SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Wife Gave Me an Apple Watch for My Birthday
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wife Gave Me an Apple Watch for My Birthday Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I turned 45 yesterday and my wife gave me an Apple Watch Series 3 as a present. I have been on the fence about having one, but now that I have one I seriously love it. I got used to it quick and really don’t workout, but it has me wanting to get up and make my daily calorie goals.

I like the apps I have on it, but does anyone have any apps they think are great for the watch?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I'm a heart patient and I like Cardiogram. It monitors pulse and graphs it. Kinda cool. Just so you know, pressing and holding the crown button will call 911. Mine also called 911 when I was cardioverted (shocked back into rhythm) back before Christmas. Has the people in the ER tripping.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
I'm a heart patient and I like Cardiogram. It monitors pulse and graphs it. Kinda cool. Just so you know, pressing and holding the crown button will call 911. Mine also called 911 when I was cardioverted (shocked back into rhythm) back before Christmas. Has the people in the ER tripping.

I am downloading the Cardiogram App. Yeah I remember your story about your watch calling 911.....crazy.

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of qcsmitty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:

I am downloading the Cardiogram App. Yeah I remember your story about your watch calling 911.....crazy.

What?
I’m in.

Posts: 3778 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
One feature I really like is 'movie theater' mode. It buzzes when you get a call or text but does not light up or emit any sounds.

Very useful around dinner time or other times you might want to be able to discreetly see who's calling or texting, without the rest of the room knowing you are distracted.

<swipe up> from the bottom
Select the "theatre mask"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12322 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Btw..Happy Birthday and enjoy many more!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kids got me that one for Christmas. I too am a fan now. Great for running and answering calls/texts without going to find phone. Love the ping feature to find the phone as well.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
SN,

Happy Birthday!
Coincidentally, my wife gave me an Apple Watch Series 3 for my birthday in November. I will be checking this thread to learn about my watch as well. Thanks for starting the thread.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 501 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
I just learned that rapidly pushing the on/off button 5 times on your iphone will cause it to dial 911. Nice to carry it with your finger on the button when you are walking to your car etc.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just learned that rapidly pushing the on/off button 5 times on your iphone will cause it to dial 911. Nice to carry it with your finger on the button when you are walking to your car etc.

If you press and hold the side button on the Apple Watch, it will dial 911.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've had mine for nine months. There are still some things I miss in the Android world, but I wouldn't want to give up my Apple Watch for any of 'em.

I wish my credit union would get on the stick and get our CU credit cards on Apple Pay. They're beginning to annoy me.

Oh yeah... Happy Birthday, SN!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an android guy ... never really saw the need for a iphone. But my wife has the apple watch and it has me thinking about switching to an iphone. I just wish somebody made a decent android watch - the ones I've seen just don't compare to the Apple Watch.

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Not an app, but I love this case/band for it. I've had SupCase cases on my iPhones before and find them to be a very comparable alternative to Otterbox or LifeProof at a fraction of the cost.

I wear this case/band at work (police officer) and I really feel comfortable that the watch is protected.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
there is a video on the www , they tested 6 of those gizmo's, some where 30% accurate , some where %50 accurate and others were in between

you might want to check and see how your's did

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54622 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know the dangers of asking bendable a question but here goes. 30 or 50% accuracy of what? GPS mileage, timekeeping, what? I know that I run a couple courses that over the years I have used Garmin GPS and Mapmyrun to get accurate mileage and the Apple Watch is accurate to a couple hundredths of a mile every time I run. That is plenty good for my purposes.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
http://www.ipadforums.net/thre...er-car-crash.132829/

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3964 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Revolution37:
https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE...300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Not an app, but I love this case/band for it. I've had SupCase cases on my iPhones before and find them to be a very comparable alternative to Otterbox or LifeProof at a fraction of the cost.

I wear this case/band at work (police officer) and I really feel comfortable that the watch is protected.

I like this!

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I know the dangers of asking bendable a question but here goes. 30 or 50% accuracy of what?

I'm guessing the heart rate monitor.

That is what I've read, as well, relative to wrist-based HRMs during high levels of activity. At normal levels of activity they're usually pretty good. This assumes you have it firmly secured on your wrist. Wear it as loosely as I've seen some people do with wrist watches and all bets are off.

I know how my heart rate tends to go, and my Apple Watch I think does pretty well by me in that regard.

When I want accurate heart rate, like during cardio, I wear a Polar with a chest band.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
So far I think mine is pretty accurate for the heart rate even during workouts. I have a doctor appointment in the morning and I am going to see if it matches their blood pressure machine.

posted Hide Post
Have to agree with ensigmatic, it was most likely an issue withthe optical Heart Rate monitor. I have a Garmin 235, Fenix 3HR, and a Scosche Rhythm Plus with optical HR monitors and all 3 are only reasonably accurate if I am sitting at a desk, watching TV, or sleeping. If I do anything at all "active" like taking the dog for a walk and the Heart Rate indicated can be as much as 40-50 bpm off. REally had hopes for the Scosche because when the dog sees me putting on my chest monitor he sort of flips out because he knows it means he'll be going for a walk. Once he's had his exercise I will then go out on my own for a quicker pace.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post