SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Not married but, most of my relationships have been with the political opposite. As things progressed, I'd state my positions, my reasons and entertain some discussions. As we'd get more involved and moved in, it was laid down that we wouldn't discuss politics. Occasionally, her lefty views would bubble up to the surface and I would ask if she really wanted to go down this road, that would end it.

One of my best friends is married to a gal who's pretty left and he's a solid Libertarian, loves his guns and loathes religion. She loves Obama, even bought a print of that fucking modern art painting of him. They've managed to keep political discussions to zero, and made sure there was nothing political hanging in their house...to include that print.

Posts: 14649 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^There is no way that can work with the constant biting of the tongue, shielding fragile lefty ears

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Both my wife and I were fairly liberal when we started dating in college. I was probably more liberal than her, but we both progressed and grew together. As we watched Reagan turn the country around, I started studying economics on my own and sharing what I learned with her, so we reached conclusions in stages at the same time.

That's a very fortunate thing, because I don't think I could be married to someone who was actively stabbing my company and my employees in the back every time she stepped into the voting booth.

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No, thank God. Don't think I could deal with it, especially these days.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
My ex is extremely liberal and I am very conservative. She unfortunately hid it very well prior to us getting married Red Face We had 2 boys together, but that's about the only thing we had in common. We remain friendly with each other but if we didn't have kids together I would have 0 interest in seeing her ever again.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
My ex is extremely liberal ... She unfortunately hid it very well prior to us getting married...

Just like when they run for office. I wonder if they have special training for that or if they are just deceitful by nature?

Posts: 8618 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
My wife is a member of the Liberal Democratic Party.

She makes me look like a leftist.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I flipped my wife. She is on the Trump train now.

Posts: 23 | Location: Western NY  | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your luck pal but it could have been avoided after the first date. Find their political leanings during the first date and then walkaway if they are Bernie losers. No way, no how, will I subject myself to a lifetime of disappointment and arguments at home over politics.

My wife of 16 years just shit canned me this week and you can bet a shiny $100 bill that when I start dating again that I’ll find a nice conservative girl.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I feel so blessed my wife and I agree on everything. Money , religion, politics. Also 99% of both sides of our families are conservative. But I have a close friend who's wife is a raving liberal and he is just the opposite. They spend more time apart than together for obvious reasons. He stays home while she travels all over the place. He tells me about her constantly seeking the meaning of life quests. Right now she's into Oprah Winfrey meditation. Loved everything Obama etc. A fan of BLM. Really feel for the guy. They have a daughter who is following in the mothers footsteps.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
My wife of 16 years just shit canned me this week

Shit, sorry to hear that, but it may be for the best.

I divorced my wife a several months ago, and while it was tough at first, I am significantly happier now.

Head up. Power through the initial rough period. It gets better, I promise.

quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Sorry for your luck pal but it could have been avoided after the first date. Find their political leanings during the first date and then walkaway if they are Bernie losers.

Not necessarily. Some folks are good at hiding their true nature. Sometimes for years. And people do change, too... It's easy if they're clearly a far-left Bernie support from first blush. But if they're an apparent conservative with some liberal leanings who's trying hard to pretend to be more conservative than they really are, and/or whose political beliefs then begin slipping dramatically further left many years into the relationship (as it was with my ex-wife), it's not so cut and dried.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
no. we are both conservatives. can't imagine it any other way.

i don't mind people who have different opinions.

problem is today's Ds are so rabidly anti-American / leftist I don't hold out much hope for them

--------------------------------

I agree. I can’t imagine not being able to pick apart a lefty argument with facts on 90% of their policy.

Both of my wife’s parents were Democrats and her and her brother are both far right Republicans so it’s easy for me. I can’t imagine listening to lefty drivel at home.

Posts: 3914 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
My personal beliefs and convictions dictate the political party that I am a member of. These beliefs are hard, fast, and at the core of my being. My core beliefs have never changed and I personally couldn't marry someone who didn't share those beliefs. We just celebrated 27 years of marriage. We have two adult children who share our values. One of my children is married to someone who shares our values. This is the way. Cool

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
Myself, my daughter and son and her daughter are all for Trump.

My wife, nope. Fortunately she doesn't like to talk politics except for in our local county elections.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
Wife is more right than me, which is funny a lot of times. She can say a lot of things that I can't. Having just had a daughter Im really grateful.

Her dad is now a stone cold commie, having re-married an old blue-money oligarch cunt. But that's another story...

Posts: 5131 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
My wife, son are on board with staunch conservative values. My daughter is open to my views however she was raised the last years of high school and college by her mother, (my ex) and her liberal step father. She wants me to send her conservative information . I could not and would never be with a liberal partner!! Hell, I have hard time stomaching my liberal friends.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4834 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm blessed with a wife who is as conservative as they come. All her friends and the folks she worked with were pretty liberal and supported Hillary and, now, Biden. She maintains her relationships with these friends by not talking politics and by keeping them away from me Big Grin.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm not married, but I have cousins that I grew up with as surrogate siblings. Only one of them is still alive. Years ago she was more left than Sen. Kennedy. She thinks I'm to the right of Genghis Khan. We do not discuss politics at all. (I can't imagine how she is now, politically.) When I see/talk with her, we discuss her children and grandchildren. It works.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I started out pretty much a democrat. Of course it was when the dems weren't insane. I was a D because my parents were D. Ronald Reagan and Rush Limbaugh really opened my eyes as how to look at and think about politics. I owe the 2 of them a debt I can never repay. My parents would never believe what the democrat party has turned in to.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post