Street
Arden Hills (North Metro) - County Road I & 35W
Austin - 430 10th Street NE
Bemidji - 111 2nd Street, Union Square
Detroit Lakes - 1000 Highway 10 W
Duluth - 4602 Grand Avenue
Eagan (South Metro) - 2070 Cliff Road
Hastings - 1355 S Frontage Rd., Ste. 150
Mankato - 2161 Bassett Drive
Plymouth (West Metro) - 2455 Fernbrook Lane
Rochester - 1633 North Broadway
St. Paul - 445 Minnesota Street
St. Cloud - 3333 West Division Street, Midtown Square
Virginia - 101 Hoover Road

I drove to Virginia and got mine 2 years ago. No line, no wait. 5 minutes and I was done.

Hater of fun since 2001!

Posts: 587 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: January 11, 2011Report This Post