Notify
Tools

iOS 11 Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
App Store
All-new App Store designed for discovering great apps and games everyday
New Today tab helps you discover new apps and games with stories, how-to guides, and more
New Games tab to find new games and see what’s most popular with top game charts
Dedicated Apps tab with top picks, dedicated app charts, and app categories
App pages include more video previews, Editors’ Choice badges, easier access to user ratings, and information about in-app purchases
Siri
New Siri voice is more natural and expressive
Translate English words and phrases into Chinese, French, German, Italian or Spanish (beta)
Siri suggestions based on your usage of Safari, News, Mail, and Messages
Works with notes apps to create to-do lists, notes and reminders
Works with banking apps for account transfer and balances
Works with apps that display QR codes
Hindi and Shanghainese dictation
Camera
Portrait mode now supports optical image stabilization, HDR and True Tone flash
Photos and videos will take up half the space with the new HEIF and HEVC image and video formats
Redesigned set of nine filters optimized for natural skin tones
Automatically identify and scan QR codes
Photos
Loop, Bounce, and Long Exposure Live Photo effects
Mute, trim, or choose a new key photo for Live Photos
Memory Movies automatically adapt content for portrait and landscape orientation
More than a dozen new memory types including pets, babies, weddings, and sporting events
People album is more accurate and stays up to date across devices with iCloud Photo Library
Animated GIF support
Maps
Indoor maps for major airports and shopping centers
Lane guidance and speed limit information with Turn-by-turn directions
One-handed zoom with double tap and swipe
Interact with Flyover by moving your device
Do Not Disturb while Driving
Automatically silences notifications while driving and keeps iPhone silent and display off
Optional iMessage auto reply to alert selected contacts that you’re driving
New features designed for iPad
An all new Dock provides quick access to your favorite and recently used apps and can even be shown on top of active apps
Dock resizes so you can add all of your favorite apps
Recently used and Continuity apps are available on the right
Enhanced Slide Over and Split View
Apps can be easily started in Slide Over and Split View from the Dock
Slide Over and background apps now run simultaneously
Apps in Slide Over and Split View can now be placed on the left side of the screen
Drag and drop
Move text, images, and files between apps on iPad
Multi-Touch to move multiple items at the same time
Spring-loading to move content between apps
Markup
Markup works across documents, PDFs, webpages, photos and more
Instant markup anything in iOS - just place Apple Pencil on what you want to mark
Create a PDF and markup anything that can be printed
Notes
Instantly create a new note by tapping on Lock Screen with Apple Pencil
Inline drawing available by simply placing Apple Pencil in body of a note
Search handwritten text
Document scanner autocorrects for skewing and uses image filters to remove shadows
Table support to organize and display information
Pin important notes to the top of the list
Files
All-new Files app to browse, search and organize files
Works with iCloud Drive and 3rd party cloud file providers
Recents view for quick access to recently used files across all apps and cloud services
Create folders and sort files by name, date, size and tags
QuickType
Flick down on letter keys to enter numbers, symbols and punctuation marks on iPad
One-handed keyboard support on iPhone
New keyboards for Armenian, Azerbaijani, Belarusian, Georgian, Irish, Kannada, Malayalam, Maori, Odia, Swahili, and Welsh
English input on the 10-key Pinyin keyboard
English input on the Japanese Romaji keyboard
HomeKit
New accessory types including AirPlay 2 speakers, sprinklers and faucets
Expanded occupancy, time and accessory based triggers
QR code and tap to pair accessory setup support
Augmented Reality
Augmented reality technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver content on top of real-world scenes for interactive gaming, immersive shopping experiences, industrial design and more
Machine Learning
Core machine learning technologies that apps from the App Store can use to deliver intelligent features with machine learning data processed on device for high performance and user privacy
Other features and improvements
Control Center redesign brings all controls on one page
Control Center custom controls including accessibility, guided access, magnifier, text size, screen recording and Wallet
Apple Music now helps you discover music with friends. Create a profile so friends can listen to playlists you’ve shared and see the music you listen to most
Apple News now includes Top Stories picked just for you, recommendations from Siri, the best videos of the day in Today View, and great stories selected by our editors in the new Spotlight tab
Automatic Setup signs you in to iCloud, Keychain, iTunes, App Store, iMessage, and FaceTime with your Apple ID
Automatic Setup restores device settings including language, region, network, keyboard preferences, places you frequently visit, how you talk to Siri, home and health data
Easily share access to your Wi-Fi networks
Storage optimization notifications and free up space in Settings for apps like Photos, Messages, and more
Emergency SOS calls emergency services based on your current location and automatically notifies emergency contacts, shares your location, and displays your Medical ID
FaceTime lets you capture Live Photos from the other person’s Mac or iPhone camera
Easily check Flight status in Spotlight and Safari
Definitions, conversions and math support in Safari
Russian and English bilingual dictionary
Portuguese and English bilingual dictionary
Arabic system font support
Accessibility
VoiceOver descriptions support for images
VoiceOver tables and lists support in PDFs
Type to Siri support for basic search queries
Spoken and braille caption support for videos
Dynamic Type increases text and app UI to larger sizes
Redesigned Invert Colors make media content easier to view
Highlight Colors improvements in Speak Selection and Speak Screen
Switch Control typing can scan and type whole words at a time
iOS 11 is performance optimized for 64-bit apps. 32-bit apps will need to be updated by the app developer to work with this version of iOS.
Some features may not be available for all countries or all areas, for more information visit: https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability and https://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new
For information on the security content of this update, please visit this website:
https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
anybody using ios11 with enterprise Outlook? Sounds like there are some issues but not sure how prevalent.....

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208136

If you can‘t send an email with iOS 11 and an Outlook.com or Exchange mail account
You might see an error message that says "Cannot Send Mail. The message was rejected by the server."

If your email account is hosted by Microsoft on Outlook.com or Office 365, or an Exchange Server 2016 running on Windows Server 2016, you might see this error message when you try to send an email with iOS 11: "Cannot Send Mail. The message was rejected by the server."
Apple is working closely with Microsoft to resolve the issue and will release a fix soon in an upcoming software update.

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2671 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Are these new photo and video formats common and as good quality?
Will they play nicely with my PC and photoshop?? Most of my memory is taken by photos and videos so it will be nice to take up less space.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Regarding comment on Apple pay above:

quote:
Apple Pay vs. Other Mobile Payment Systems
How does Apple Pay compare to other mobile payment systems? CurrentC has not yet launched so it's hard to say how secure it will prove to be, although it doesn't store sensitive information in mobile devices' secure elements. Instead, credit card data is stored in the cloud and a CurrentC app will generate a QR code that can be scanned to perform a transaction. Google Wallet and Softcard do use the secure element (like Apple Pay), and transactions are protected by a PIN.

A major difference between Apple Pay and Google Wallet comes down to who you are forced to trust, according to Doyle. "With Apple Pay, you trust Apple with the technology and your bank with your credit card information. With Google Wallet you trust your credit card and the technology to Google, so this does introduce a single point of failure that Apple Pay doesn't have," he says.

Although the actual transactions are not identical, with Google Wallet creating a virtual credit card while Apple Pay uses tokenization, "they are pretty much parallels (in terms of security)," Doyle adds.

When it comes to emerging payment methods like Apple Pay, perhaps the best way to look at it is not whether they are secure -- as nothing is 100 percent secure -- but whether using them is more secure than using credit cards. We know that the magnetic strip and signature system of credit cards used in the U.S. is not very secure at all - BI Intelligence estimates that credit card fraud in 2013 in the U.S. amounted to about $7.1 billion, more than half of all global payment card fraud costs.

When more secure credit cards with EMV chips (sometimes known as chip and PIN) become more commonplace in the U.S. in 2015, the rate of fraud is likely to fall. But even after the introduction of more secure credit cards in the U.S., Doyle believes that Apple Pay will prove to be more secure.
"Apple's system is a clear enhancement over chip and PIN," he says. "It's a win for customers, and for retailers that choose to take it -which they really should."

Link

OTOH, it's EXTREMELY easy to order something online if Apple Pay is accepted. I used it to order a Wicked Edge Go last night on my MacBook Pro with fingerprint sensing. A touch of the finger and--bam!--the money's gone.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Black, your questions about photo and video compatibility and quality are good ones, so far I haven't seen anything about it.

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I put it on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6. It seems to shorten my battery life considerably. My phone made it 3/4 of a day. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Will they play nicely with my PC and photoshop?? Most of my memory is taken by photos and videos so it will be nice to take up less space.

From what I've read the quality is much better than JEPG but a smaller size. This is not an Apple owned technology. If you move a file from your iOS device to a PC or other such device, it is converted to JEPG. I don't know if that happens if if you move it from one iOS device to another though. There's a lot of info on the web, just google HEIF file format. It is speculated this will eventually replace JEPGs everywhere.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I put it on my iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6. It seems to shorten my battery life considerably. My phone made it 3/4 of a day. Hopefully tomorrow is better.

That's one of my concerns: Battery life.

That's one thing Google tended to get right in later versions of Android: Battery life improvement. I'm already unimpressed with our iPhone 6S' in that respect.

ETA: Did some research. Yup: iOS 11 is a battery life killer. And not just a little, either. WTF, Apple?

I'll stick with 10.3, thank you very much.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Updated last night and it seems pretty snappy to me. I noticed all the fonts changed again and the cellular signal indicator went back to bars, no more dots.

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I can see this being a big problem for people with 16GB-32GB iPhones and not a lot of space. 2GB just to install? Damn.

The new file system is much more efficient. My 16 Gig iPhone 6 had about 2.5 Gigs free before the update. I was a little worried, but it updated fine and now I have over 4.6 Gigs free.

Posts: 89 | Location: North Texas | Registered: August 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

From what I've read the quality is much better than JEPG but a smaller size. This is not an Apple owned technology. If you move a file from your iOS device to a PC or other such device, it is converted to JEPG. I don't know if that happens if if you move it from one iOS device to another though. There's a lot of info on the web, just google HEIF file format. It is speculated this will eventually replace JEPGs everywhere.

Will it convert those already on the phone?

————————————————

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why does it seem that this is an issue with every upgrade they do?

Perhaps it's always turning back on every app in background and such.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:

Likely with each upgrade more processing power is needed. More processing power the more battery used.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Likely with each upgrade more processing power is needed. More processing power the more battery used.

Often a hard reset helps

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6225 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
quote:

Will it convert those already on the phone?

No. If it's been captured in JEPG it will stay that way until such time as someone offers up an app to do such conversions to legacy files. Additionally, if you are concerned about the HEIF format, you can turn this feature off in the settings. Settings>camera>formats> and select Most Compatible instead of Height Efficiency.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I upgraded on the Iphone 7 a couple of days ago. I have seen an issue occasionally where the App Store app would not connect and go into a loop retrying.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Because every upgrade spends the first 3-5 days reindexing the file system and other back in chores, which uses the system more until it gets fully installed. It also sometimes takes a few weeks or months for your favorite apps to be optizimed for the new os, letting the apps take advantage of the new tech, including energy management. I would bet just converting your device to APFS requires a bit of background work (if you haven't updated to 10.3 already).

We hear the battery complaint every update cycle, then a few months later, nothing. Either Apple tweaks the code, or the devices/apps settle in, or both.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8215 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m already not a fan of the HUGE FONT header at the top of everything, seriously? It’s taking up like 1/5 of the screen.
Roll Eyes

Posts: 33769 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
We hear the battery complaint every update cycle, then a few months later, nothing. Either Apple tweaks the code, or the devices/apps settle in, or both.

Looks like it may take a code tweak this time. When I looked into it last night the reports I read said even some users that had been running the "final beta" for weeks were still experiencing significantly reduced run-time.

I'm definitely going to wait to see how this shakes out before taking the plunge. Like I said: I already find the 6S' run-time less-than-stellar.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
To be honest with all we do these days with smartphones, I'm surprised they run as long as they do on a charge.