SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fishing boat guys, please step in....<pic with question>
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fishing boat guys, please step in....<pic with question> Login/Join 
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted
Father in law died couple of months ago. MIL is trying to sell his fishing boat boat but has zero idea how to price it. I'm going up on Wednesday to get a few pics, but she's got a potential buyer at her lake. Here are the specifics:

- 1979 Evinrude outboard Motor.
35 HP...long shaft
Model 35903A

- Minnkota Electric Trolling Motor with foot control
Model 565C

- 1982 Deep Lake Fisherman (16')
Mirrocraft

- Spartan Boat Trailer

To ensure I am not breaking any forum rules:
- I am not offering this package for sale on the forum

- I will not sell this package to anyone on the forum, nor will I respond to any emails inquiring about its availability.

- I am simply hoping to pick the brains of experienced forum users who might be able to help me put together a reasonable price for potential local interested parties.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ronin1069,

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All fairly vintage stuff, pushing the envelope of reliability and repair IMO.

Around here, I'd expect someone to try and ask $1500 and be doing good if they got a grand. I think a lot of folks will try to get it for $750 or even less.

Posts: 1700 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I bought one very similar from a friend's mother after her father died about 15-20 years ago. Only difference was it had a Johnson 25HP long shaft.

I paid $1500.

I'd probably start at $2500 and see if you get any bites. Now is a good time of year to be selling a boat.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I have a 1994 16' Sea Nymph with a 25HP Evinrude outboard of similar vintage, and a trailer. Boat came with 3 seats, a livewell, lights, anchor, spare prop, older fish finder, 46lb minnkota trolling motor and deep cycle battery.

I paid $1800 3 years ago. I'd imagine something between $1500-$2000 would be a pretty fair deal if everything is in good shape. Maybe lower if not.

Posts: 8417 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
posted Hide Post
Used boat values vary wildly by geography. Around here, something like that wouldn't get you more than $1k-1200 on a good day.

Posts: 15665 | Location: Location, Location  | Registered: April 09, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Agree with the group. I would guess if your have a market for boats there. It would be in the $2200 to $2500.

A lot will depend on things like the trailer. Axle repacked, tires in good shape. Wiring in tact. Jack good, etc.

Is the motor serviced and running.

Boat good condition. No leaks or dents. Transom original and in good shape. etc.

If it is a gem it could be worth significantly more. Especially if you have an active market.

Hell, sell it to some one here. Why not. We are family.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sold my 87 Fischer with an 87 50hp johnson, two newer 7" lowrance graphs and an 80lb minnkota powerdrive trolling motor with copilot and foot pedal. Trailer was included. 3 deep cycle 29 series batteries and a 3 bank charger

I got $2100. Since the boat/motor/trolling motor is a bit older - no mention of other electronics - I'd say $1500 would be generous.

Shawn

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1745 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Probably not over $2000. I would probably list at that and aggressively Mark it down after a few days of inactivity.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
All about condition. Mirrorcraft is a well respected brand and those ol 2 cyl rudes run forever til they break. If it's clean and runs good it would bring $2000-2500 in s Indiana.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
That's a very popular size boat to sell, because it would be excellent to fish, lightweight to pull, and easy to launch and recover. One person can do it all. It's the 15' and up older fiberglass boats with bigger engines that are hard to sell.

If he had used it in recent years, and it had not just been sitting for a long time, I'd start around $2750 and be willing to knock 1/3 off. Again, a boat like that is not the kind that is hard to sell.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1857 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Condition is everything. It could be worth only $100 if it's been sitting outside under a tree for the last 3 years and doesn't run, to $2500 if it's really clean, well running, and well maintained.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
w/o pics, $890.00 "as is"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Now that I've seen the boat I'm going to drop the price, but this dents on the seams concern me.

Should they?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
For me, yes they would be of concern.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New low price:
$545.00 "as is"

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Other than cosmetic, does it make an aluminum boat less seaworthy?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
The longer it sits, the less it's gonna be worth. My boss had a bass boat for sale. He and a potential buyer were a couple hundred bucks apart on price. He wouldn't come down any further. And he ended up selling it a year later for even less than the first guy had offered. I'd urge her to not try to eek every last nickel out of any interested party.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
Other than cosmetic, does it make an aluminum boat less seaworthy?

It sure can. You can get leaks along the seams and rivets. I'd pass.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It just looks like a dent to me.....If that is a seam it should be a welded one. I don't see any creases or tears. Yes it does detract value, but I don't think the boat is going to take on water because of it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
As a buyer I'd pass even though the boat has a lot of calm water fun left in it. The Ohio River is my main water and it can get barge choppy even on calm days and low rider drift logs are usual. The dents may not take on water but I wouldn't trust 2 ft waves. If you can see the inside just back the trailer in and check with boat on trailer.

looking at the picture a little closer it kinda looks like the dents are cosmetic. I'd want to make the call in person. As a side story my first boat was a 16' Smoker Craft with a 35hp Evinrude tiller. Mid 1970s vintage and very sea worthy. I had it for a couple years in the mid 80s.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post