SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I thought those marriages were simply the norm in the western continental U.S.? Maybe I'm hanging out in the wrong places.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
My wife comes from a family of immigrants, and though she is a citizen the mentality of "immigrants are mistreated" is still there. And all the blame is on white people, etc etc etc.

I will say however, that she understands a lot of this just comes from the culture and growing up "ignorant" to the real problems.

She is willing to learn, and we've put a stop to all the drama in our house. I do think some of the problems her family faced are sincere none of them are immigrant-only problems.

She has even taken a liking to learning about firearms, doubt she would have on her own but at least she is trying.

I believe she is allowed to feel however she wants and I never push her to change her views. I only ask that she simply be able to express WHY she feels a way and once we discuss it together we are both free to come to our own conclusion.

I do appreciate having a different point of view, not dramatic and hysterical, but a different background. We do well together when it comes to most things.

With regards to my wife's dislike of Trump, I can't often argue as I too think he's a complete moron but whether fortunate or unfortunate he is most aligned with the things I find most important. And usually with a little education she sees that it's the same for her as well.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bob ramberg
posted Hide Post
Married 31 years so far. It wasn't always this bad. Severe case of Trump Derangement Syndrome. Its not constant but several times a week I get the "do you know what Trump said/did/didn't do?"
I don't have time to look into everything but I sure hope she's wrong on a lot of it. I've already told her that NOTHING she could say or do would change my mind. As for things we still have in common? The list seems to get shorter every year. But other than the TDS, she really is a great woman with many good qualities.

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
My wife & I are both in lockstep, the 24 y/o Son too. We have to use one vote to cancel out the loony left neighbor, 77 or so y/o single lady.

If not in one of the 11(or less) swing States, don’t get to wrapped up, if you can. Yes, it would be very hard under the same roof.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
My father and I were the Trump supporters in our family, my mother and brother are RINOs and voted for Clinton, and I'm sure they'll vote Biden this year. My brother is a Covid-aid drinker and has a BLM sign in his front yard. My father passed away last year, so I guess that means he'll be voting Biden. My wife and her family are all a notch or two more conservative than me. The stuff her mom and sister-in-law says sometimes raises my eyebrow even. I would rather spend time around her family than my own lately. I feel for those less fortunate. Watching FaceSpace, the majority of my exes turned into dems/white privilege appologizer/BLMers.

Posts: 2514 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Fortunately I am in a red/red marriage. Probably our only real political difference is my Wife laments the loss of civility in politics. My Wife is sometimes dismayed at Trumps tweets but ultimately still supports him. I am of the opinion that civility in politics is dead thanks to the machinations of the left and as a result, the left deserves a president who trolls. We will both vote red in November and that is most important fact to not loose sight of.

Posts: 3144 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tried dating a democrat gal. Went well until she started berating Trump out of the blue, she almost earned herself a long walk home.

Posts: 881 | Registered: December 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When Mrs DF and I were dating I carefully approached the political topic early. She turned out to be as conservative as I was. She was not only reflexively conservative but even better, in principle. Her principles drive her perspectives. So I went into the marriage knowing we would not have conflict.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john crusher:
My wife is Liberal. I am leaving her next Spring, she's unaware of this. I can't deal with it anymore. 2nd marriage for us both , but it is what it is.

Sorry to hear of this. Like I posted, can't even imagine.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16679 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
In my circle of friends and acquaintances, it’s usually the male who “alters” his beliefs and politics based on what the female wants.

Those are the true pussies.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
My ex became more liberal as our marriage went on. We were so different it just could not work. I absolutely won't date a liberal woman ever again.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38657 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
My wife is extremely fiscally conservative, and hates "The Man". She is constantly prattling on about government overreach. I enjoy it. However, she is extremely socially liberal. We have good discussions and generally respect each-other's views.

I love hanging out with her mother and aunts / uncles tho. They are off the boat Italians. The shit that comes out of their mouths is awesome, ESPECIALLY when it comes to renaming Columbus Day. I swear that they are 1/2 step away from getting the pitchforks out and heading downtown whenever they talk about removing statues etc.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
We're all good here. My wife is actually more to the right than I. Both kids are too. My daughter, a recent graduate of Syracuse University, thinks Michelle Obama is or was a man, lol (not that there's anything wrong with that).

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8523 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I was. She wasn't a full-blown liberal when we were dating and first married, but began drinking the Kool-Aid during the Obama years, then went full tilt for Hillary in the last election, and was rabidly anti-Trump and anti-Republican from there.

We divorced in March. Political differences weren't a primary factor in the divorce, but it sure didn't help.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Know exactly what you are going through. When the wife and I married in 1966, she and her whole family were staunch Democrats and my family was Republican. The first 10 years were tedious at best and politics was something off the table when we got together but my wife slowly started to actually listen and pay attention to what was going on. Being in the military and moving around seeing the real world also helped open her eyes. As the years progressed our political views came together and now she is a die hard conservative.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
My father is in one of these types of arrangements. She is slightly left of Bernie. He used to be a die hard conservative.

He fought commies in Vietnam. Now, he is living with one.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I was once young and stupid...married my college GF who was a left wing nut. We fought often about politics, guns, etc. Took me 12 years to come to my senses. Bitter divorce was how it ended. Now happily married to a true conservative.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Twenty years ago I was engaged to a young, staunch liberal attorney. Thank God it was broken off, otherwise we’d be at each other’s throats come election season.
I won the lottery six years later when I married my wife - beautiful, smart and conservative. She’s become more Republican as the years have passed and we see eye to eye on the traitorous Demoncrats.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Republican was table stakes when we started dating. She had a ccw before I met her, so we don’t have any issues. Not sure I could deal with a liberal especially right now....

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
My wife of now 48 yrs was a Dem until Obama came along.My wife and her sister were lifelong dems from a Dem family history. They both voted for Trump! The wife even changed parties!! Life is so much more pleasant when you’re on the same page. My #1 daughter and her husband have always Been Republicans. So now to get my # 2 Daughter and her husband onboard. And the family will be complete. (-;

Posts: 4409 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post