SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dumb question - low-G uke tuning
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dumb question - low-G uke tuning Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I have a tenor uke that I want to convert to low-G.

1) I only need to change string 4, correct?

2) Can I use my Kliq tuner as-is? G is G? Or does the Uke setting assume high-G and so I should hold fret 4 and tune to C?

Thanks

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
With a Uke, one should never fret the small stuff.

Mai ho`okaumaha

Hope this helps.
https://ukuleletricks.com/tuni...ur-ukulele-to-low-g/

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I had to get out my Kamaka tenor uke to check, yes it has the low G string. Sounds better that way, you only change that string, the tuner will work fine.
Autocorrect changed “Kamaka” to “Kamala”, combine that with “G-string” and you want to get that image out of your mind right now!

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
With a Uke, one should never fret the small stuff.

Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38601 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love SF! Now not only can I speak German, I now know how to tune a Uke.
I believe if all of us got together in the same room, we could build a rocket to Mars and have a range set up on it the same day we land!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Love SF! Now not only can I speak German, I now know how to tune a Uke.
I believe if all of us got together in the same room, we could build a rocket to Mars and have a range set up on it the same day we land!

Should I get started? Wink

Posts: 3572 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
K-88, C is a 5th above G, so if you tune the low-G first, you would hold down above the 5th fret to tune C on the second string.

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
my dog has fleas
fleas has dog my

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
K-88, C is a 5th above G, so if you tune the low-G first, you would hold down above the 5th fret to tune C on the second string.

Isn't C a 4th above G?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Yes. I didn’t believe my own fingers.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I think I better understand this conversion.

Is there a benefit of tie bridges vs pin bridges? Current uke has a tie bridge and the knots and string routing (underneath each other) looks very nice and complicated. Watched some videos but I can't really figure it out.

Pin bridges look much simpler to manage. To convert to low-G, seems like I will need to change the for string 4 (make it a little wider - it's sized for high-G).

May just buy another comparable uke and convert that. If so, pin bridge seems less complicated and more DIY (for someone w/ my level of minimal aptitude). Any reason to be averse to pin bridges?

Any recommendation for a uke w/ pin bridge comparable to the Kala KA-TG (~$150-200)?

ETA: general scan of uke shopping sites: seems like everything is some sort of tie bridge.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Here is a good video on bridge tying.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What about a zero-G uke?

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Love the 1000:1 scale video Smile