SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Automation guys: I need an automatic dialer. Who's got knowledge?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Automation guys: I need an automatic dialer. Who's got knowledge? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Good morning, SF.

A project at work has me putting a PLC and an HMI together for an multiple-oven process monitor. Boiled down, I'll have the PLC watching signals from several independent ovens, tied to an HMI for on-site monitoring. The HMI is email-capable, and I'll use that feature to send an email or a text message when certain conditions exist (over temperature, for instance).

Planning last week led to the [now-obvious] truth that a text or an email could easily go unnoticed when the system sends it at 2am or some such. That, of course, led to the question: is there a device we can add that would set off a couple of phone calls to specific people under an alarm condition? something that could take a simple digital input as its trigger?

I'm sure such a thing exists, but my surfing hasn't let me to it yet. Anyone dealt with such a device or system?

Thanks, all.

-----
Because I hate it when others use acronyms I'm not familiar with, and I'd hate to do that to someone else:
PLC: Programmable logic controller
HMI: Human-machine interface (Essentially, a touch-screen control panel.)

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Most of our PLC functions are internal. Hartman and Braun had that function in their GC’s via a land line connection decades ago so I’m sure there’s a way to do it. I’ve never had a need for that so I can’t help but I’m guessing someone here has done it.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
I just found this: http://ipautodialer.com/

It looks as simple as what I'm looking for. I need to do some more learning, though.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Have you verified that your HMI won't send to multiple addesses?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
Have you verified that your HMI won't send to multiple addesses?

I can send to multiple addresses, yes. But still, an email or a text is likely to go unnoticed. Ringing the maintenance manager's phone (or my boss's phone) is going to get some attention! Wink

My boss has even told me that he's disabled email alerts on his phone. Reason? He gets over a hundred work emails in a given day. He'd be interrupted every few minutes if he left that turned on. The phone ringer, however, gets left turned on.

God bless America.

I don't know man I
just got here myself
Picture of mrw
posted Hide Post
We looked at using one of these Weidmuller Cell Modem

Never did use it but what I liked about it is that it has a series of inputs that you can toggle from the PLC and then canned phone calls go out based on the inputs activated.

mrw

Hand Made Custom Knives
www.sandownforge.com

Posts: 1736 | Location: Gulf Coast Florida | Registered: June 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
We use One Call Now for alerting employees. It will send a voice, text and email from their web/mobile interface or you can use their API to launch canned messages from your own program. Don't know if you will have any software involved that could use this feature.

https://help.onecallnow.com/ap...8/~/web-services-3.2

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post