SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone familar with how T-Mobile sends emails as SMS??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone familar with how T-Mobile sends emails as SMS?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I have a gmail account setup that I use for my home security cameras.
My program sends me an e-mail to this account but also sends a Text message to my mobile phone number using the gmail account.
I used to receive the text message from xxx@gmail.com. Which was nice as I created that email address as a contact and assigned it a different text message tone that way I knew if it was a text of a motion notification without looking.

Here recently they are coming from random number strings xxx-x so now I have no way of setting up a specialized tone.

Anyone know if there is a way to change this or why it changed from my e-mail address being the sender.
I contacted customer support for my camera software and they say it is on Tmobile's end.

Figured I would ask here before I spend a ton of time on hold and getting passed to 35 different people at T-Mobile.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25411 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
I am assuming you're sending the texts via email through your10digitmobilenumber@tmomail.net.

If you send a text manually from your email account (say gmail), does it work as you expect or is it some random number as well?

I assume you've already been looking at the info here: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-3309

Edit:

Wanted to add that when I send an email to my phone (tmo) through gmail, the message I receive is indicated as being from that email #.

My suspicion is that if you send a test text message through email, that it will show as coming from that email as you expect.

I suspect the issue is the camera software personally.

Did you have this working as expected through the camera and it stopped working recently?

Sorry for all of the questions - just trying to clarify if the email > text doesn't work as it used to for anything, or just the messages coming in through the camera?

Posts: 249 | Registered: November 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Yes, sending manually from the gmail account also gives the random xxx-x sender info.

It was always showing the email address as the sender up until about a month ago. Now it is 9 times out of 10 coming from the xxx-x.

————————————————

Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
What phone are you using?

Are all of your other texts associating correctly with your contacts?

Any software changes (phone upgrade, new phone, new application) around the time things stopped working?

Can you see any pattern between when it works and when it doesn't? Such as your location - which could differentiate if the phone is using the cell network instead of wifi.

The only thing that comes to mind to try is clearing the cache on the messaging app (which will likely clear all of your current texts).

Outside of that, your best bet may be to call the SMS support line. Use the T-mobile link in my first post, choose the devices link under there, find your device, look at the messages & email, manage messages and find the sms service center number instructions.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
iPhone.
No changes to anything.
I have tried from multiple different mail services and get the random number string.
I see no rhyme or reason as to why occasionally it will come from the gmail sender.

Guess I'll call but figured I'd ask here first before sitting on hold forever and getting bounced around.

————————————————

Picture of cyanide357
posted Hide Post
Sorry Man. Sorry I can't provide a straight forward solution.

The fact it is coming in through different inbound numbers, then it is probably on the carrier side - or at very least maybe they have a solution documented.

Forgive my unfamiliarity with the iphone, but are the texts being received / processed by iMessage?

I'll throw this link in just in case it could help in the event it is due to imessage itself. https://appletoolbox.com/2017/...-problems-in-ios-11/

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
iPhone.

I'm pretty certain that's iMessage nonsense. If so: Not TMO's fault & nothing they can do about it.

You can turn off iMessage to find out.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
iPhone.

I'm pretty certain that's iMessage nonsense. If so: Not TMO's fault & nothing they can do about it.

You can turn off iMessage to find out.

No change after turning iMessage off.

————————————————

Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
As another data point, tmomail.net hasn't been working for some months now, where before it was fairly reliable. I rarely text interactively, but rely on SMS to get programmatic alerts on misbehaving servers, etc. so I track this kind of thing closely. T-mobile appears to have abandoned their email->text service.

Posts: 6459 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
As another data point, tmomail.net hasn't been working for some months now, where before it was fairly reliable.

Working fine for me.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post