SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone else have in a "Mixed Marriage"? Red/Blue Login/Join 
Picture of bob ramberg
posted
I cannot wait for this election season to be over. My wife and daughter, god bless them, are both rabid anti-Trump, while my son and I both support him. We have banned political discussion at the dinner table, least they turn disorderly as they have in the past. I swear that my wife spends half her time just looking stuff up to shove in my face, make a point or contradict something I said. I have neither the desire or the time to do the research to play "Point-Counterpoint" with her. Plus her memory is much better than mine. (who ever said "an elephant never forgets" must have never met a woman!)
They are both ant-gun as well and of course are saying that Biden/Harris will not try to take our guns!
This is driving me nuts. How are the rest of you that are in mixed marriages coping?

Bob
Carpe Scrotum

Posts: 1366 | Location: Democratic Peoples Republic of Madiganistan | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
My wife and only child, college age son are both Republican conservatives, Trump supporters. And I'm thankful for this arrangement.

I have been thinking of this lately, the country is so divided politically and culturally. I feel real bad for your situation. I cannot fathom how I could deal with the same scenario.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16693 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is Liberal. I am leaving her next Spring, she's unaware of this. I can't deal with it anymore. 2nd marriage for us both , but it is what it is.

Posts: 368 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Holy shit that sucks.

My wife has some liberal tendencies, but not far left crap. She supports Trump but she’s not vocal.

My parents and most of my siblings on the other hand....I can’t speak a word of politics with them. Rabid anti Trump, Covid cool aid drinkers.

I honestly could not date/marry a liberal Democrat. I’m accosted in every front of my life. If home was not a welcome place, I couldn’t do it.

God bless you, Sir.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I feel real bad for your situation. I cannot fathom how I could deal with the same scenario.

Same here. My wife is a rock-ribbed conservative. We are soulmates and compatible intellectually. I'm not sure I could handle it any other way.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NMPinNYC
posted Hide Post
I am a staunch Conservative, registered Republican, married to a misguided lefty whose vote I endeavor to cancel out each and every chance I get. Her side of the family, also lefties. I thought you were supposed to get wiser as you got older?

Best regards,
Nick.

NRA Life Member and Certified Instructor

Posts: 710 | Location: Back in northern NJ/NY State Catskills | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is weird. While I'm reading this thread, I received a call for my wife on my mobile number from the Washington State Democrats about the Washington State voters pamphlet coming out in a few weeks. That call became disconnected before the caller could get any further into her script. My wife voted democrat during the last election (read: Hilary) but I've cured that for the upcoming election.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Nope! I can’t even imagine how that would work?

My wife may be even MORE conservative than me!

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
That doesn’t seem healthy. What do you guys have in common?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
I remember as a kid my parents had opposing views on politics. I hated election time.

My wife and I are both conservatives and Trump supports. She is about as far right as you can get and that's ok with me. Smile

Posts: 1955 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Nope, I don't think I can survive in such an environment. Your spouse in your face every chance she gets? Are you kidding me?

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
No freaking way I could make that work. I’m too stubborn and opinionated. It’s probably why I was single so long!

I eventually found the unicorn...her whole family is college educated and conservative. All three of their daughters, and my in laws, and most of the rest are staunch Trump loving conservatives.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm watching a friend of mine go through this. He is conservative. Wife HATES President Trump, very uncomfortable at times.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bob ramberg:
I cannot wait for this election season to be over. My wife and daughter, god bless them, are both rabid anti-Trump, while my son and I both support him. We have banned political discussion at the dinner table, least they turn disorderly as they have in the past. I swear that my wife spends half her time just looking stuff up to shove in my face, make a point or contradict something I said. I have neither the desire or the time to do the research to play "Point-Counterpoint" with her. Plus her memory is much better than mine. (who ever said "an elephant never forgets" must have never met a woman!)
They are both ant-gun as well and of course are saying that Biden/Harris will not try to take our guns!
This is driving me nuts. How are the rest of you that are in mixed marriages coping?
Have you considered a divorce and writing both of them out of your Will? Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was just thinkin’ how difficult it is to be a Leo in ordinary life, let alone a red & blue marriage. Get cussed at daily, not appreciated, deadly work for low pay and the come home to little or no peace. Boy, what a drag.

Mad respect for all you 1st responders! We damn sure need you!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same situation. I refuse to talk politics with the wife or her sisters. It works better this way. BTW we have been married 40 years.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I couldn't/wouldn't be in a marriage like that. Rush has always called liberalism a mental disorder and I tend to agree with him.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m libertarian and my wife is a democrat. As long as you’re civil, stick to facts and can agree to disagree at times, it works. We are both fiscally conservative, socially liberal, and have a lot of common interests. If you could vote on issues and not parties (or ranked choice vote), we would be even more aligned.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I couldn't/wouldn't be in a marriage like that. Rush has always called liberalism a mental disorder and I tend to agree with him.

I believe it was Savage who coined that phrase.

Q

Posts: 26379 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm way, way to the right. My wife is way, way, way to the right. 2 adult kids are just way to the right.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post