New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUD Advice Login/Join 
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted
Anyone know of the best heads up display for aftermarket application to vehicles? Particularly one that doesn't require altering the dash to mount? I'd like one that doesn't require / restrict to certain GPS providers.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Well, people don’t normally ask my advice, but....oh....never mind.

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While not a HUD, I use Waze from my iPhone - I typically put it over the dash instruments, as you can see Navigation and travel information in addition to your speed and the current speed limit during your normal interior scan of things.

I've looked at some aftermarket 'HUDs' and they all seem (1) expensive and (2) easily overtaken by new technology. Where as I'll always have a phone.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
While not a HUD, I use Waze from my iPhone - I typically put it over the dash instruments, as you can see Navigation and travel information in addition to your speed and the current speed limit during your normal interior scan of things.

I've looked at some aftermarket 'HUDs' and they all seem (1) expensive and (2) easily overtaken by new technology. Where as I'll always have a phone.

That's my approach and perspective after researching as well. It would be nice to have a true HUD / Waze option, though

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I have an app called Torque, which has a HUD mode. The tablet laying on the dash reflects up on your windshield. Works best at night. Don't know if you can include Waze in one of the modules, but a quick google seems to show there are a number of them that do.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post