SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue Login/Join 
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I never had a wife that was a liberal and never would. There is no way I could live with a Dem.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
My Ex is a professor in the social works dept....we get along...now but still press each others buttons when we socialize.

My lovely 3rd wife came from Ukraine....she knows true repression and while is not as crazy as I ( love the debates/conversations) she is still firmly in the the R column

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't have that problem, but I'd like to think I'd be okay. There are intelligent, thoughtful people on both sides of the political spectrum. And there are dim-witted idiots on both sides of the political spectrum. I don't think I could deal with a dimwit, but I'd hope I could deal with an intelligent person who just disagreed with me.

My oldest son is extremely intelligent, but leans left politically. I think I frustrate him more than he does me, but I am okay with him thinking the way he thinks. I often tell him that I am truly proud of him for being such a thoughtful, caring person; and that he has to realize that I am a thoughtful, caring person, who has different ideas about the best way to help people. But, he is not a loony either, and can intelligently discuss/argue his position.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Nope and glad I married a (mostly) sane woman.

Posts: 1809 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Couldn’t do it.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7942 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
My wife is Liberal. I am leaving her next Spring, she's unaware of this. I can't deal with it anymore. 2nd marriage for us both , but it is what it is.

Sorry to hear of this. Like I posted, can't even imagine.

I am going to be 66 this December and want to leave Missouri for out West to retire (Back home)and she will not leave her daughter and grandkids. That and the move to Kansas City 3 and 1/2 yrs. ago almost broke the Camels back and I have no desire to spend my retirement miserable.

Posts: 366 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
My wife has her PhD in Social Work and a LCSW. She is pro-gun, pro police, and her focus of study has been Veteran reintegration. When I met her I invited her to go shooting (our first date) to include cleaning weapons afterward while watching Full Metal Jacket. Normally this weeds out the closet anti gunners. Bless her heart. Our first trip was to Knob Creek. When it comes to politics she is very anti Trump and Obama walks on water. She can’t stand Fox News and has a tendency to believe whatever the media is pushing, causing me to prove the level of bullshit they are shoveling. My oldest daughter tries to be in middle ground. She became a citizen before the 2016 election and I’m proud to say that even though she wouldn’t vote for Trump, she would NOT vote for Hillary Clintoris.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
When she has to watch Steven Colbert (pronounced "douche bag"), with his poor Trump impressions, I have to leave the room.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
My wife is apolitical.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
My wife is apolitical.

Does she vote?

Q

Posts: 26345 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
My wife is apolitical.

Does she vote?

She's not a US citizen. She does (or did) vote in France in every election, but politics there are not exactly the same here.

She has an open mind about Trump and my side of political issues, but she just doesn't engage in political discussions. Actually, something that just came up today with Trump she asked my opinion about. It had to do with the bullshit, loaded question a reporter asked Trump that went something like, "will you peacefully transfer power after the election." And Trump basically said we'll see how it turns out. She asked because the French media made a big deal about it. After I explained how absurd the question was (especially considering how democrats still haven't accepted the 2016 election and how clearly this election is bound to be fraught with fraud), she nodded her head and saw the reality. Not to mention the question simply said "after the election" as if the results are a foregone conclusion. Ridiculous. And then the reporter shows his ass by saying, "but people are rioting!" Douchebag.

Another example with Trump (and she on the surface is not a huge fan but appreciates perfectly that I am) responded to her cousin in France who criticized Trump for not locking down the entire US. Having had me explain to her in the past our system of federalism and State rights, she understood why this would be a gross abuse of power for a US President to do and explained this to her cousin. She brought up the fact that France right now is starting to lock down once again, but this time Macron is allowing local leaders to make the decisions on how far they go. Should a city like Marseille with a lot of cases have the same draconian restrictions as Brest which doesn't? The point is, she defended Trump's actions because she saw the logic in it even if she doesn't particularly like him on a personal level.

There is one issue in which we seem to be irrevocably on opposite sides of though, and that is abortion. We don't discuss it much as a result.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We used to have a mixed marriage. When I started dating my wife, she and her brother were driving to the local state college in an old Chevy Suburban with a huge Goldwater sign on top. I was a Kennedy Democrat.
I was the one who changed, but from seeing life under Communism in eastern Europe, studying Soviet history, and reading.

Now we're a redder/reddest marriage, with who is redder varying from issue to issue.

My wife complains about Trump's style. I have learned to love the guy and never criticize him to my wife.
We'd both crawl over broken glass to vote for him.

All three of our kids are conservatives, the two married ones are married to conservatives (although my daughter-in-law thinks Trump is anti-women).

Don't let me get started talking about my brother's side of the extended family.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Wife and I walk the same road politically.

She's prone to buy into conspiracy theories and is certain that the DemonRats are executing all sorts of nefarious plots to steal the election and literally lays awake nights worrying about it. I'm confident Trump will kick ass so massively that it will be impossible to question the results.

Her sister and one of my two daughters are completely stoned on Liberal Koolaid and are convinced that Trump is Da Debbil. No point in even talking to either of them.

Other daughter is apolitical and doesn't even vote. There's an ongoing program of gentle persuasion. When talking to us, her views align pretty well with ours, just haven't managed (yet) to get her to see the danger of apathy.

Not sure what my son's actual views are, as he's so pussy-whipped he'll only parrot whatever that twat he's married to tells him, and she's the poster child for TDS.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15209 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in a red/blue relationship and it is about over

Over the 23 years we have been together she has always been somewhat blue but for the last few years she has gotten worse

She is definitely anti-trump. Even when Obama was in office i was never this bad but I could at least be civil.

Now throw in all this whoa is me/hug a thug BLM and white guilt and she is all over it.

She must have forgotten how long we struggled because I could not get a job because I did not check the right crayola box or was a male. She also must have forgotten the 10 years I put in LE and the 4 as investigator. The late night call outs, homicides, barricade situations due to the all the future FFA's (Future Felons of America)

I am about fed up especially since the last four years I cannot even get a Police Officer interview because I do not fit the mold. Then hear how racist the cops are, and how they don;t hire enough minorities.

My sister is also a full-blown lefty koolaid gulper who hates Trump, loved Obama, and Hillary and Biden. She just found out she has myeloid leukemia and is in a rotten marriage with a bum of a husband. BUT BUT.. She is more worried about Trump getting re-elected and gets sick over it. (What a tard)

I am saying this relationship is over.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mrapteam666,

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
No, I couldn't do it.

My wife and I met 13 years ago and have been married for 11. When we met, she was pretty liberal. Very liberal, actually. That has changed drastically over time, thankfully, because if she had gone the other way, I'm pretty sure this would have been over by now. She's still not as far right as I am, but we don't argue politics. If it's a topic she feels strongly about, she'll bring it up or talk about it with me, but otherwise, she doesn't even like talking politics. I think we both agree so much of it is completely fucked, but I'm the one who will rant about it while she just decides to switch it off and put her mental energy into other things. She voted for Trump and will do so again, because he was the only logical choice the first time and he did so well with the economy despite being hamstrung at every turn.

I can't, and won't discuss politics with her father or sisters. I made that mistake once. Once. My mother-in-law leans much more conservative, but given her environment and who she lives with, she's inundated with constant lefty shit and her perspective is a bit warped. We enjoy talking politics and she's been open and receptive to me giving her the rest of the story that the news likes to skip over in regards to Trump.

My parents were career law enforcement, so they are obviously solidly conservative. My sister is a full-blown lefty koolaid gulper who hates Trump, loved Obama, and I'm assuming Hillary and Biden. Not sure, we don't talk much, honestly. I've been around the country enough to see how badly liberal strongholds operate vs. the reality of conservative strongholds, and she's lived most of her life in New York, and will probably never leave.

The few posts about highschool girlfriends made me wonder, so I fired up the Facebook account and had a look at what mine was up to. Six kids, heavily involved in her church, and a lot of stuff about how Covid is a fucking scam. Good for her!

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Thought this was gonna be an Alabama/Auburn thread. My wife has always said being married to a Democrat was more likely than a bammer fan!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would not be involved with a Democrat female beyond just the obvious physical attraction. There would be nothing there to relate to or share of value.
I can’t suffer willfully stupid beliefs I guess.
An anti gun wife would never happen either.

Happily married to a conservative progun church raised hot woman!

Posts: 3498 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I couldn't do it, no way.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I certainly couldn't do it.
Thankfully my Mrs is totally Conservative.

Runnin' and gunnin' (slowly..)

Posts: 98 | Location: Malta | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
My wife is a conservative but isn't a fan of Trump. She doesn't like how he talks to our about people and feels he demeans them. She says she will vote for him but isn't excited about it.

I've tried to explain to her that some of the stuff he does is to make the left go crazy. He will literally say something (with no intention of doing it) just to rile them up. She doesn't see this, but guys understand what he's doing.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4521 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post